• Register Today It's free!

My Ranger vs The River...

Phrog

Reaction score
City, State
Glide, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '98 XLT
Here's the deal...I've been down bouncing around this part of the river countless times before, never had any issues w/the Ranger...However, I believe the river won this round...While crossing it, I believe I hit the water a tad to fast this time and the water made it past my intake...Made it across the river...However the engine more or less went, "Gurgle, gurgle, TING TING TING....SMACK" and then died on me.

Now she's completely seized as far as I can tell...Won't turn over an inch (nearly fried the starter tryin ;)...Click, smack, nothing...Rinse and repeat till starter smokes...Been doin this for the past few days.

So at this point, what would my options be? Is the 3.0 pretty much toasty?

Thanks,
PHRoG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try putting a socket on the crank and turning it over. If it doesn't budge I suggest searching www.car-part.com for a new motor

Put in a 4 or 5.0 and then do a research on Snorkel 101. Welcome. But that's a heck of way to have to introduce yourself. good luck.

you letting it run after the initial gurgle then trying to start it to the point of frying the starter, have killed your engine. You see water dopesnt compress. Some people actually realise what is going on. Shut the engine down, remove the spark plugs and try turning the engine over. Thje water will be pushed out through the spark plug wholes. Then they change thier oil and other fluids. That is what you should have immediatly done. Try doing this but i know that your engine is ineed gone. Start looking around in Junkyards or something for a new engine. Sorry

I kinda figured that was the case...I've read before where people have/or have been suggested to file a claim with their insurance...She's fully covered, hell even only have a $50 ded. on it.

boominXplorer said:
try putting a socket on the crank and turning it over. If it doesn't budge I suggest searching www.car-part.com for a new motor

Hehe, tried that...Even tried having a chevy monster drag me along (yeah, tires just skidded)...This was well after I had figured the engine was toast, so kinda shrugged my shoulders and said, "Why the hell not!"

:D

Try that. Say you were driving along and hit a deeper than you thought puddle.

I dont think that engine is gone yet. Just do what was suggested (pulled the plugs, turn it over a few times by hand, spray some starting fluid in each cyl, change oil, , etc...) and see what happens from there.

IZwack said:
I dont think that engine is gone yet. Just do what was suggested (pulled the plugs, turn it over a few times by hand, spray some starting fluid in each cyl, change oil, , etc...) and see what happens from there.

Just got finished trying this...Still no go :thumbdwn:

Still wont turn over? Did you try turning it over by hand? (using a socket on the front pulley)

Yup and even used a pipe as a huge lever....bent the pipe...Had my buddy pull me at about 15mph and popped the clutch as well...Just came to a screeching halt.

I'm most likely just going to have insurance take care of it...Question on that though, would the insurance just pay to have a new engine put in, or would I have the option to take said funds and say...Do a 5.0 swap? :D

I've never used my insurance for anything, so unsure how this process goes.

Well, I spoke with my agent, just inquiring about a claim and told him exactly what happened...Explained that I would handle the repairs myself if they were minor but wanted to know if the worst case scenerio this would be covered...I was told that it absoultely would be covered under my current policy and to take it to a shop and get some estimates on the repairs.

My question at this point is when I do take it in, if it is found to be completely toast...Is there a method for me to request they cut the check to me instead of said auto shop?

I mean, if I have to, I'll just let them put another 3.0 in and wash my hands of it...However if I could use the funds for a 5.0 swap, I would far prefer to do that.

Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

PHRoG

It all depends on the company. I know with mine (Gieco)They give you an estimate and write the check to you and you decide what to do with it. You can keep the check for yourself or sign it over to the shop. Unfortunatly I've had to go through the insurance policy before. :fire:

snoborder42 said:
It all depends on the company. I know with mine (Gieco)They give you an estimate and write the check to you and you decide what to do with it. You can keep the check for yourself or sign it over to the shop. Unfortunatly I've had to go through the insurance policy before. :fire:

Hmmm, sound promising...I'm through Geico, however signed up via a local agent instead of the web (still like the warm and fuzzy feeling of having a face to face person to deal with ;)

Hope that's how they hand this...If so, 5.0 here I come!! Hooowever, I've always wondered if a 351 Winsor would fit in her (I still have a current offer from someone to have it for free ;).

Main concern there is I believe with a 351 I would be forced to SAS and then overhaul everything to handle the power (he's modded the 351 to a 416 I guess, owes me a ton of favors and he put a bigger engine in his rig).

Thats amazing that they would cover the damages. Going off the roadway is considered abuse so I would have expected them to say sorry your screwed. I remember when I mentioned the local auditor that I go offroading, he told me not to mention it to anyone anymore since technically they can revoke their policy for it.

Blee1099 said:
Thats amazing that they would cover the damages. Going off the roadway is considered abuse so I would have expected them to say sorry your screwed.
I was under the same impression BLEE, maybe we need to move to Oregon :D

Well, he did ask me where it happened and it was actually off a paved boat ramp...Basically the water is usually pretty shallow there and about 15ft across is a large beach that the river splits around...People cross it all the time and park on the beach...I did tell him it happened at the boat ramp, maybe thats why it's covered? Not sure on that one.

Maybe I missed it but did you pull the spark plugs and then crank the engine? Could be hydralocked, water traped in a combustion chamber....?
If the engine wasn't running at a high RPM or load when it injested the water there may be no damage to the rod or piston.

....If you pull all the plugs all the way out, and it STILL will not turning over, you MAY have broken the Crank, or at the LEAST broken a con-rod, jamming the it against the block.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is byfar the funniest post ever! :)
good job on the pulling it and poping the clutch! lol

yeah and go to the most expensive shops u know of..ask them if it would be more expensive to acutally fix the engine or get a new one.. either way try to get the most money out of it..buy getting the most expensive shop to do it. and then tell the insurance company i want the check..i did it.. i think u can do that with any insurance company. its basically up to u what u want to do.
say its 2500 to do the repairs and install for a new engine. take that park the truck and throw a 5.0 in there.
While u were at the boat launch u should have pulled all the plugs, turned it over a couple of times. while the torgue of the big chevy and dropping the clutch is probablly what did the damage. :) lololol

Back