My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Lexus LS430

Ever think of putting matting under you explorer like a lexus has it makes it aero efficient and from what i hear helps alot with wind resistance under the car....i think if that was done youd see a 4-6 gallon gain cuz of the extrme reduction in drag on the underside of your car....my dad has a ls and the underboddy looks all spiffy and clean with none of the ugly underside showning! By the way aldive id love to see your car in person....i live in sarasota to! but i have a ghey ohv 6 that eats me for lunch and i do the 2100rpm drive and get like 17.6 all city.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I have considered doing the undercarrage covering. However, with the air damn on front, I am not sure how much would be gained from it. But it is on the list of future projects.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DocVijay...that looks exactly like my dog.

I get crappy mileage, as well. I paid $1.95 this morning for low octane. Some might say that's not so bad, but it's pretty rough around here b/c we have probably one of the worst local economies you could imagine. Translation? low wages and high prices.

JDraper...I think you have a misprint. You typed $.77/gallon. WTF??? I think I'm gonna be sick.

Putting the final touches on the Explorer this morning for another Atlanta run.

A Zaino Z2/Z6 treatment, a check of the fluids, pump the tires to 40psig, fill with Amoco 93, set the computer for the 93 program with the Apten Flasher and I will be ready to head out at O dark thirty tomorrow.

I am shooting for 30 MPG…..

Back from the Atlanta run...

Sarasota to Atlanta 515 miles avg speed 73.4 MPH 29.5 MPG
Atlanta to Sarasota 509 miles avg speed 70.8 MPG 31.2 MPG

The tire pressure was 35 psig,,,, too lazy to pump up prior to trip.

Other thing I did prior to trip was to clean and re oil my KKM intake.

Best I ever did was Pa to NY on 4.5 gallons or so 31.25mpg but that was like 3 years ago now I get an avg of 140mi in NYC driving on a 18 gallon tank (i think)maybe 19? so approx 7mpg city and 13 highway?

thewishkah said:
Best I ever did was Pa to NY on 4.5 gallons or so 31.25mpg but that was like 3 years ago now I get an avg of 140mi in NYC driving on a 18 gallon tank (i think)maybe 19? so approx 7mpg city and 13 highway?

Thats amazing mileage from a first generation.....

Please detail for us how you achieved this enviable mileage. What mods have you made? How fast were you driving?

Further, to what do you attribute the demise of the mileage?

Thanks….

aldive said:
Sarasota to Atlanta 515 miles avg speed 73.4 MPH 29.5 MPG
Atlanta to Sarasota 509 miles avg speed 70.8 MPG 31.2 MPG

Still looking good there. I too just cleaned and re-oiled the KKM.
I will update my mileage: (1st gen, 4x4 Sport, I now have AMSOIL synth throughout, Apten 93 performance program, big MAF, TB, etc.).

14.3 mpg in period 8/5/04 to 8/18/04 -- in town driving
15.3 mpg in period 6/13/04 to 6/28/04 -- in town driving
21.1 mpg in period 5/18/04 to 5/21/04 -- hwy driving 75 mph avg speed

-----------------------------
contrast, 1 year ago (before synth ATF):

13.5 mpg in period 8/22/2003 to 8/30/2003 -- in town driving

--------------------
contrast, 2 years ago (fewer mods):

12.5 mpg in period 7/8/2002 to 7/19/2002 -- in town driving

-------------------------------

For winter driving (which here, is only Dec, Jan, Feb) you can knock 1-2 mpg off those figures. I think 15/21 isn't too bad for a 1st gen 4.0 OHV truck!
The sticker figure was 15/20...

Oh, and I need to test, but I got 21.1 mpg at 75 mph; I should test at 70 mph or 68 mph, maybe I can get 22 or 23 mpg! I would really like that.

From Reno NV to San Jose Ca- I got 29.5 mpg! I went about 72-75 mph the whole way!!! I was pretty stoked until I got 23mph on the way back. On average, I get about 21-23 mph around town and 25 on the freeway.
I have a stock 97 SOHC with 107k miles (soon to receive 31" and 2" lift!!!). Aldive- that is amazing that you got 30! Congrats!!!

I've been thinking about those trip there and back discrepencies in mpg. Maybe it's because of the headwinds or tailwinds encountered. A 10 mph tailwind dosen't sound like it would make much difference, but with these aerodynamicly challenged vehicles, maybe it does.......???

It would be interesting to factor in the weather conditions on these long mpg runs, especially the wind direction and speed.

I consistently get 20mpg driving to work and back on a 2 lane country road. My speed varies between 25 and 75 mph (have to drive through a couple small towns on the way). I have a 91 Eddie Bauer 4x4, 5spd, 3.73 limited slip, no mods and 174,000 miles. I do very little city driving and very little interstate driving. I don't run the A/C much, I just open the windows and the sunroof. I have never gotten more than 23 mpg on a trip and no worse than 15mpg in the winter using 4x4. The tank is 18 gallons and I usually get 360 to 370 miles from a tank. I don't baby it at all and we have a lot of hills here in northern WV. I try to keep it over 2000 rpms because my high mileage transmission makes a lot of noise at lower rpms. I think my wifes 92 Navajo 5spd with 3.27 open rear gets similar mileage, but I don't drive it enough to know. I know her 98 XLT with an automatic and 3.73 limited slip is a little harder on gas though.

bellifritz said:
The tank is 18 gallons and I usually get 360 to 370 miles from a tank.

If you have a stock gas tank, yours is 19.3 gallons capacity.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
I've been thinking about those trip there and back discrepencies in mpg. Maybe it's because of the headwinds or tailwinds encountered. A 10 mph tailwind dosen't sound like it would make much difference, but with these aerodynamicly challenged vehicles, maybe it does.......???

It might.. and I would also say that TERRAIN might make a big difference. For example, Reno, NV to San Jose, CA as mentioned above, thats overall a downhill drive. Reno is at 4000 feet ASL and San Jose is near sea level;
surely that has to make a difference.

On the other hand if you drove from San Jose (sea lvl) up to Reno, (4000 ft) the overall trip is uphill in the Sierra Nevada mtns. Does this sound like it might be a factor? Maybe 1 mpg difference??

Rhett said:
If you have a stock gas tank, yours is 19.3 gallons capacity.

Hi Rhett, it's the stock gas tank, but I don't run it until it quits. When it gets to empty I refill it and it takes 18 gallons.

I'm lucky if I can squeeze out 15 mpg. It's more 13 around town.

briwayjones said:
The stock gas tanks on the '91s were 18.3 gallons.

Now that's interesting. Do you know that for a fact? Where'd you hear that? I'd like to know if I'm wrong...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the other hand if you drove from San Jose (sea lvl) up to Reno, (4000 ft) the overall trip is uphill in the Sierra Nevada mtns. Does this sound like it might be a factor? Maybe 1 mpg difference??
Definitely is a factor. It was almost ALL uphill :thumbdwn: , but I was still surprised that it so well. I have been getting 20 recently with the winterized gas and my new 31's. Ooooh, I love 31's.\ :D

Back