• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

My new PC...

Heath

Elite Moderator Intoxicator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rigby, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Excursion (THE BUS)
DUDE, I got a DELL, just about two weeks ago, so far I'm thrilled with my Dell experience... I was talking to stadX2 one night after the four of us went out to dinner (us and our wives) and he was telling me that he bought a dell refurb, and has been completly happy with it... Well the next day when I was surfing I remember that so I went to check it out... I bought a computer w/in about 10 min!!! I went through check out and stuff and I was done... It was great... I wasn't sure if it accepted my order so I called the toll free number and talked to the lady that answered, she looked it up and said yup its done, I should recieve my comfirmation letter in a day or so... GREAT!!! Then she asked me if I wanted to know why it was refurbed, I said sure, well turns out that St Josephs Hospital orederd it and then when it arrived they refused shipment!!! So its still new, but they had to sell it as refurb... Well here's the specs on it with price...

Dell Dimension 8200
P4 2.0
512MB RDRAM
1.44 Floppy
80 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 Graphics Card w/DVI and TV-Out (Woo Hoo this was why I picked this one)
56K Modem
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card
10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
24X/10X/40X CD-RW
16XDVD/48X CD
19" Monitor

Windows XP
Roxio 5
and some other software...

2 year warranty

I paid $1717 with shipping and everything...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ok89

Reaction score
City, State
College Station, TX (school) / Houston, TX (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Wrangler X
Well I think that is one really nice system. I wish I could build a new system now but that would cost money and there is nothing wrong with the one I have now

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Sounds cool. I just got my new one today after the old one had a breakdown. Oh yeah Heath happy B-day.

espnfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Thats a nice setup, we are currently looking into a dimension 4400 series with 1.7 processor. I agree dell seems to be much better than compaq and hp too. We had a compaq and it froze all the time for no reason. The other dell we have is a 1.0 ghz and has ran nice the whole time we had it

Heath

Elite Moderator Intoxicator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rigby, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Excursion (THE BUS)
Well like I say, seriously check the refurb section... Darren's had his for a while and its problem free... Mine has been for two weeks now, well other than XP compatiblity problems I'm working through... So there are two people that will reccomed them, plus they have lots of configurations for you to choose from, and they save you money...

ok89

Reaction score
City, State
College Station, TX (school) / Houston, TX (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Wrangler X
Yeah my dad always buys his computers refurbished (although we buy from Compaq Factory Outlet because its in Houston and we get a discount) but refurbished machines are good. They haven't been used that much if at all and they still have to pass the quality control that the new ones have to pass before they are sold as refurbished.

ChuckyD

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
Congrats on your new purchase heath... i didnt know you got it. ;P

Just so you all know, the day it was coming he was cursing the UPS guy b\c he took a break right b4 he delivered it. He was toying with the idea of going to the truck and picking it up... LOL

Talk about LAME... JK
He was just excited.

jonny 5

Reaction score
City, State
Seekonk, MA 02771 (home), N. Dartmouth, MA (college)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT SOHC
That's a great setup Heath! Congrats on your purchase. The last 3 (out of 4) computer purchases my parents have made have been Dells and I've been impressed with them.

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Personally I wouldn't consider anything but refurbs. The majority of the time they are just like you said companies that decide they don't want the stuff. Honestly I have never bought a brand named computer and I really don't know if I ever would. I have always liked the generic clones due to the cheaper prices, however anymore you can't beat some of these deals on the refurbs. Everyone sells them.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Dell is making some nice stuff these days, and customer service is great. I have had my Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop for about 8 months now, and have been nothing but happy with it. I always had Gateway Solos in the past, which constantly had problems. So, this time i decided to change brands, and I'm so thankful I did.

Good luck with yours Heath,

Robb

BoatsRcool

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
GMC Yukon 4x4

jonny 5

Reaction score
City, State
Seekonk, MA 02771 (home), N. Dartmouth, MA (college)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT SOHC
Most companies don't give alot of software, it just bogs down the system. I just reformat computers and start fresh.