My sister's treehouse makes national news | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

My sister's treehouse makes national news

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
My brother-in-law is what you might call crafty and creative...plus meticulous. So he decided to build a treehouse that took over like many of our explorer addictions. So they were having a backyard party when a friend brought along a local news anchor, who then decided this tree house needed a feature for a feel-good story on local news, then CNN and yahoo picked it up. Enjoy.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=9571609

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Nice tree house!

Hopefully, the code enforcement people will not show up and go after it..

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
exactly what I said, here's how our conversation went

Sue: So our treehouse is going to be on the local news
Dan: oh yeah, you just gotta show off huh
Sue: well this lady from the news saw it and thought it was really neat
Dan: and somebody will be pissed because your tree house is nicer than their house and turn you in to the city inspector
Sue: well, it's not really anything big except that there is power in the tree house but I don't think that they really mentioned that in the story

post story conversation

Dan: so, they really didn't mention much about the power in the tree house huh? that's pretty much all they mentioned in my opinion.
Sue: ummm, yeah, they took a bunch of video and pretty much used all the parts about the electricity in their clips.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Very Cool!!!:thumbsup: Thank god I don't have a yard with a tree:p:

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Nice tree house!

Hopefully, the code enforcement people will not show up and go after it..

Worst case scenario, Code will say to have it inspected, and they'll have to pay a late inspection fee, and possibly a building permit, but I'm not sure.

My Mom's a code enforcement officer where I'm from, and it all depends on who inspects it. Just tell them it's an extension cable, it'd be no different the running a blender off of an extension cord.

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
That's pretty sweet. That was always my dream when I was a kid. One of my friends dad's had built a pseudo-treehouse, but nothing like that... but it was fun to get up in there nonetheless.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
That's great Dan:D I just hope they don't get hassled because of the coverage.

The next video on that site was cool too. The countries best lemonade stand:D

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
BTW, I understand your brother in laws philosophy of "I don't keep track and I don't want to know". That's the way I built the Explorer, and now I'm doing the same with the Dart:D

W

WhiteLimited

DannyBoy...The my nick name and your sis in OnAlaska...Are we long lost brothers?

Edit* One Hell of a Tree House!

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
BTW, I understand you brother in laws philosophy of "I don't keep track and I don't want to know". That's the way I built the Explorer, and now I'm doing the same with the Dart:D

It's really the best plan...especialy when your married:p:

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
You know, if I would have had a tree house like that, I never would have been seen in the house!

There's just one thing I'd worry about--wind. With the way the one branch goes through the wall, that would make me worry. The tree will probably flex alot...I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
I'm sure my Bro-in-law has some future growth engineering built into the equation, but it is quite the site. I saw the spiral staircase 2 years ago and was pretty impressed with that.

And his house is pretty much right in line with that treehouse. 4000 square feet, 4 1/2 car garage, completely hidden workshop in the basement that is only accessable by a hidden "bookshelf door" so nobody would ever know it is back there. They built this house as a feature for "Parade of Homes."

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
completely hidden workshop in the basement that is only accessable by a hidden "bookshelf door" so nobody would ever know it is back there. They built this house as a feature for "Parade of Homes."

Was this part featured?:p:

Also-how long did the tree house construction take? (Apologies if it was mentioned in the video, but I didn't notice any mention)

JTX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Reported to code inforcement. The tree needs to be cemented into the ground to meet code. Also i noticed several violations in the 2nd story. The structure/tree will be condemned immediately.

Oh ya, kick ass!

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
LOL Joey, you are just hatin because there is no trees in New Mexico.

Charlie-my brother in law has been building that thing for over 3 years. There was no mention of there actual home as that wasn't part of the story. Whats cool to point out is that my brother-in-law works total white collar with a large computer software or something-or-another firm, but he is just really creative on the nights and weekends. He restored a '69 Chevy C-10 when he first started dating my sister, and has some incredible carpentry skills, he could probably make a lot of money as a finish carpenter but he does even better at his day job. He's the kind of guy who saw a "Pottery Barn" kid's kitchen playset (very expensive by the way), took a picture with his cell phone while his daughter was begging him to buy it, then 6 months later he pulled a 100% hand made replica out of his workshop and gave it to her for a gift.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
That's simply awesome. Growing up, Pop and I built a tree house (enclosed, windows, etc. and all) but erroneously used two trees to support the rear. During one windstorm, we heard a huge thud. The next morning, we found it--whole--on its face/front (the trees swayed apart, and down the thing went). Eventually, Pop, using a pretty complex pulley arrangement attached to the same trees, righted it by pulling the rope with the long-gone Chevy and used it as his storage barn for a few years. :)

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
My neighbors called the building department on me because I made a porch, and a shed. I never would have gotten as far as a tree house where I live. People complain about everything, and have no problem ratting you out. My projects have fines which I'm trying to get rid of. They are super strict where I live when it comes to construction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

igiveup

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
85 Bronco2
Hello

So when can I rent this place? Nice job, looks awesome.

igiveup