My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer

Some of you may remember that I used to have a 1972 Dodge Dart which I drag raced.

DSC_0322.jpg

Well, I got the itch to get back into racing:burnout: Our new house is only 3 miles from the Speedworld racetrack and I can faintly hear them running the cars from our house. It was just too much for me to bare;) I haven't been doing much in the way of local fourwheeling, so I thought drag racing would give me something to do on the weekends.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart off of E-bay. The car was located in New Jersey, a mere 2500 miles from home:eek: I decided this was the right car for me mainly because I really needed to get out of the house on my own for a couple weeks and this was just the excuse I needed;)

The car is going to be stripped and repainted. It will get new quarter panels, at least one rocker, one floorpan, new door hinges, fiberglass hood, bumpers, and most likely trunk lid as well.

The new color will most likely be orange, but it just may end up being red, like my old one. Plans for it include a 650HP, 512 CI, big block Mopar and an automatic transmission. I'm just not sure if it will be from BB or SB or whether or not it will even be a Mopar:eek: I plan on ditching the torsion bar front suspension for an aftermarket K member which gives you rack and pinion steering, upgraded brakes, and the choice of coilover shocks or airbag suspension.

The rear end in the car right now is a trussed Mopar 8 3/4", with a three link suspension and coilovers.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you going to do much more to the interior? I would leave it as is because it looks like what it is; A drag car converted to street use. Much meaner, cooler, etc.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are you going to do much more to the interior? I would leave it as is because it looks like what it is; A drag car converted to street use. Much meaner, cooler, etc.

The only thing on my list is to make covers for the door handles.

I may get a new dashpad and eliminate the tach on the dash since the instrument pod has a built in tach and shift lights.

Man, that interior picture is sweet.

Since the tap isn't all the way through, id just try to bust it up ( hammer and point) with a very clean shop vac sucking the area while you do it. then you can put the sucked up pieces together to make sure you got all of it????

Man, that interior picture is sweet.

Since the tap isn't all the way through, id just try to bust it up ( hammer and point) with a very clean shop vac sucking the area while you do it. then you can put the sucked up pieces together to make sure you got all of it????
It's already at the machine shop.

Also heard of some product that dissolves a tap in about an hour, but can't recall the product name. Need to Google foo that.

I Googled it and it's really cool, but... If any of the solution managed to get on the valve seats, or any other steel parts they would dissolve.
The video I saw showed them using vinegar and Alum.

There is also a machine for about $2000 which destroys the tap using electrical current.

I just washed my hands and passed it off to someone who has dealt with broken taps a whole lot more that me.

The machinist was finally able to get to my engine. He was able to TIG weld to the tap and then worked the tap out of the threads. Pheww...

I like your new 4 post lift. We just bought one during the fall. We should have years ago. We have a Triumph brand. Good construction and welding to be an overseas product. We don't have the trolley jack yet but we did get a very tall transmission jack.

I like your new 4 post lift. We just bought one during the fall. We should have years ago. We have a Triumph brand. Good construction and welding to be an overseas product. We don't have the trolley ack yet but we did get a very tall transmission jack.

It has definitely been a big help around here. :thumbsup:

70and60_sml.jpg

First time I've had the two cars together for photos in 7 years...
redwhite_sml.jpg
windshields_sml.jpg
whitered_sml.jpg
redwhite2_sml.jpg

PXL_20210320_010954012.MP~2.jpg

1st car show in a year!

red_mountain_sml.jpg

red_mountain_sml2.jpg

Are you going to add any emblems or factory stripping?

My red '71 Demon had a black vinyl top.

Must be fun to drive on the street. :cool:

Are you going to add any emblems or factory stripping?

My red '71 Demon had a black vinyl top.

Must be fun to drive on the street. :cool:

No plans for stripes or emblems. I have been going back and forth as to whether or not to do a black vinyl top. Without A/C I think that would be a bad idea, but I love the way it looks.

It pulls like a freight train once it get's traction. Definitely a lot of fun :D

Grandma's Dart got it's 15 minutes of Internet fame ;)

Back