My project explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My project explorer

My project explorer SAS full width on 37's

Recently picked a 1997 v8 awd. Had a leaking radiator so the owner kept adding water which in turn rotted out the water pump. After a new cooling system and a new timing set while I was in there.( broken bolt at water pump):mad: it runs like a champ. So I cranked up the torsions and threw some warrior shackles under it with some 33x12.50's on the stock wheels. Yes they fit,yes I trimmed a little Tupperware, yes it rubs on nothing important.I've wheeled it fairly hard,I live 30mins from corral canyon and it made it up bronco peak with some adequate use of the throttle and a don't give a **** attitude.:D:eek:: :thumbsup:.
Then I found a 79' bronco project 2 blocks from my house and got my wheels spinning.?? So I dragged it home and stripped it down for: axles,steering,early bronco Dana 20 t-case, coil buckets,shock mounts,driveshafts, and a few other goodies. Ordered duff arms,5:13 gears,Detroit locker for the front,rear is getting a full spool. 3.5 early bronco coils, 37"tires on 17x8 bead locks. Body will be cut to fit. I really want to keep this thing as low as possible .max 4" lift all around.no body lift. Seems every explorer here has way too much wheelWell? And not enough tire.i have a sawzall and I'm not afraid to use It! Pics to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics of early bronco Dana 20 .and 78' bronco steering box mocked up with ac pump mod.
image.jpg6_2.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Your so close.

Okay on the photobucket page to the right of the image there are 4 boxes with internet shighst in them.

The bottom one says IMG next to it.

Click on it and it will copy it to the clipboard.

Then right click in your post and paste it in.

Boom Pics in the thread.

No geek shipst required..

image.jpg7_1.jpg

Got it! Dana 20 size....they are strong and small.

image.jpg4_1_1.jpg

Mocked up.hoping to get it lower.

image.jpg2_3.jpg

image.jpg1_4.jpg

Dana 20 rebuild almost complete.

I have used photobucket for the last 5 years, and you don't NEED to be an elite member, but I joined the elite after receiving tons of help, and figured it was worth the $20, because my cost savings of the help was well more than $20.

Edit... My bad you got it under control.

Early bronco speedo cable next to 96'-98' vss.
image.jpg4_3.jpg

Early bronco ZF adapter and advanced adapters 1/2" spacer fits perfectly!
image.jpg1_5.jpg

Awd t- case compared to early bronco Dana 20.
image.jpg2_4.jpg

Been.slacking on this... Got the duff arms on the frant axle and slid it under today. Was waiting for this heat to subside.but getting back at it.also picked up another v8 AWD exploder...$200.. Had a bad fuel pump relay....gotta love it!

Been chipping away at this thing. The finish line is in sight! Got frame sleeved and plated for 79' bronco box. Dana 20 is in and shifting,got shocks and steering figured out, bobbed rear quarters,brakes are done just need caliper lines,just got trac bar and order drive shafts.

Just finished jmod on trans. Pretty much done with the SAS. Just got to order drive shafts.

Been driving it. It's drives great. Tape measure alignment and all.

Here's a link to my pics..
(dead link)

Build specs:
Garage kept 97' v8 AWD 115,000 miles bought from og owner.
Early bronco Dana 20 transfer case
High pinion full width d44 with fms 5:13 gears,Detroit locker,superior shafts,Yukon super joints,t bird calipers,warn hubs,crane diff cover and relocated wedges.
9" rear from 79' bronco,,full spool,5:13 gears,31 spline shafts, ruff stuff anti wrap spring perches and plates.drum brakes ..for now
79' bronco steering box,frame fully plated and sleeved. Ruff stuff 7/8" heims steering links.
37" pro comp tires on 17x8 forged eagle wheels.
1310 cv drive shafts from tom woods
Duff arms,duff 2.5" coils,early bronco coil buckets,f250 Shock mounts in front stock location rear shocks
B&m trans cooler with fan
B.C. broncos trac bar,brake lines,and steering hose
Custom bumpers and warn 8000lb winch
J modded trans,with advanced adapters ZF adapter and spacer.
Total investment for my cheap craigslist,eBay,pirate4x4 classifieds shopping ass....
$6-7000 Total!

image_8_1.jpg
image_8_1.jpg

Attachments

• image_8_1.jpg
    image_8_1.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 145

image.jpg3_3.jpg
']
image.jpg3_3.jpg

image_5.jpg
']
image_5.jpg

Back