• Register Today It's free!

My lowered 2013 Turbo

13TURBO

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 White Sport
Just had this done today and wanted to share. And before anyone says it, yes I know I lowered a 4WD and no I don't care, this car will never see a dirt road or something ill need the clearance for. ;) haha. Just the way I like my cars. And it handles like a dream. Not that the stock suspention handles poorly or anything.

'merica

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

024.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! Looks really good... I have the same exact truck, and now you've got me really thinking. I'm wondering what some spacers would do to the look...

Nice! Give it a little while and see if you notice any handling and ride changes (as well as wear and tear issues). Are the new springs stiffer? Any changes to the shocks?

What does a shop charge for something like that?
Just curious what it might set me back.

I'm looking into spacers to bring them out a few millimeters.

There wasn't any changes to the shocks at all. Ride is understandably a little stiffer but not bad at all. My tech recommended driving it a few days to allow for any settling prior to realigning it so were going to look at the camber and alignment later this week. As for the added wear and tear would only be the rear tires and they probably won't wear correctly. But if I break them down twice a year and turn them when I rotate it should minimize it.

What does a shop charge for something like that?
Just curious what it might set me back.

I mean I'm a manager there so it was $380 for the install and 4 wheel alignment and $300 for the spring set. But I'm sure you could get it done by any reputable Ford dealer for under $500 for the labor if you brought them the springs.

It needs 22s and low profile tires.

I like it like it is... a sneaky not-quite-stock look.
Throw a tune in it with a CAI and you'll be super sneaky!

Looks great! Down is the only way these would improve.

That looks fantastic. I bet it drives great too.

Looks badazz! That's quite a substantial drop. Please let us know how the ride is after a couple days, and how close they can get the alignment.

I read in one thread that the rear camber was pretty far off, then the guy discovered the top bolt on the knuckle is slotted or something along those lines so he was able to pull it out to correct the camber.

I really want to do this mod on my wife's sport this summer.

That looks sick! Do you have any performance gains from 0 - 60? Less drag? Better fuel economy? The only thing I'd be worried about is going near curbs with the front bumper. I hope you don't hit any of them! Other than that that looks like a sick Explorer!

Looks badazz! That's quite a substantial drop. Please let us know how the ride is after a couple days, and how close they can get the alignment.

I read in one thread that the rear camber was pretty far off, then the guy discovered the top bolt on the knuckle is slotted or something along those lines so he was able to pull it out to correct the camber.

I really want to do this mod on my wife's sport this summer.

Thank you for that, I will pass that along later this week when they align it to see if the camber can be made better in the rear.

Thank you for that, I will pass that along later this week when they align it to see if the camber can be made better in the rear.

See this post here...#66
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372389&page=4

To anyone else who lowers it, I took it in for an alignment and the rear camber was way off at -2.5 degrees. They said there is no factory adjustment for it. After I got it home I found out there is. The hole in the upper arm where the bolt goes through for the knuckle is elongated to allow for adjustment. I put it all the way out and I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow for fine tuning.

If you can get any pics when they do the alignment that shows where that adjustment is, that'd be a HUGE help for any others of us who lower, we can take the pic of the adjustment point to the shop that aligns ours to let them know thats where it can be adjusted at, since it's clearly not an obvious adjustment point if other shops are just saying the camber is set and no adjusting it.

@13turbo

What springs did you use?

Truck looks badass, I'm looking into lowering mine. I have 22's and the truck is begging to reduce that wheel gap .

I will try to get some pictures of where the camber adjustments are and post them when its aligned later this week.

There is no kit yet for an Explorer so if you want to do it you have to use 2013 Ford Flex H&R springs. They fit right in.

Thanks everyone appreciate the kind words. I'll
Keep us posted on the alignment and camber stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KCCO.....Classic! Now mind the gap!

Back