• Register Today It's free!

My puddle lamp mod with pics

zerokool

Reaction score
City, State
NWFL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
***this is a modification I did to my own vehicle. I am in no way responsible for what you do to yours***

I came about this modification as a result of a screw up on my part. I decided I wanted brighter puddle lights. So I replaced my bulbs with some 921 Sylvania Silverstars. They definitely worked. Some time down the road, I decided to pop the housing out to show a buddy how well they fit and I broke the lens. I saw the lens had a yellowish color to it, so I pulled out the housing and noticed that those super awesome 921’s were melting my housing.
IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

So I found this smdled “WLED-xHP6-DAC” (surface mount led) on www.superbrightleds.com ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/WLED-WHP6-D.htm ) It is a side facing smdled. I found that a US quarter fit into the housing sideways with a couple hairs to spare. I found the quarter is 24.3mm and that the led I wanted was 22.9mm.
IMG_0907.jpg

Perfect. So I ordered them up for $11.95 a light. I stopped by Home Depot and picked up this sheet of Lexan, which was more than enough, for $3.98. It has a 10 year limited warranty against yellowing. I figured since I would be in the elements that would be best as opposed to some of the other cheaper options. I had to use a dremel with a cutting wheel to get the other lens off the housing. The glue was still pretty firm on that one. I cleaned up the surface where the glue was, traced an outline on the Lexan, and cut the shapes out.
IMG_0904.jpg

I then held the Lexan on the housing and just used a grinding stone to smooth things out and bring the edges down to size. Just as a note, these trucks are starting to get some years on them, so the plastic can be brittle. I broke off a tab that holds the housing close to the truck on one and the clip that holds the housing in the truck towards the outside. It is currently drying with some silicone that I put behind the clip to get it to hopefully hold.
IMG_0910.jpg

The plug had to be mounted into the housing, and the led then mounted into the plug. ***TAKE YOUR TIME the led is a little tuff to get into the plug***
IMG_0908.jpg

I then used the clear silicone and sealed up the Lexan to the housings. So far, I’m extremely pleased. I do wonder about the longevity of the led’s since the puddle lights dim. I’m not too concerned with since they dim and cut off. They don’t dim down and have to maintain light at a dimmed state. I had to enhance this pic a bit just to match the brightness of what the lights look like in person.
IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job. Thanks for taking the time to do the write-up!!

What's with the pic of the inside of Advance Auto Parts? :dunno:

lookin good

Very nice.

With the new LEDs, is the light more directional at the ground Vs. the originals?

Are the outside pictures a before and after? And how exactly do you get the puddle lights off? I'm looking at doing a full LED conversion inside and out and couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get them off.

Are the outside pictures a before and after? And how exactly do you get the puddle lights off? I'm looking at doing a full LED conversion inside and out and couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get them off.

You do not need to remove the mirror to do this. This picture is from the Signal Mirror How To. That's why the mirror has been removed.

Keep the mirror on the Ex and insert the blade as shown, then push up and away from door and the lens will pop out. Then twist the socket out of the lens to remove the bulb.

Be very careful with the razor blade so you don't cut yourself! If you are having trouble with the razor blade then using a very thin, small screwdriver might be the way to go! Mine popped out very easily with the razor blade. That's why I suggest using it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps out.

3dRemovePuddleLightLense.jpg

Thanks for the post Rondo. I figured it was just that simple. I tried to do it with a flat blade screwdriver, but it was just too thick and I was afraid to break it. This mod maybe in the near future.

Thanks for the post Rondo. I figured it was just that simple. I tried to do it with a flat blade screwdriver, but it was just too thick and I was afraid to break it. This mod maybe in the near future.

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Back