My new 5.0L Exhaust

DixieOnMyMind59

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
What do you guys think of this.......

*Remove the secondary cats and have 2'' pipes ran from each of the pre-cats, exiting in front of the rear tires on each side with 3'' tips.

That is what i just got done last week. I told the guy at the muffler shop that i wanted an x-pipe in my setup and he had his welder make me one but his buddy at the shop conviced him that it would create too much back-pressure so he wouldn't put it on. I kept telling him that my 5.0's engine computer needs back-pressure to create the low-end power that i want. He just kept saying that i'll have plenty of back-pressure with just my pre-cats. I wanted to argue with him soooo bad but the guy was giving me an awesome deal on running the pipes and he also said that i could add the x-pipe later if im not happy. While i was at the shop, i had planned to get two mufflers as well but i ran out of money on just the pipes, so now i have just my pre-cats with no muffler.....THIS ***** IS LOOOOUUUDDDD......I love the way it looks but right now but MY GOD it is loud and i have NO bottom end power. I do, though, have a lot more mid and upper-range power but that's not where i want my power due to gas mileage. I will make a video in a few minutes of my LOUD exhaust and post it when i get back from work. Im gonna drive it shifting manually with the colum shifter (P R N D 2 1) just so everyone can hear this wide open exhaust....my poor neighbors...

BTW - I will be getting the X-Pipe put on along with two Magnaflow mufflers (one on each pipe) in the next week or two.

IMG_7017-1.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

IMG_7023.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OMG, thats the sound that i want. i wonder if it's legal to do that around here :D I WANT THAT NOWWWWWWWW. only mine is a 4.0:thumbsup: :confused:

im with bog, damn I need 2 more cylinders

I wouldn't waste my time or money on high flow cats. I'd leave the factory primaries, loose the secondaries. I linked you to the thread because you said something about not having enough back pressure and no low end.

I like the sound of the straight pipes and the side exits- its just too loud for my use. I bet your neighbors love it too. :D

:notworthy simply amazing :notworthy

I wouldn't waste my time or money on high flow cats. I'd leave the factory primaries, loose the secondaries. I linked you to the thread because you said something about not having enough back pressure and no low end.

I like the sound of the straight pipes and the side exits- its just too loud for my use. I bet your neighbors love it too. :D

Yea, now that i have my secondary cats off i completely would never waste my money on high flow cats. I called the muffler shop to talk to them about coming in Saturday...I told him that i still wanted to add the x-pipe and some mufflers. He told me that since my exhaust doesn't exit out the back, having an x-pipe is completely pointless. He insists to know more than me about x-pipes when he really isn't making any sense. I work at a Chevy dealership in the service department and i have had at least 3 ASE certified technicians tell me that an x-pipe will result in better performance and will balance the backpressure - not create backpressure. One of the techs went on to explain to me that an x-pipe creates a vacuum on each cylinder during the exhaust stroke which results in exhaust being removed more efficiantly which creates better gas mileage. Im thinking about bringing that tech. down to the muffler shop with me on saturday to explain this to "Ronnie". As for mufflers, im going to run a small round size muffler on each pipe (possibly a turbo muffler) but i haven't decided which brand to go with.

After i saw your write up on your new exhaust system, it inspired me to go down to the muffler shop and get me some pipes ran...hopefully when my setup is complete, i will have a dual exhaust set-up that yields plenty of backpressure and creates a throaty, tolerable tone.

Thanks,
Colton

Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup: We need under carriage pictures of your exhaust, both now and in the future :)

Yea, i hope i'll be happy with it.

**Check the begining of the thread - i posted some undercarraige shots.

in ur video wut was the light on in the dash!

O/D off...

as for the backpressure dont u have resonators
dont they make backpressure,

i would have to say that sounds nice. now i know what i am gonna get done come late spring summer. ;)

if u dont mind me askin wut did u pay for that, around....
did u get ur x pipe installed yet!

No i do not have resonators.

OK, last Saturday i decided to go to a different muffler shop. The tech at work told me about a shop thats more of a "speed" shop with a dyno but they do custom exhaust work as well. I called the shop on friday to talk to them about running an x-pipe setup on my explorer and the sales rep. agreed that it would improve performance. He told me that they do not make their own x-pipes - they only use the universal x-pipes made by Magnaflow. The guys at this place know there stuff so i went there early saturday morning to have the x-pipe put on and order the mufflers i want. Well, their exhaust guy didn't show up that morning because his mom was sick or something, and they couldn't match the price on the same muffler i wanted to order, so i only bought the x-pipe on saturday.

The Muffler I Want:
I decided last week that i want to go with the Mac Flowpath muffler. Im going to buy two of them - one for each pipe.

No i do not have resonators.

It cost me $187.50 just to have the cats cut off and pipes run out the sides.

OK, last Saturday i decided to go to a different muffler shop. The tech at work told me about a shop thats more of a "speed" shop with a dyno and all but they do custom exhaust work as well. I called the shop on friday to talk to them about running an x-pipe setup on my Explorer and the sales rep. agreed that it would improve performance. He told me that they do not make their own x-pipes - they only use the universal x-pipes made by Magnaflow. The guys at this place know there stuff so i went there early saturday morning to have the x-pipe put on and order the mufflers i want. Well, their exhaust guy didn't show up that morning because his mom was sick or something, and they couldn't match the price on the same muffler i wanted to order, so i only bought the Magnaflow x-pipe on saturday. Cost me $89.97

The Muffler I Want:
I decided last week that i want to go with the Mac Flowpath muffler. Im going to buy two of them - one for each pipe.

Today, i found an online retailer today that sells the Mac Flowpath mufflers and they are based out of Auburn, AL, which is 100miles from where i live. They have free shipping and i called them today and they told me if i order from them, i will have my shipment the next day. I am calling them tomorrow morning and they will ship same day so i will have the Macs Flowpaths on Wednesday. $64.95 per muffler = $129.90 for both mufflers

+ $187.50 - Pipes ran
+ $129.90 - Mufflers
+ $89.97 - X-Pipe
+ $100.00 - Estimated labor cost for x-pipe and mufflers

= $507.37

It will sound like a Mustang when im done.

Thanks,
Colton

thats not bad at all
post another vid when u get it done...

how come u dont have any resonators?

one kick ass setup!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ima Bout to do whatcha u got, I like the setup and I will just have mufflers hanged, I want it to sound like a mustang too

Back