My jolting/jerkin issue with video | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My jolting/jerkin issue with video

Mdeniz

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer
This is what my 06 4.6L 4x4 is doing.

Only does it on partial throttle, mostly uphill, and only low rpm range. I have changed plugs/coils, and there is no check engine light, no matter how much i instigate the issue to happen.

Any ideas are welcomed at this point. My local dealer sucks so I'm trying to diagnose it on my own. It seemed like a misfire at first but now I'm leaning towards something wrong with the tranny control module. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try cleaning the throttle body and mass air flow sensor.

Change the fuel filter maybe.

You're really "lugging" the engine at that speed. Increase throttle pressure so its not searching between gears.

Throtle body is next on my list ( New motor and TPS as well). The fuel filter is 1 week old.

That is the RPM the truck will run on at a residential street speed, there is NO reason the tranny needs to be searching for a gear this way, not to mention the jolting/jerking.

Check trans fluid level.

Check trans fluid level.

did a whole service on the tranny and fluid levels are good/new

I bought a new throtle body, new throtle body motor and TPS this week. I have a feeling it has to do with the fly by wire.

We had a 06 Mountaineer in the shop today doing exactly what yours is doing in the video. I had my scanner monitoring the transmission, in particular the TCC slip. Everytime the RPM's jumped the converter slipped, almost like a rhythm, this one had a vibration also sometimes.

Its the converter, I would wait before installing the throttle body and TPS. If you could get your dealer or someone you trust that has a decent scanner that can monitor data stream to watch the TCC slip you should see the same issue.

The customer took her vehicle with her because she needs to talk it over, we were unable to tell her much about why its doing that because we just did a road test for her. At best it might be a solenoid issue, or a failed converter apply piston. If the valve body has to be replaced its a pricey 1700.00 and it will have to be programed for another 200.00. Replacing this transmission come with a price tag around 4800.00 (my cost). I have rebuilt a few of these, they are the 6R60 (ZF6HP26) they come in Range Rovers and BMW's and others, these repairs have gone into the low 5K. The Range Rovers and BMW's have needed replacement valve bodys during the rebuild due to worn valves and internal leaks. I have done one in a Ford and replaced the valve body due to a leaky cooler in the radiator, the water ruins the TCM which is located on the valve body inside the transmission and it will cause all the seals to swell and the clutch material to deteriorate.

If we get this vehicle back I should be able to narrow it down a little more, she had to know worse case so we told her about the others and I am sure all she remembers is $5300.00 when she left.

We had a 06 Mountaineer in the shop today doing exactly what yours is doing in the video. I had my scanner monitoring the transmission, in particular the TCC slip. Everytime the RPM's jumped the converter slipped, almost like a rhythm, this one had a vibration also sometimes.

Its the converter, I would wait before installing the throttle body and TPS. If you could get your dealer or someone you trust that has a decent scanner that can monitor data stream to watch the TCC slip you should see the same issue.

The customer took her vehicle with her because she needs to talk it over, we were unable to tell her much about why its doing that because we just did a road test for her. At best it might be a solenoid issue, or a failed converter apply piston. If the valve body has to be replaced its a pricey 1700.00 and it will have to be programed for another 200.00. Replacing this transmission come with a price tag around 4800.00 (my cost). I have rebuilt a few of these, they are the 6R60 (ZF6HP26) they come in Range Rovers and BMW's and others, these repairs have gone into the low 5K. The Range Rovers and BMW's have needed replacement valve bodys during the rebuild due to worn valves and internal leaks. I have done one in a Ford and replaced the valve body due to a leaky cooler in the radiator, the water ruins the TCM which is located on the valve body inside the transmission and it will cause all the seals to swell and the clutch material to deteriorate.

If we get this vehicle back I should be able to narrow it down a little more, she had to know worse case so we told her about the others and I am sure all she remembers is $5300.00 when she left.

Thank you so much for your post, please keep me posted if the mountaineer comes back. There is so many "hesitation" issues well documented on this vehicles, and so far the solutions for the folks i've been able to ready about have been:

-Misfire in #8 cyl (bad coil or plug)
-A/C water dripping on ECU plug/harness (you can only feel an issue with the A/C on)
-Throttle Body Motor / Throttle Body failing
-Clogged cat-converter (besides hesitation extreme loss of power under acceleration)

I've ruled out the first 2, and the TB is a relatively inexpensive try that seems to make sense, if the throttle motor is acting up or the return spring in the throttle body not doing its job hesitation like this sounds plaussible.

The one thing everyone has had in common is that it always seems like a transmission issue. While I too have the gut feeling is tranny related, i'm going to roll the dice with the TB / Cats before I shell out thousands of dollars. Honestly if the truck needs a $5000 tranny its getting traded in for something else I'm not putting $5k into a $8000 truck.

got the updated program for the TCM flashed today at the local dealer all remains the same.

Same Issue

Seemed like a very slight, intermittent misfire for a while. It would randomly have a repetitive increase/decrease in RPM at about the same engine speed as in your video. I had intermittent issues with two coils when it started, so I just assumed I had another coil or two slowly dying as well. Now that it's getting worse, I can actually hear and feel the surge in engine speed and a couple of times it has vibrated like going over rumble strips.

I'm at 120K miles, so I will change the filter and replace as much fluid as I can get to drain out. I'll let you know if it helps.

So i went ahead and replaced the torque converter, trusting my initial thoughts that this was transmission related, and all issues have been fixed it seems. it was a $900 job but i am beyond ecstatic to finally have decent working vehicle.

Filter/Fluid Change

I finally was able to change the filter and about 8 quarts of the fluid. The vibration went away completely and shifts are much smoother. It did not fix the RPM surge, just made them less noticeable and occur at a slightly lower speed.

Been there done that...unfortunately its back again

OK newbie to this site, but I had/have the exact same issues in my 2007 Mountaineer (4.6L-AWD) on/off for 2+yrs, RPM surging/converter cycling and/or engine misfiring both coincide under light pedal and load bt 35-50mph light (once vehicle is at operating temp). My timeline:

10/09 @40k Bought as cert used vehicle w/6yr 100k warranty! Was my wife's DD, so my seat time was weekends only. Noticed slight surging/NVH changes at some point, slowly became more noticable over the years.
01/11 @74k RPM surges and some misfire under load no codes, replaced plugs (broke 3) improved overall
12/11 @87k RPM surges w/rumbling sound (just like above video), replaced TC fixed declared victory swore I knew it was TC the whole time..
07/13 [MENTION=234733]10[/MENTION]4k Misfiring hard, replaced coil#8, fixed
12/13 [MENTION=234733]10[/MENTION]7k RPM surging is back, replaced all coils (figure after 1 failed the rest are due) but no change...added Techtron - no change...

Does this seem to happen more in the cold - not sure if my history is caused by weather or more seat time in winter since my summer car is an 04 Cobra...

I'm not eager to do a converter (again) and outside of warranty:mad:. I am going to look into FRPS & Canister purge valve - thinking there may be some fuel or vac interactions going on. Has anyone had experience with those items? I had a FRPS go out on my cobra and it literally would stall for 1sec then run for 6sec (same frequency of the MTN rpm surge)...

A shot in the dark without watching the video. Pull the fuse for the 4x4. My work car lunged and jerked and always felt like the 4x4 was trying to engage and disengage at low speeds and even at some highway speeds.

I pulled the fuse for the 4x4 and it stopped.

The connector going to the tranny/transfer case is known to get water trapped on/in it on the V8 models causing corrosion on the pins so it is possible. There is a few treads on the topic around here somewhere. At over 100K miles I would say that it is the torque converter going out because any issues with the evap. system is really good about giving a DTC immediately, but since you recently replaced the TC I am not so sure (maybe a bad solenoid pack?). However, start with PTR-Jason's recommendation and then go from there if that doesn't fix the problem.

Back