My partial Explorer Express supercharger kit install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My partial Explorer Express supercharger kit install

oddball101

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger Edge 5.0
Hey all.

Well it has been a long long time since I have really been on the boards. It is cool to see the v8 swaps and mods still going. A lot more people are paying so much more attention to the newer stuff that the traffic just isn’t the same here on these boards (95-01) as it used to be.

Generally, my current drivetrain mods are as follows: She is my daily driver and running like a top.
-2000 5.0 swap to an 01 ranger extended cab Edge model
-f150 m5r2 5spd
-4406 transfer case.
IMG_8066.jpg

I am struggling internally with throwing the awd 4404 TC back on because I have dreams of drifting her on rainy days.. whatever, still might.

As the title suggests, I am going to be installing what I have obtained from Dave as one of the last of three partial kits he had left.

What I have from the kit:
5.0%20%20manifold%20amp%20mount%20parts.jpg

My charger components with the info I have been able to find:
95tbird%20m90%20-vacuum%20setup%20for%205.0%20swap.jpg

The plan is to mount the charger as it sits above, right side up as it does on the 95 tbird. The idea is to mount it with a new fabricated top plate for the EE plenum. I might shift it to the right so that the nose lines up with the support mount but I am leaning towards keeping it centered and just reworking the pulleys for a side pull type action. I say this because the thermostat hose will be directly underneath the snout in this configuration.

I will be cutting and trimming the intercooler in/out-lets to accept standard fittings. First, I will be running without the IC with only a loop type pipe setup until I can come up with something more satisfying. The main goal is to get the system functioning and then fine tune how it all comes together from there.
I do not have a mock-up motor though I am thinking of trying to grab a lower gt40 intake so I can start trying to mock things up.

1. I need to know the exact distance the pulley is from the EE lower intake plenum.
(the 3 mounting holes are of different placement)
2. I need to better understand how the vacuum lines should be adapted for this setup.
(what have I got wrong or missing)

Of course, any tips, advice or input is welcome (needed)... and thanks guys. Your threads have been majorly inspiring.

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dave also supplied me with the CAD design of the top plate as well which I intend to modify. The top plate inlet hole will be at the rear instead of the front and smaller to reflect that of the stock 3.8 upper plenum outlet. No other holes will be in the plenum for the sensors or the bypass valve. I am hoping I will have all of that resolved with the stock 3.8 components I have. If I am mistaken in my logic, tell me.The front of the lower plenum top plate will be recreated to some semblance of an arrowhead shape to capture the triangular pattern of the 3 mounting bolts.

There is also about a half inch gap between the mounting plate and the stock upper plenum outlet that I will have to contend with. Not sure if I want to try making that inlet bigger at the lower plenum side while remaining stock on the upper plenum side. I'd effectively be trying to but some sort of half inch spacer block in there to fill the distance and deliver a more even spread instead of being focused on the # 4 & 8 cylinders. Any ideas for that are especially welcome.

I am trying to build it this way because I do not have the EE bypass valve, intake elbow, other other kit parts that initially came with it. Instead, I am trying to work with what I have in the simplest fashion.

In the top pic, that's the plenums vac connection, you want that to go to your fpr so it sees boost and vaccum, if your going to install a boost guage/etc then you will connect it to the same place (you can see I have a splitter on mine). In the second pic is the vac connection in the intake elbow (pre-blower/vac only) I have 3 tees including the one threaded into the elbow, looking at it from top to bottom the first vac hose goes to brake booster, the next one down (red hard line) goes to your egr solenoid, the next vac line (perpendicular on the t) will go to your pcv valve, from there your final vac line will run to the front of the engine to a t, one line will go to the driver side and one to the passenger side (can't remember exactly what they go to) I drew up somewhat of a diagram, not an artist so don't judge me lol

Wow, that is awesome. Really appreciate you taking the time to snap the shots and draw it out like that. I get to play with the computer a bit so I may try and recreate what you have done with numbers and such so I can try to answer every imagineable question possible.

Really cool man, thanks!

as i mentioned in a pm, i have a install instruction booklet if you need one. i can email it to you if you like. also now that i have looked at your thread, and your going to rework the mount, why not make a mount for a m112?

Vroom, really glad you chimed in. I think we picked up our kits around the same time, I just haven't been able to get to it until now. Your info is a great resource and thanks for posting all that you did. I am not sure I know who Devon is by name. Does he have a tbird m90 on his application? Dave sent me the instructions in the box that my stuff came in way back when, but while my application is similar, it is also different which is why I am scrambling for info and direction.

I will upload the vacuum diagram he sent me. I get about half of it, the rest I am unsure of.
EE%20vacuum%20diagram.jpg

As far as why I am not just slapping an m112 on there, in my case, I am just looking for simplicity right now. Like every other addict, I just want a taste to start. Really though, if I can use the components I have already, it would minimize the expenditure needed. My money tree has been a real prude lately, so I have to make the best of what I can for the time being.

The stock tbird charger setup is relatively whole in the sense that I don't have to get any extra parts for machining (assuming I can get this all to fit with a newly fabbed top plate). I will be using all stock components as much as possible to support my base (throttle body, injectors, fuel pump). I realize this setup will be super basic, but that is the point for my application.

Fabricating a top plate for the EE plenum to mount the m90 and all of its supporting parts aren't going to be that bad as far as I can tell, I just don't have the measurements to have confidence yet that everything will fit. Once I get that all tuned and dialed in, I will inch forward from there. I am not looking for the most, just enough to "wear a smile with the miles."

watching closely

Here are a couple of other tidbits that may be useful for those who can use it.

Backpressure%20Transducer%20Mounting%205.0%2099-01.jpg

Special%20Instructions%20for%2099-01.jpg

The belt routing should be generally obvious for the stock EE setup, but I am posting it here so we all can grab the image to modify for illustration if needed.
EE%205.0%20Belt%20Routing.jpg

Vroomzoomboom, you mention that you have the installation guide. The one that was sent to me was 10 pages long with the addition of the previously posted supplemental information and stickers. Is yours the same number of pages?

I went ahead and took pics of all the pages and put them together in a pdf that is just over 11mb's. If anyone would like the instructions, just pm me and I will shoot them your way. I was hoping to be able to use them as a guide, but seeing how things change with the adaptation of my tbird m90, it will not be as straight forward.

I must say though that the information posted by xploder98 is very helpful. Right now I am just trying to match up what I can between the tbird setup, the partial EE kit and the stock 5.0 system.

And Devon has my old kit lol. Yea, 10 pages sounds right. And a few part numbers I scribbled down that Dave told me to use that he no longer has

Devon, can you by chance tell me the distance from the EE plenum to the first and last points of the charger pulley?

I want to start by seeing the snout length difference between the tbird m90 vs the EE m90.

I'm thinking they'll be fairly close if not the same. Only thing that'll really change is the mount points when I flip it right side up.

Yah as soon as I get home, hanging 230' off a cell tower at the moment lol

!! And you're frickin helpin out your boys on the explorer forum at the same time ?!
HAHA

Awesome dude, no problem.

xploder98.. You by chance able to take measurements of the distance from the EE plenum to the first and last lips of the pulley?

This is a CAD of the "Arrowhead" top plate.
-Red = original unmodified section of the Explorer Express top plate
-Blue = modified section to house the original 3 support mount holes
-Green = rear upper plenum inlet to lower EE plenum
(The Green area will actually have a separate adapter as there is about a 1 inch difference between the EE plenum top plate and the bottom of the tbird upper plenum output)
m90%20arrowhead%2001%2031%202017.jpg

I need to verify the snout lengths are the same (outside of the front being milled down for the support) between the EE 5.0 m90 kit and the 95 tbird m90.

Hey, Devon? Really could use those photo's you posted earlier. Can't see them anymore.. You out there?

Vroomzoomboom, you mention that you have the installation guide. The one that was sent to me was 10 pages long with the addition of the previously posted supplemental information and stickers. Is yours the same number of pages?

I went ahead and took pics of all the pages and put them together in a pdf that is just over 11mb's. If anyone would like the instructions, just pm me and I will shoot them your way. I was hoping to be able to use them as a guide, but seeing how things change with the adaptation of my tbird m90, it will not be as straight forward.

I must say though that the information posted by xploder98 is very helpful. Right now I am just trying to match up what I can between the tbird setup, the partial EE kit and the stock 5.0 system.
Is there any way I could get a copy of the explorer express supercharger paperwork ? That would be awesome, I’m trying to do the install

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any way I could get all the paperwork on installing supercharger on explorer from explorer express ? That would be awesome. I want to do this setup but would like the info. Thanks Rick

Back