My O/D light was flashing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My O/D light was flashing.

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
Hello everybody my names Jeremy and i am the owner of a 1999 ford explorer 4x4 sohc and i had a problem the other day with my o/d light. yesterday while driving it started blinking but today when i drove it the light never came on??? any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the EEC-V section. The flashing O/D light indicates that there is a code stored. You will have to use a scanner to retrieve this code. Not every scanner is capable of reading manufacturer specific transmission codes.

Did you figure your problem out? Because my 97 Explorer does the same thing...but mine's been doing it on and off (every six months or so) for the last couple years.

no it just stoped flashing one day and hasent come on since have u used a scan tool to read the codes

Mine has been doing it for the last three years or so. I have had it scanned three different times throughout the years and I was told no codes came up.

My father thinks that it "may not throw a code if the on board computer thinks that the O.D. is just turned off. That is why I was thinking it might be a loose connection, broken wire, or a bad switch or something. Because the on board computer might just think you have it turned off."

But when the light turns on, there is a noticeably harder shifting going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. But once the light turns off, it returns to shifting "normal". It's done it when road conditions are wet and it's done it when they're dry...mostly wet...(I think...lol) But it's on for a day to two, may turn on a few days following, then it's off for another couple months with no problems shifting at all.
So maybe it is just a loose connection or something...but I don't know... that's why I'm on here. Lol.
Did you notice if yours shifted differently when the light was on?

from what i have read on this site when most people get the flashing o/d light it means there torque converter is slipping mine never did shift any different (from what i can remeber) who read the codes, i would take it to a ford dealer and have them read the codes if you havent done that already lol

hmm...Mine was scanned with two different scanners, one from a body/mechanic shop and the other one was a mechanics personal scanner, (that is shop worthy).
So are you taking yours in to get scanned or are you just going to wait for the light to turn on again?

if it comes on agian i will have it scanned agian btu for right now im going to leave it the way it is when was the last time the atf was changed maybe that might help???

It was changed about 5 years ago...lol.
Somebody else recommended I change it too, for he had an 01' with the light on and just changin' the fluids fixed his.

But if I change mine...it'll be hard to know if it fixed the problem because the light doesn't come on often enough...but maybe I should change it anyway....

Back