• Register Today It's free!

My mirror is shaking

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I recently installed a driver's side mirror on my Explorer. I noticed that the actual mirror itself (not the housing) shakes and wobbles while I'm driving. Is there a way to fix this? Seems a tad loose, but loose enough to shake while I'm driving and hitting bumps on the road. Can I take the mirror off and perhaps remount it so it holds better? The mirror is off a 2004 Explorer and went into my 2003 about 2 1/2 months ago. It shook slightly at first, but now seems to be getting worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if all of the mounting pegs are installed correctly... Can you tilt the mirror one way or the other and see behind it?

I have the same problem but mine does not shake while driving, and its my passenger side. I notice when cleaning the mirror seems to move around in the housing and is not secure, oddly enough the power mirror still works and moves

Yes, everything seems mounted okay. It's power adjustable to any angle. When you touch just the mirror itself, it's about 90% tight, but that 10% makes it shake from just driving, hitting bumps etc. on the road.

I wonder why only the driver's side mirror does this and not the passenger side? I bought this one used from the recycle yard, but it seems pretty solid. Just that little play makes it shake/wobble. Can I just pull the mirror itself off and retighten somehow? Apply more glue or whatever holds it in place to strengthen? Everytime I look at it, I see all the images shaking as if I have a huge boom box in the truck.

Check out my thread for Installing Signal Mirrors. You can see how to remove the mirror glass. Maybe remove it and put it back on and see if that tightens it up.

Back