My project explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My project explorer

My project explorer SAS full width on 37's

Recently picked a 1997 v8 awd. Had a leaking radiator so the owner kept adding water which in turn rotted out the water pump. After a new cooling system and a new timing set while I was in there.( broken bolt at water pump):mad: it runs like a champ. So I cranked up the torsions and threw some warrior shackles under it with some 33x12.50's on the stock wheels. Yes they fit,yes I trimmed a little Tupperware, yes it rubs on nothing important.I've wheeled it fairly hard,I live 30mins from corral canyon and it made it up bronco peak with some adequate use of the throttle and a don't give a **** attitude.:D:eek:: :thumbsup:.
Then I found a 79' bronco project 2 blocks from my house and got my wheels spinning.?? So I dragged it home and stripped it down for: axles,steering,early bronco Dana 20 t-case, coil buckets,shock mounts,driveshafts, and a few other goodies. Ordered duff arms,5:13 gears,Detroit locker for the front,rear is getting a full spool. 3.5 early bronco coils, 37"tires on 17x8 bead locks. Body will be cut to fit. I really want to keep this thing as low as possible .max 4" lift all around.no body lift. Seems every explorer here has way too much wheelWell? And not enough tire.i have a sawzall and I'm not afraid to use It! Pics to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

37"tires on 15x8 bead locks. Body will be cut to fit. I really want to keep this thing as low as possible .max 4" lift all around.no body lift. Seems every explorer here has way too much wheelWell? And not enough tire.i have a sawzall and I'm not afraid to use It!
This is the proper thinking to create awesome!
What's your time frame estimate? Will you keep the axles full width?

Yes.full width. Hope to start it soon.still collecting parts. Have access to my buddies shop and my own set of keys.

:sawzall::sawzall: BOO YA!

Rebuilt the axles,bought 37's,ordered Dana 20 adapter kit,starting surgery today!

Rear axle is in. Started front removal.cant figure out how to post pics?

Become elite member and upload directly to site. Or get a free hosting account and upload them and link them to the site. I use Flickr but there are many others out there as well.

Only site I'm on that won't let you post unless you pay...:thumbdwn:I think I'll go back to pirate....

Only site I'm on that won't let you post unless you pay...:thumbdwn:I think I'll go back to pirate....

Pirate is the same...you just need a second party site to link your pics from as mentioned.

Upload pictures to photobucket and copy/paste the pic links on the forums. Easy peasy.

Gonna keep going with this thread. No pics..too busy wrench in'
to do geek ****. Anyone that's interested..the 78-79' bronco box will work .(with a/c and smog stuff).( after numerous threads stating it won't.). Move some smog?? Thingy out of the way. Force a/c hose up and over box, trim lower front mount on a/c pump( very carefully.) and space box out off of frame about 1/4". You were gonna plate frame anyhow right! Super tight fit but bullet proof steering!!..

I will have to mod box so pitman arm faces rearward...easy mod..if you got to the west coast broncos tutorial.

Also decided to not change wheelbase. 111.5" is already getting long with the 37's...and putting stock shackles back to lower it down on the stock W'ed leafs..probably gonna outboard springs after its together again.

:ttiwwp:

No, seriously.

If it's not on film it didn't happen!

If it does.i got too add more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are out of order....

Back