my new to me '01 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my new to me '01 explorer

Hello everyone,

After driving my ranger nearly 16 years I finally broke down and bought something else. The ranger is still in the driveway (for now).

2001 Explorer XLT, 4X4, 4.0 SOHC, 4 speed auto w/OD, 4.10 limited slip.

Exterior color is “Arizona Beigeâ€￾

Leather interior
Leather steering wheel
Front bucket seats
Rear 60/40 folding seats
Power drivers seat w/lumbar
Power passenger seat w/lumbar
Aluminum/Alloy wheels
255/75/R16 (street tread-UGH!!!)
Driver side airbag
Passenger side airbag
Side impact airbags
Cruise control
Tilt wheel
Alarm System
Power door locks
Power windows
Power brakes
Power mirrors (drivers and passengers)
Power steering
Four wheel anti-lock brakes
8.8 solid rear axle and 4 wheel disc brakes
Intermittent wipers
Lighted entry system
Luggage rack
Center console
Overhead console w/temp and compass
Air Conditioning
Keyless entry system and remote
Rear window wiper w/delay
Rear window washer and defrost
Fog lights (factory)
Rear view mirror auto adjust
Auto headlight on/off w/delay
Step bumper
Nerf bars (factory-says explorer)
Privacy windows (factory tint)
AM/FM CD player
Rear Audio controls
Home link system
Gauge cluster with tachometer and trip odometer
Carpeted floor mats plus one for rear cargo area (factory)
Tie down loops in cargo area
Roll out cover for cargo area
Child proof locks
Double sun visors
Color matched grill and headlight trim
Color matched bumpers, fender flares, and the nerf bars

This has never pulled a trailer. The factory plug is still in the rear bumper and the wiring harness is still sealed in the plastic bag from the factory.

me2.jpg

I have a lot more pics online, but didn't know if I am allowed to post them on here. I just bought the vehicle on Saturday (1-8-05), so I don't have a website built yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

back again dude ? hey your gonna fit in here really well

Very nice Explorer! Are there two different styles/models of the year 2001? Yours is the "older" style (like my 1998 Explorer) and I like it the best. And your tan interior looks good too. Some of the tan interiors look too dark, but yours looks like a light tan. Vincent. www.pacificislandsinfo.com/xplorer/explorer.htm taori@tvds.net

PolarBlueIce said:
Very nice Explorer! Are there two different styles/models of the year 2001? Yours is the "older" style (like my 1998 Explorer) and I like it the best. And your tan interior looks good too. Some of the tan interiors look too dark, but yours looks like a light tan. Vincent. www.pacificislandsinfo.com/xplorer/explorer.htm taori@tvds.net

the 2gen body style was from 95-01 the new styles were from 2002-current. also ford changed tan interiors in 1997. only 95-96s have the darker saddle tan.

looks great! with the sohc and 4:10s that thing should get up and go :D

nice x you got there brian it looks nice

It has a lot more power then my old ranger has. Can you ever have enough though? :p I am very happy with it so far. I have driven it just over 4,000 miles since I bought it in January. So far, all it has needed is the oil/filters changed and I have new windshield wiper blades to put on tomorrow (front and rear).

Polarblue ice: They changed in 02. They went to independent rear suspension and a different body style. Thats why I bought the 01. :thumbsup:

Wise choice in my opinion. I just can't get into the mode of the new body styles myself. One day I may get me a 2001, but who knows. I might be selling my new flasher here soon with many other parts stored in my extra bedroom. Used once, will need to be reprogrammed though through bama chips if you are interested...

Let me know, if you decide to sell it. I am sure Doug will reprogram it for me. I still can't believe what happened to your X. It looked so nice, but at least it protected the passengers. Thats the best part. It gave its life to protect you and your little girl.

I don't like the looks 02+ either, but I certainly don't like the IRS for a 4X4. Its supposed to be a truck not a car. I like the 2nd gen for a lot of reasons, plus I could afford the payments.

Well, today is my bday, I am 50. So I need to make a decision on which way I am going now. No one here wants another Explorer but me. I have new OEM carpet, leather seats, console, all kinds of custom things, even the Cobra's with Pirelli's on them. Everyone wants me to sell this stuff and move on. But I am having a hard time making that decision right now. But if my daughter doesn't want to get in another Explorer, then it leaves me no choice. Maybe a Lincoln Navigator or something. Hell, I may even end up with a Cadillac. LOL, who knows. I sure don't. But will make a decision here real soon. I have to do something......

Oh wow. Congratulations. That accident could have stopped things fast. You both are very fortunate. I can't say that I blame her really. That had to be terrifying to her. How old is she? If you said in your posts, I don't remember.

You could always go the u-haul route. Get a navaho or mountaineer. ;) J/K

Do you have other transportation for now? If so, take your time. You don't have to sell everything off fast. I looked at a lot of rangers (wanted another one) before I finally decided I needed something with more interior room/doors. I teach at a local college, so I have my laptop and books with me always, plus misc. stuff. Thats a real pain in a standard cab small truck. I haul a lot of faculty and even administrators around now too. 4 doors are a must.

She is 10. In no hurry at all. Have a 91 Civic HB with only 31k on it and an 03 Taurus and a 01 Windstar. The Taurus will be gone soon, but still have the Civic to drive. Finished taxes yesterday so just letting money build right now. Waiting till summer to see what gas prices are going to do before I make any decisions. I have a strong feeling that the days of $1.50 a gallon are gone for ever. So may have to go the economic route.

No wonder she is scared of them. I can't blame her. I wouldn't want to get in any car for a long time. At least the X saved your lives. Thats the main thing. A vehicle can be replaced.

By this summer we may all be driving hybrids ($3.00 a gallon or more???). I may end up fixing my dads civic to drive to work (100 mile round trip-ugh!!!). Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a vulture, but if you decide to sell the flasher, let me know first. I will check with Doug to see about how much it wil cost to re-program it for mine.

Talk to you later,
Brian_B

bbq, Glad your doing we'll, and nice truck above!! Gotta love those body styles, GAS IS killing everyone around here, in the dc area i put 30bucks in my xplorer sport and just filled it up at $1.97,, Too much for regular, i too drive a mazda b2300 now and let my x sit and collect dust more or less during the week, too costly to drive and sit in traffic everyday,, These xplorers are wonderful w/ power and room after driving a reg cab truck all the time, almost dont know what to do w/ the room !! Safty grade for the x's would be?

Well, it's gonna get worse. Right now I don't miss my 98, but will soon enough..

Well...I know I am going to soon miss my ranger. I have had it over 16 years. My brother and his wife are basically without wheels. Her car is complete junk (metro :confused: ) and won't pass inspection and his t-bird is shot (200k). I just found out a fwe minutes ago from my parents that he wants/needs my ranger now. :(

I know he needs it, but I don't want to let it go. I will be the good big brother though. :cool: I know how he treats vehicles. He is 26 and has sent an uncountless number of vehicles to the salvage yard. Sorry, I will shut up now. :rolleyes:

Brian, you won't miss it long. Just get that tuner tuned and then program your Explorer and I guarantee it will be Asta La Vista Ranger, LOL. It is the single most important upgrade you can make, IMHO.

I think so. I intend to send it off to Doug on Monday.

I will miss having a truck to haul stuff though. I will also miss being able to just drive off into the woods without worrying about scratching/denting what I am driving. A big bonus for having an old beater. Did you see the pic of it in my mugshot? Its runs great, but looks horrible.

No, when I look at the pic, all I see is a clean tan Explorer

The mug shot link....not the website one. My mugshot on here has a pic of my old beat up ranger as well as me in my office.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ranger is officialy gone now. :( My brother has the title to it. I went from 3 vehicles to 1 vehicle very fast. My dad owns my f-150 and my brother owns my ranger. We all own ford 4X4s now though. :thumbsup:

Back