• Register Today It's free!

my on board air build

aaron81006

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
I've been wanting to do an OBA setup on my rig for awhile. I've had two SCBA bottles for about a year and finally decided it was time to start this progect.

I've spent a lot of time researching systems and deciding what type of components I want. My goal is to do a York compressor but I haven't been able to find one with a sepentine clutch at the the PNP. The 83 Mustangs usually have the engine already pulled. I may have to just grab whatever one I can find and get the right clutch later. Here is the best setup I have found. Credit to therangerstation.com.

york_onboard_air_diagram-2_zpsrpkxnopp.gif

The goal is something like this:

imagejpg1_zpscec352cf.jpg

My bottles are the old style SCBA with the funky gauge. I went to a few stores around town trying to find fitting that will screw right on but had no luck. My next thought was to find a large screw to fit in the bottle that I could tap into. Then I dawned on me. I do already have the right fitting I just need to modify that one. A little cutting, drilling and tapping later, I changed the fitting on the left to the one on the right.

IMG_20150509_182352_596_zpsqzvywura.jpg

I spent a lot of time trying different fittings. I wanted to use pex quick connect fittings but couldn't get a good seal. I finally ended up with a combo from the barbed hose, pex plumbing and air compressor sections at Home Depot. The pressure test was a success with 132 psi for 24 hrs. I know the pic show 108 but after adjusting my garage compressor, I was able to get to 132 and it held.

IMG_20150515_171953_941_zpszpn6q1wc.jpg

As we all know, the Ex doesn't have a lot of room to mount things. Especially anything of size. I've decided that the best place to mount the bottles is along side the frame rails below the front seats. These bottles are rated at somewhere around 3000# and the bottle wall thickness is over 1/2" so I'm real comfortable with this layout. With some quick measuring, sketching, autocad, about 15 minutes of plasma table time and a huge brake, I ended with these guys.

IMG_20150515_200612_888_zpsmj8dno6m.jpg

The mockup with the bracket partially bolted in and the bottle wedged into place with a screwdriver:

IMG_20150517_164944_086_zpsfzya3c5j.jpg

I like it.

Brackets welded up and ready for paint:

IMG_20150518_162242_559_zpspfnpzutn.jpg

Pretty blue, ahhh. Lol

IMG_20150518_163347_056_zpskrcawhqf.jpg

The frame rails are some sort of double wall design that wouldn't allow me to get a bolt in from the back side. My plan was to tap the frame steel but it wasn't thick enough to get a tight hold and I stripped some threads. It was strong enough to tighten the bolts and snug up the plates to be welded so that's how it's going to be. I drilled a new hole in the body mount and moved the grommet to get better clearance for the e-brake cable.

IMG_20150519_172251_884_zpseryipmy9.jpg

Right now I just have the lines capped. I'm going to run the lines from the p.s. to the d.s. along the bottom of the body and over the heat shroud above the exhaust pipe. I think this should give me enough protection so I can use the rubber hose. If I get melting, I can easily copper pipe it through here.

For now I will only be routing the hose to the engine bay and be installing a quick connect there. At least this will get me operational. I will have to refill from a shop compressor but that will have to do until I get more time and cash.

So far the most expensive thing was the stupid tap for the bottle fitting at $25. I plan to Ebay that when I'm done. Right now I'm right only into this (less the tap) for about $25.

More to come shortly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. What AC unit did you use? I am thinking of doing the same but using my AC unit that I already have.

Not bad...I had been thinking of grabbing a couple SCBA bottles from my department (the old steel ones we don't use anymore), but figured since I can get 1650 PSI into it at the station, I'd just hook 2 or 3 up to a regulator, and make them removable to refill when empty.

I like this though...looks good!

Very nice. What AC unit did you use? I am thinking of doing the same but using my AC unit that I already have.

Thanks.

I don't have it yet. That is a wish list pic. I'm looking for a York 210 with serpentine clutch.

Not bad...I had been thinking of grabbing a couple SCBA bottles from my department (the old steel ones we don't use anymore), but figured since I can get 1650 PSI into it at the station, I'd just hook 2 or 3 up to a regulator, and make them removable to refill when empty.

I like this though...looks good!

Thank you.

Ya, I considered that too. I already have so much stuff back there that I really wanted it hard mounted. Plus, I will need it hard plumbed for some accessories I'm planning.

Ya, I considered that too. I already have so much stuff back there that I really wanted it hard mounted. Plus, I will need it hard plumbed for some accessories I'm planning.

Well with a tire gate, I had thought about taking the old spare hanger out from under mine and mounting them underneath in the back...I also have thought about putting in a BII tank instead of the smaller stock tank, which would take up that space in the back.....so many choices and ways to go with a build lol! :D

I really like your tank set up. That is nice and tucked away. I can't wait to the compressor set up, that dual set up you have pics of looks sweet!

Just wondering if you had given any thought about mounting the tanks so the valves were at the rear. I would recommend a rock shield for the valve assy.

Just wondering if you had given any thought about mounting the tanks so the valves were at the rear. I would recommend a rock shield for the valve assy.

The bottles are facing the rear and lines going up. I have an idea for a line shield if I get have snag issues.

taking advantage of the three day weekend to work on the system again.

Piping the two tanks and the lines to the rear and engine compartment:

IMG_20150524_173321_205_zpsyezqrbds.jpg

IMG_20150524_173327_839_zpsdzi1h1b0.jpg

IMG_20150524_173321_205_zpsyezqrbds.jpg

I used the plasma table to make a morning plate for the rear manifold which is installed under the rear lift gate. I'm pretty happy with how well it's hidden. The neighbors had to come see what the crazy guy next door was grinding on. A hand held plasma cutter would have done a nicer job but it covers so, oh well.

IMG_20150524_185826_766_zpslvwbzcdy.jpg

I had to take out the plastic that covers the gap between the bumper and lift gate. Done really like seeing the chassis thru there so I will make a new cover for that some day.

Still don't have a compressor, so at this point it's still a shop fill system. I did a test and there was just enough air to bring one tire from 15 psi to 35 psi. That's not going to cut it so I'm going to have to ramp up my search for a York.

Talk to your local mobile AC guy, the one who drives around to work on bulldozers and such. Lots of heavy equipment used York compressors with serpentine belt clutch. Nice job on the tank mounts, but don't show them to the state cops if you drive on the road, federal law says you need D.O.T. compliance stamps on air tanks.

Back