• Register Today It's free!

My own swap thread

Mongo420

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4x4
hey i'm probably in the wrong section for this but i have a 1991 ex and a 1989 lincoln town car that i have made into a pretty fast old car. but the explorer is in way better condition but the engine needs a rebuild and the lincoln is pretty spent other than the engine and trans. its a 5.0 liter 302 with and automatic trans and the ex is a 244 4.0 liter with an automatic trans.....see where im going with this? any ideas on how hard and what i would need to change over and so on.y are both efi btw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved this into its own thread since it had absolutely nothing to do with a 1996 V8 Explorer or a 1996 V6 Explorer.

you can do this swap with the efi. you will need to change over the electronics and the computer (ecm). then get a swap kit from Jegs or somewhere like that. Advanced Adapters has the motor mounts and adapters. Hedman has the headers for the swap unless you want to use stock manifolds. You will also need to bang in the firewall on the passenger side so you will have room for the valve cover, and cut away the heater box reshape it. "But all in all its pretty easy". I am in the process of doing this myself

oh wow ya that doesnt seem to bad i just need to invest in a motor stand

Mongo, keep the Explorer for the trails and the TC for the streets. Go check out http://www.grandmarq.net/vb for help getting the Town Car up to par again. The Town Car motor isn't bad on torque but unless you've done a HO conversion it's going to max out at about 175hp with upgraded intakes and dual exhaust. That motor isn't worth putting into the Explorer.

Convert the Ex to a manual transmission and you'll be amazed how much power the automatic leaves on the table.

i would love to keep the town car except i dont have any room for it in our tiny drive way :( its a sweet cat 302 that i did do the HO conversion on. it has dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's and hooker headers. not to mention all kinds of cool LED lights. the only reason i was considereing doing this to my ex is because i have to get a new motor for it and i had the lincoln right there i was just wondering how hard it would be to do a conversion like that.

Back