Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
My new front winch bumper (Added more pics)

Update - More pics below in another post
Here it is:
m_DSC00196.jpg

With the winch:
Bumper-Winch1.JPG

I wanted a new front bumper to replace the flimsy stock one. It needed to be a jack point for a hi-lift, hold a winch inside it, have tow points integrated into it, not stick out too far and it needed to look good. I did a little research and found a bumper design I liked. The bumper I liked was made by Bulletproof Mfg. for a Jeep XJ. I also saw LimitedEx had a bumper similar to it on his Explorer so I asked him for a few dimensions. I ordered the metal and began to fab my new bumper. It is made of 2"x6"x3/16" box tube, 3/8" mounting plates, 1/4" ends and center, 1"x2"x1/8" outside reinforcement links and 2- 1"x3" tabs for the shackles. The pieces were all cut and are fully welded. I made the plates with 2 sets of holes for stock height and 1" BL height so it would be adjustable. It attaches to the frame with 3ea. 1/2" grade 8 bolts per side. I have a Warn XD9000i that I want to mount inside of it in the future but for the present time I needed my bumper to support a multi-mount setup. I made a receiver hitch that bolts inside the bumper to the frame attachment plates. It is fully gussetted and uses 2ea. 1/2" grade 8 bolts per side to attach it. The outsides are reinforced with a piece of 1"x2"x1/8" that runs back and bolts to the frame. They are flange mounted for easy removal/installation of the bumper.

Edit: The winch cradle is also home-made. It was designed to look like Warn's but has a few different features. It is made of 1/4" steel and is gussetted. The handles bolt on and are 1/8" x 2" with a pipe (electrical conduit) welded in for the actual handle.

Here are a few more pics:

Bumper completed just needs paint:
Bumperfab2.JPG

Bumperfab1.JPG

And 1 last pic of it installed:
m_DSC06678.jpg

In the future I am considering adding a brush guard that would bolt on or a small stinger bar which would also bolt on.

I will have additional pics of the winch attached later when I get them developed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice!

Very nice, i like it alot.

That bumper is not nice, it is awesome. I'll have to say it is one of the best home built bumpers I have ever seen. In fact, it is better than most aftermarket bumpers. :thumbsup:

Lol, I thought that kind of looked familiar;) :p
Man that looks excellent! I like how you set the diamond plate under the lip of the C channel instead of on top, like KMA did mine:( Wanna build me a rear one??:D

wow, that is very very nice, you could make some extra cash doin this for people on the board.

Is there any chance you could post the angles of the cuts made on he metal. I would like to do this to my truck too.

David Larson

Originally posted by asterus
Is there any chance you could post the angles of the cuts made on he metal. I would like to do this to my truck too.

Yeah I will measure the angles and post them in the next day or two.

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
wow, that is very very nice, you could make some extra cash doin this for people on the board.

I really have no plans for re-producing the bumpers because right now I have no time between all the things I have going. Plus, I need to get a bigger band saw first LOL.

Limited Ex, thanks for taking those few measurements for me. Next comes the rear bumper with a swingout tire carrier made from the same box tube but that is still in the distant future (maybe next summer) so you will have to wait :D I saw how you had your diamond plate on and I really didnt like it either. The Bulletproof Mfg. bumper had it like what I did and I think it makes for smoother lines that way.

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

I wasn't asking for you to reprosuce them. I was wondeirng if I could get say, the same measurements you had gotten so that I can make my own. that bumper looks really nice, and if I can make it so that it will also fit with my 3" body lift, it would be awsome.

David Larson

Aw man!! I really gotta learn to weld and start making my own stuff!!

was looking to make one...some close-up's that might help?

Okay I got some more pics:

Side shot:
BumperSide1.JPG

Side/Top shot:
BumperSide2.JPG

Shot of Shackle tab welded through bumper:
BumperTab.JPG

Underside shot which shows outside braces with flange mount:
BumperUnder1.JPG

Front shot with winch cradle in:
Bumper-Winch2.JPG

I still have a few things to do such as make a diamond plate cover for the center section with some different light brackets.

Sweet thanks!

Why did you kill your approach angle if you have a multi-mount?

Originally posted by Kirby N.
Why did you kill your approach angle if you have a multi-mount?

I didnt kill it really, I have my reasons behind doing what I did. I know what you are saying though, why have the bumper stick out far in front when all I needed was a hitch closer in to use the multi-mount. There are a number of reasons I did it that way. First, the multi-mount will not always be in the bumper so the bumper retains a close to stock or better approach angle with it removed. Second, I do not want to hard mount a winch in the front because of areas where I park stuff can get stolen or vandalized. With the multi-mount I can leave the winch at home and it is safe. Also I wanted to hardmount my winch in the bumper in the future when the Explorer is not my daily driver. By leaving the bumper stick out just enough to fit the winch, I do not have to make or buy a new bumper when I want to finally hard mount my winch. Does that answer it Kirby?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotcha. In that case it is pretty cool!

Back