My rusted floor Part #1 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

My rusted floor Part #1

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
you have some work ahead of you !!!!!!

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Wow, that's brutal. :(

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
Nasty man. Break out the mig!

That reminds me, I need to undercoat again...

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
I cutted it and patched it with rivets and aluminium sheet. I will put house roof pitch black on it i made the same thing in my rear quarter panel..solid as ciment lol.

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Part #2

Here is the job done for the metal sheet. I knwo its ugly but i dont have a welder and i dont know how to weld so i tried to repair it in cold and snow. Next step is pitch black :p

Kyle0614

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
very nice job considering the weather conditions, i don't know how to weld either i' probably would have done the same if it were mine

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
By the way guys. Rich or poor when you can save money its important so heres my trick. Why pay for metal sheets when you can get them from old mufflers? Most of times a truck muffler is thick enough and is made of galvanized steel. I got mufflers that are scrap but not rusted outside...i cut the outshell with the grinder and use it and soemtimes theres enough small metal divisions inside to patch small holes.
I'm a poor man with a rich brain :p

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
yikes, that doesn't look like fun. i'm going to be facing the same thing or close to it with my sport (rockers are gone, dam ground effects). my thing for sheet metal is old hood. they are mostly flat and not rusted out.

bp1506

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Yeah i like the ground effects on the second gens however i am too also facing the rocker rust. I am going to have to take care of that one day. But right now i also have my camaro to do rust repair on.

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
For my parts ill only patch this plate but this summer im going to do my rockers with metal sheets that i will work myself and put the pitch black for asphalt on it ..its a little ugly but damn so solid.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I wish you luck. I suggest that you invest in some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, and rust solution(used to be Oxysolv). The liquid solution can seep and weep into cracks to kill the rust. Nothing is perfect, but it worked very well for my 91 LF door bottom, and a hole where the quarter panel meets at the bottom(where you just repaired). The Encapsulator will seal surfaces from rust, but not kill it inside of seams.

Also, Ultra Black RTV is very good at sealing holes and cracks like you have remaining. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread032.JPG
    Projectthread032.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Projectthread040.JPG
    Projectthread040.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 307

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Thank you but i have to do more than just this job on my truc so it gonna be better with pitch black. The products you told me they odnt seem to have it here so i will do with what i can get :p

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Eastwood is one of the best companies to deal with, they have very good customer service. I had the Oxysolv(old name) already, so I can't say what it costs now. The Rust Encapsulator was just over $30 per quart. You can do a lot with those smaller container sizes. You should try them if you can wait a few days to get it. Regards,

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
umm I think you have no material left in your rocker panels?

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Ok thank you but ill have to cut a lot of shot out there so i prefer to build a 1 piece rocker and support hold it with the floor and put pitch black...easier for me and i dont know how to weld and dont have equipment for it ..if you looked earlier posts you could have seen it ;)

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
I saw it, just that rivited in patches are not legal here or Nova Scotia, I just figured that Quebec would be the same. It may get picked up in an inspection, that's all...

Bonne chance