My new front winch bumper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new front winch bumper

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!
If could you post measurements, and cutting angles, that would be awesome. I would also like to see the finished product, when you add the brush guard to it. That's right down my alley of what I'm looking to do to my Ex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JZRANGER4x4 said:
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!
If could you post measurements, and cutting angles, that would be awesome. I would also like to see the finished product, when you add the brush guard to it. That's right down my alley of what I'm looking to do to my Ex.

I have been pretty happy with it so far and I no longer think I will add a brush guard. May take me a while to get measurements, I have been pretty busy lately. If you want you could just come up to Albuquerque to see it :D

HappyGilmore said:
damn that bumper makes your X look pretty mean. looks professional, not home made at all. clean work man.

Thanks. I take pride in my work and if I dont like how something came out I keep working on it/ redoing it untill I am satisfied.

I have also added a diamond plate piece in the middle to cover my hitch and it has an access door to get to the hitch pin and winch electrical connector. There are probably pictures floating around here somewhere with it on there.

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the invite. I didn't notice you were from Albuquerque. I moved to Albuquerque a while back ago. Guess I forgot to update my location. It would be cool if could see your Ex and possibly get more pics and measurements.

JZRANGER4x4 said:
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!

yes if you could do that it would be awsome, i have been lookin all over the site for a bumper that i like, and yours has every thing that i wanted in one

I love that bumper...damn i need the learn to weld. It looks better thn alot of "aftermarket bumpers"

SkanlaxJMO said:
I love that bumper...damn i need the learn to weld. It looks better thn alot of "aftermarket bumpers"

Thanks, I just finished up my rear bumper to match- see this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149826

And 99stocksport, you would be better off just starting with what you have and start getting measurements. The measurements on my bumper were dictated by where the frame plates went, the size of the winch and how far it would stick out from the grill, the length of the front clip and where the body lines came in for the bumper to match to. JZRANGER4x4 came to my house and wrote down what he needed so I never got the measurement and angles myself.

alright, thanks for the tip

Where did you get the front reciever for your bumper? Looks great very professional.

Tim

We build quite a few bumpers at my place for rigs of various persuasions, with and without winches, etc.

What we do to figure out the bumper we want is to lay it all out using either stiff cardboard (similar thickness to the steel we'll be using to fabricate it) or thin plywood/paneling. We mock up a bumper, including mounts out of the wood or cardboard, taping it all together, then transfer each piece to steel. Cut it out with what you have -- we use a combination of tools, from a sawzall to a skil saw with metal cutting blade, to cut off wheels, chop saw, and once in a while (if I have a used on in stock) plasma cutter, which is the absolute best.

Lay out everything, then tack-weld it all together. Check fitment and straightness (make sure your welds do not warp everything!) and then go to burning... Grind to suit your needs, and finally paint as desired.

It's mostly time-consuming, but not all that difficult to build some very nice looking bumpers using this technique. We use a few different "cheats" to get some desired features, like using rounded box steel to get a rounded edge on parts instead of a square edge, pipe or tube to get smooth corners, etc.

I'm also working on a couple simple dies for my 20 ton press to press out some shapes that we use often. They are not rocket science -- just a couple pieces of pipe used to form a round piece or a couple pieces of angle iron to form square edges. I'm also working on a "dimple" die to press those cool looking dimpled holes in stuff -- they both strengthen a sheet, and look great.

your work on both front and rear bumpers is inspiring. i saw your pile of parts for the hinge and the clevis mounts i know it has been quite some time but do you remember where you sourced those things?

your work on both front and rear bumpers is inspiring. i saw your pile of parts for the hinge and the clevis mounts i know it has been quite some time but do you remember where you sourced those things?

Thank you!

I made the clevis mounts myself and the actual clevis/d-rings came from a local hardware store. 4wheelparts carries them too. If you are looking for clevis tabs/mounts try WFO Concepts or RuffStuff Specialties, both have online stores.

The hinge parts and latch (rear bumper) all came from McMasterCarr, www.mcmaster.com except the 2" x .25" DOM tube which I sourced locally from the steel supplier.

On that note I cant believe I've had this bumper now for ~11 years. time flies!

Back