My SAS 97 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My SAS 97 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pictures or details on the suspension?

I see coils in the front and it looks like drop brackets on the rear leafs?

Any pictures or details on the suspension?

I see coils in the front and it looks like drop brackets on the rear leafs?

Yaep, that´s right Long Sackles and drop brackets on the rear leafs, because if a put de axle under the leafs it gets to high.
And in the front I install coils from Grand Cherokee 97, with Rancho RS9000 shock absorbers

are those tie rod ends on the front lower arms mounting them to the frame?

and on the leaf drop brackets, whats to stop them from pivoting backwards?

looks nice a clean though!!

i might put this in a fail thread. there is way to much info on this site to try something so crazy. i bet it will work on the street but once it hits the trail i dont see it going to well for you. if its for looks whatever just there are to many weak points and things that will get hung up. good luck.

there is way to much info on this site to try something so crazy.

Exactly. Also why take shortcuts when you have that much time and money into it. It does look good minus the shortcuts. Search around there are dana 30 swap threads on here to give you ideas.

Hi Guys! Thanks for the advice, those tide rod end on the front are from a Ford F7000 truck, we have tried them on trial competition jeeps and they work nice, so we are trying them on the X, so far they are running Ok....but if the start to show some signs of faillure I´ll replace them.
And jeepeater, what do you mean exactly with leaf drop brackets?? (I´m sorry but my technical english is not good) the ones on the front of the leaf are bolted on the chasis with 2 bolts on the sides, one on the front and one on the back, so they are steady, the rear ones, are like the War Shackles, those pivot backwards like the original ones.
My first choice was to put the differential under the leaf, It was better than install it over the leaf and drop it. But when I tried that the truck got to tall, even if I straight the leaf.

dsc03023zu.jpg

If it is bolted in the 2 spots circled then its not so bad. Never saw anyone use these before.

dsc03023zu.jpg

If it is bolted in the 2 spots circled then its not so bad. Never saw anyone use these before.

Hi, yes It has those 2 bolts, plus one in the other side and one in the back, but they don´t appear in the picture.-
I would like install the axle under the coils, to get more ground clearance, but We did that because if I install the axle over the coils the truck went too high.

Interesting....why is the steering box so low?

Hi Glen! It´s a Dodge Ram 2500 Steering Box, we installed that way because there was no room inside the chasis... in the back it´s inatlled the panhard bar, and in front of it the radiator, so the only place left was under the chasis.
However it is well protected by the skid plate, that covers it completly.
Here in Argentina we don´t have easy acces to a variety of parts, and they are very expensive. I could fine this cheap so I used it.-
I think a better sterring box for my projet woulb be the ´79 Bronco, or othe to install outside the chasis; but it was hard to find.-

I think it is a fine effort. Looks lke it performs well for you and that is what matters. I think the whole truck looks pretty snazzy, and I bet you are the envy of your friends. Considering what you have to work with--good job. Upgrades can come later as parts become available.

Thanks a lot!!!

buy the way, my power steering pump was failing and leaking fluid, so I wanted a high performance pump. there are no performance parts for explorer here, so some I have to buy in US, and some work with what he have. In short and excellent pump for explorer is the original one from a car calle Renault 19, wich is very popular here...

as much as id hate to put a mopar axle under my truck id do it just to rid of the ifs. ive been thinking about it lately mostly because the axles are a dime a dozen. If there was only somewhere else to cram the steering box

Back