• Register Today It's free!

My spare tire

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
Decided to check on the spare tire even though we have relatively new tires (you never know). It was flat, so I lowered it down and washed all the crud off it and washed it. It is a FIRESTONE and still has the little "nubs" from manufacture but can tell it has been in place at least once. The only thing is, the size: (225 70R 15), the correct size tires according to the door sticker are 255 70R 16 (as are installed). Now, this tire is a dedicated spare tire as it has printed on the side wall (TEMPORARY USE ONLY), and a build date of 446, which coincides with the vehicle build date 12/96.

My only question is: Is this the correct size spare tire for a 4x4 with "CONTROL TRAC".
ABKJQFzyurCaO48c-WjJGQBPEQ9T7ClZr0Rwmd2G1G7caUKOd3xX2XzN_DqteAmux1PUwxrhWEGQgew0hDRDdrla_9W4ANxQsgpdj6e-aaif3SSRUnV8RO_7bFzSsQmNxUkcpvsWe7NAY4SwAHNrtv2eTgY_5yn45mTsWvsXny2wil6OAM8zT-n7AoExp34LcFvhsS1SFJXJ6LDcyfio-uYJ5eUWOywQ7b19T4Ls7mLg5dmettK9oXu2aeo0p8UNd8HOEfNTP_ReLUf7RBmH6kiQZi5o5KQlBADUkqaIB-n0wDRZJG0IQi9fhG7TrVxKqqMbAkJ1_0h0rulcdUXPKdbMgfgiyPQSPK5oxVFaVMcUYLdLAtRfwPAE8PuKfZ6JAQL0YZSLub3p8Vrnts1COkIhHdJW--1AyaE59mFZmv5Xq9kEyb9PaCFLkgzDcKsdDh6tMV-p92in1y5mDjFBTUv0gdNIcu3FQHAJcRvtcUdxgmqVy1zssYU1bL6pWtIFC8JmuqDqjVygIFTExcGmx1xij24EwdPv4UWLr78IX76mvlavx9Uo6PGdT8-EBzGHT_TIikgZvk1sIe4qETNz5Zrv8G9_eDt0vg_XYmbVzy5jHqUdchdPbHd16uBYDTY=w1264-h948-no

PjGCatUgy_53S3-6F9MQ7I58Yh9DuPmUPdBBP3Kr5iHAt04i6CgdBnmZ62Bnj0RcEoEB1zyDMD3eSVg8wH8G9n0j_N0fRN8jplwndGsWF4LyQOAmckjnM62bbE7MSBDpso43KQJ3rizeQjipCpWnXAhgp6rsYPz55n_Y4mBRkvGK-k_VC2kuDkzCPLYQW0BfcbNPDOlmqLccH68Pnyx3JJAP1ybB7FrRmhv6Nl3erjMzZn82qHLOAn2XRY2qt3f0f6PkYrQ2pgYaWj4XbnQVgwEtyZBQnIH7wBCbmFDdJeFUYNNdWc-0lvpaFx2rDhh8p5Cp7nwRLWkQenKQeeyBJi42ypYBJA_-2Z1S-R8chJEqRGepGwJVKZ55Th2uDTmMcp-KDAw6onYrgdYPGWYb00o3EyT8gu1u5zH3mPi2TcqF39fuC3dFkmNG1d8Qbuhc5K180RTMzWsWqjieVrKZWb7mPpzaa4LJRkvZ_TUfif0CgN55gpaJtBWofGHLt8a7ff5vn7wObtPQ3fZ280btHYtIIZXdyuFHv6DZSR5A4R2Wovc1kIY_GIzhFLvIP3AR6jxhB6jTW7tn2DndwCyjf9WOHY_jLZOJ1fwGz4nKa26LumearZ3DEIi-kgn4LLo=w1264-h948-no

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it apparently looses air, is marked as a "Temporary Spare" and is old enough to vote I'd get rid of it. Maybe get a newer used tire to use as a spare, even if it's a slightly smaller size. There should be a sticker on the driver's door jam telling you the recommended size tire for your truck. It may also tell you the recommended air pressure, but that may be wrong. I run 32-35 PSI in mine. Back when the Firestone tires were failing Fords recommended tire pressure was something like 26 PSI. That was way too low.

BTW - Never use a pressure washer on tires.

Nice looking tire and rim for being that old. Most of the time the rim is half eaten with rust due to it never being removed.

I agree with Koda2000. Get a new one either the same size you have now or close enough. A spare is only to limp you to the nearest repair place, not drive another 100 miles.

Agree, agree, agree.

These vehicles require that each tire be the same size, and even that each of the tires have pretty much the same wear. Otherwise, apparently the speed sensors indicate slippage, and the transfer case gets put in a jam trying to correct it (or something like that). Anyway, riding on different size tires for more than very short distances at very slow speeds can get expensive.

Good luck.

Agree, agree, agree.

These vehicles require that each tire be the same size, and even that each of the tires have pretty much the same wear. Otherwise, apparently the speed sensors indicate slippage, and the transfer case gets put in a jam trying to correct it (or something like that). Anyway, riding on different size tires for more than very short distances at very slow speeds can get expensive.

Good luck.

The OP could always do the "brown wire mod" and add a switch so that he could turn the Control Trac feature on/off. If I had one of these 4x4's it would be the first thing I'd do. I hate "automatic stuff" like this on vehicles.

The correct size spare for 255/70/16 is 255/75/15, has the same height/circumference (varies slightly by tire brand and model and of course wear). 30x9.5R15 is very close (0.1" smaller diameter), maybe even a better match since it stays unworn (not rotated in with the other 4) while the other 4 get smaller in diameter as they wear.

Then again I suppose you could pick up the same rim as your other 4 at a junkyard, and same tire, and be able to rotate all 5 tires.

I know it's an old tire, it has no major dry rot that I can see, I will see if it holds air and probably just put it back under the truck. We have 4 brand new tires and do not drive it that much anyway, so hopefully I will NEVER need to use the spare anyway, (hahaha). As much as I wouuld like a 5th matchiing rim and tire, the expence is just no worth the cause.

I swapped out the spare on mine a couple months back when I bought my Hankooks. What you should remember is that even if a tire looks fine, the glue that holds the tire together will start to go bad over time, and the steel cords may start to rust.
I understand not buying a "new" tire though. In 23 years I've never used my spare, and it's not much of a gamble if you don't drive the vehicle much.

I’d slap a used tire on it if I ever actually would use it. I don’t even carry a spare. Haven’t for years.

For me, there's no reason to not have the spare match the rest of the tires on the vehicle, at least in size and tread type. If you ever go off-roading, especially in rocky areas, that's probably where you can easily cut a sidewall and need the spare do more than just limp to a service station. If you worked to get into there, you will have to work to get out of there and will want a tire that can perform as needed. Used tires are way too cheap and easy to find, just takes some phone work calling around your area.

If your wheel size for the spare differs from what's on the other four, use a tire comparison tool to get as close to diameter as possible for the spare to the rest of the tires.

My reason for matching my spare to the rest is I like a shiny truck, my Eddie Bauer was and will be the shiniest 2nd Gen I've ever seen in person, I've literally never seen one that was cleaner in person, I'm 99% sure it's repainted, I keep a matched spare in it so that when or if I ever I have a flat, I can just put the spare on, clean it up and it won't even show that I've had a flat. I've been able to snag the wheel and tire generally for $30-$50.

For me, I rely on having a dependable spare. Where I live, no tire stores open on Sunday. Traveling out of town might lead to a no-service area if a have a flat in the middle of nowhere.

I lucked out and snagged a new Fusion SUV tire on eBay for $23.99 delivered. Date was within a few months. There was a glitch on Ebay, so some tires from a particular seller were ~$50 off each. I also snagged a set of Kumho Road Venture AT51 for $183.96 delivered.

One of the pick-a-part yards I go to has 15" steel wheel and tire for $15 plus $2 core charge. An aluminum wheel would change the core charge to $14. Another pick-a-part yard has $20 15" tires. They will dismount tires for $3 so you can just get the tire.

Back