MY Long Travel Build | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MY Long Travel Build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

taknitezX2 said:
i got both from a previous owner, although they were un-used, but new they run you bout 1200 for the coilovers and 600ish for the bumps.
thanks for the intel, i was wonderin how was your setup right before your lt build?

taknitezX2 said:
that last thing i had goin was a procomp lift spindle with a 2.5''x10'' king smoothy shock with custom hoops.
thats cool were you able to jump with it? are your new coilovers 10" long?

rynstvy: if your looking to jump you will be fine with a spindle and some king or fox resevior shocks. you need the resivoir so you dont bottom it out, then get some deavers for the rear, i believe there are a pair of them for sale on Race Dezert

oh yeah and look on dezertrangers.com theres a forum with some built explorers, you should check it out

Hey Hey, Froaders got u goin in the right direction.

Now on a more serious note, if ur just looking to jump...well...ur an idiot. good way to give ur expo a short life, just drive it off a cliff. :D Moreso, what the other guy said is not quite right. Upgrading you shock will be good offroad, but it wont help u "Jump". neither will adding a resi. all they do is hold large amounts of nitrogen, and as the shock is working, IE. doing long, fast runs through the desert, they keep the shock cool, and working optimally without heating up and fading. They do nothing to help bottoming out, thats called valving which is a whole nother topic. just a brief FYI for ya. there is some good info on www.dezertrangers.com , just dont ask gay "newbie" questions. use the search or you will be stoned. also the classifieds at www.racedesert.com have many good parts.

Attachments

• Dsc00240.jpg
    Dsc00240.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 651
  • Dsc00416.jpg
    Dsc00416.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 643
  • Dsc00244.jpg
    Dsc00244.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 660

taknitezX2 said:
Hey Hey, Froaders got u goin in the right direction.

Now on a more serious note, if ur just looking to jump...well...ur an idiot. good way to give ur expo a short life, just drive it off a cliff. :D Moreso, what the other guy said is not quite right. Upgrading you shock will be good offroad, but it wont help u "Jump". neither will adding a resi. all they do is hold large amounts of nitrogen, and as the shock is working, IE. doing long, fast runs through the desert, they keep the shock cool, and working optimally without heating up and fading. They do nothing to help bottoming out, thats called valving which is a whole nother topic. just a brief FYI for ya. there is some good info on www.dezertrangers.com , just dont ask gay "newbie" questions. use the search or you will be stoned. also the classifieds at www.racedesert.com have many good parts.
i can biuld the enginecage/shock tower and im pretty confident i can build my own tuffer lower a arms, but the shocks i would need a coilover and a resi right, how long are your coilovers?

taknitezX2 said:
Now on a more serious note, if ur just looking to jump...well...ur an idiot. good way to give ur expo a short life, just drive it off a cliff.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! i couldnt agree more. im built up pretty decent and look at me.......clickity

taknitezX2 said:
a bit more
do you have your own tubing bender? if so where you get it/how much i would like to own one :D

not that i dont trust your fab skill, but design of a suspension part is very complex. what exactly are you looking to do with your truck. what is your budget and what are you goals ur looking to get performance wise. PM me please, to keep the thread from clogging up. thanks.

bump stops nobody mentioned bump stops :)

:D
taknitezX2 said:
not that i dont trust your fab skill, but design of a suspension part is very complex. what exactly are you looking to do with your truck. what is your budget and what are you goals ur looking to get performance wise. PM me please, to keep the thread from clogging up. thanks.
hey,,,i was leaning towards a 4x4 conversion sas, but may not be necessary, since i live closer to jumps than rocks to crawl. so i am back to the idea of long traveling my 2wd a-arm expo :D
by the way it looks like you kept your pro comp spindles, so i'm gonna do the same but use a pre-built a arm what you think
product.asp

product.asp

by the way how long are your coilovers? :D

taknitezX2 said:
got the front limit straps mounted today, bumper painted, and lights rewired. its just about locked and loaded.
i was wonderin how long are your coilovers, and could you ask have your fabricater make some lowers on the side?/how much

i was also wonderin do you know if i can get procomp spindles without the rear add aleaf for cheaper?

okay, here we go.

shocks are 10''. as it says in the first post of this topic.

the kit can be made for $2000 i believe, not including install. Uppers, lowers, BJs, limit straps, steering.

yes, the spindles can be bought seperately, just contact ur local 4x4 provider, ie four wheel parts.

feel free to ask me questions about this stuff, but i ask that you PM me. Id like this topic to stay unclogged of other questions and all. Sound good? hope i could help.

taknitezX2 said:
rear limit straps now mounted. yeah. 15'' front bump/straped, 14'' rear bump/strap.
kool is the national 13 leaf pack just as good as deavers? and if your shock hoop is in yet are you sealing the hole with somethin where the shocks go thru?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah national and deaver is like Fox and King shocks. both quality products. The rear has not been done really, still have bilstien 5150s in stock spots. i will probably end up going with a setup like BigDave has.

Back