My Manual Transmission sounds like an idling diesel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Manual Transmission sounds like an idling diesel

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I've observed this condition in neutral, parked. No way to observe while driving due to wind/engine/road noise.

Clutch is pressed (disengaged) from about 0:09 to 0:12 and 0:20 to 0:22

This is making noise in the opposite pattern of a bad throwout bearing.

One of my co-workers suggested that it may be the input bearing... any thoughts or experience in the matter?

Also, Diesel Idle for reference

It's hard to say what that is for sure. Shouldn't be the throw-out bearing or the pilot bearing. It could be a broken finger or spring in the pressure plate. It could be the trans input bearing (that's a serious bearing and takes a lot to kill). It goes away when you stop spinning the input shaft, so that narrows it down. I assume you have already checked the fluid level. Use a stethoscope (or a pipe or a screwdriver) and try to narrow down whether it seems to be coming from more forward (clutch) or more behind the bell housing. See if you can see any sign of trouble with the pressure plate through the inspection hole. You may have to drop the trans to find the problem, but you likely will have to anyway to fix the problem.

Bump to update: there was an electrical connector sitting on a heat shield on the passenger side.

No clue why it was going away whenever I stepped on the clutch.

Back