My rear brakes look like they are wearing funny. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rear brakes look like they are wearing funny.

onedownfiveup

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I was filling the Explorer up with fuel and killing time while waiting for the pump to finish just checking the vehicle over and noticed the rear brake rotors looked like they were wearing weird. The front rotors are clean and shiny like the brake pad has fully contacted it, however, the rear brake rotors look like the brake pad is only contacting the lower portion of the rotor. This is on a 2016 XLT. I posted pictures of each rear brake rotor below. Anyone have the same thing happen to them? It's still under warranty so I might just call and have Ford look at it.

MkgkQ9r.jpg

DvtDXpT.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the pads are probably bound up and tilting in the ‘carrier’.

Common with older vehicles. Wouldn’t expect it on a ‘16, though. They look fairly rusty, and the rotors look kinda beat. Probably need pads, and a skim off the rotors.

Common with older vehicles. Wouldn’t expect it on a ‘16, though. They look fairly rusty, and the rotors look kinda beat. Probably need pads, and a skim off the rotors.
At first glance, I thought it looked like if you leave your vehicle out all night on a humid night and in the morning your rotors have rust on them until you move the vehicle and hit the brakes. This vehicle is stored in a garage at night so I was like that's not possible, then I was like wait, even if it were I have since then hit the brakes many times.

I would also think it is a issue with the pads since there is nothing else that contacts the rotors that I'm aware of.

Peter

I would also think it is a issue with the pads since there is nothing else that contacts the rotors that I'm aware of.

Peter

That's what I was thinking. I'll be calling a Ford dealership to get it checked out.

I’m sure it’s not. I’m surprised they cover them at all, since they are a wear item.

I’m sure it’s not. I’m surprised they cover them at all, since they are a wear item.

The brake caliper bracket is not a wear item like brake pads/rotors would be. The caliper issue is causing the brake pads/rotors to wear improperly.

Good luck getting Ford to repair it free. They will tell you your pads are bad, and just clean up the mounts.

Good luck getting Ford to repair it free. They will tell you your pads are bad, and just clean up the mounts.

At the end of the day, if they don't do it for free, they aren't doing it at all. I'll do it myself. There is no way I'm letting them charge me their hourly rate to fix it.

This is from a 2016 Explorer Warranty Info:

COVERAGE TYPE: Bumper-to-Bumper COVERAGE DESCRIPTION: 3 years / 36,000 Miles (whichever occurs first)
ADDITIONAL INFO:
Some B-to-B parts have limited coverage available:

1. Brake pads/linings are limited to 12 months / 18,000 mile coverage
  2. Wheel alignment and wheel balance are limited to 12 months / 12,000 mile coverage
  3. Windshields replaced for stress cracks are limited to 12 months / 12,000 mile coverage
  4. Windshield Wiper blades are limited to 6 months coverage
  5. Tires are prorated after 12,000 miles driven

This is from a 2016 Explorer Warranty Info:

COVERAGE TYPE: Bumper-to-Bumper COVERAGE DESCRIPTION: 3 years / 36,000 Miles (whichever occurs first)
ADDITIONAL INFO:
Some B-to-B parts have limited coverage available:

• Brake pads/linings are limited to 12 months / 18,000 mile coverage
    • Wheel alignment and wheel balance are limited to 12 months / 12,000 mile coverage
    • Windshields replaced for stress cracks are limited to 12 months / 12,000 mile coverage
    • Windshield Wiper blades are limited to 6 months coverage
    • Tires are prorated after 12,000 miles driven

So does the brake caliper bracket count as "linings"?

I wouldn’t think so: Linings should just be consumables.

UPDATE:

First dealership said: Rotors are good, brake pads are good, calipers are good and it's just brake dust from the metallic brakes. It can be cleaned at the car wash or a brillow pad. I guess I'll be jacking the vehicle up and taking a look myself to verify.

Lies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope they aren't wrong... I'll be jacking up the vehicle and checking myself. If they are wrong I have the Reginal Service Manager's number. Telling a customer the brakes are fine when they aren't to avoid warranty work is dumb.

Back