My Spark Plug Change - 2006 EB 4.6L V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Spark Plug Change - 2006 EB 4.6L V8

RenDnB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello Everyone,

Figured I would share my spark plug change story since I used this forum for advising. My father passed away recently. Shortly before he did, he gave me his 2006 Eddie Bauer 4.6L Explorer. Always loved that thing and really glad I have it. Its in decent shape, especially after a bunch of rebuilds he had done with it (instead of trading it in, he plunked down a few thousand dollars to have its tranny replaced, and parts of the engine repaired when it threw a belt).

Anyway, its started ticking and running really rough recently. The CEL came on and I had Advanced Auto check the codes for me. The number 1 spark plug was misfiring; which I thought was odd as I knew he had them changed not long ago. So figured, might as well change all the spark plugs. I referred to this forum for the procedure and things to look out for while I'm doing the change.

Reading all of the horror stories of broken plugs freaked me out a bit. Once I had the money, I bought all the plugs and everything I would need (including the odd sized plug socket which was a 9/16th). I walked through what I was going to do, but couldn't afford the Lisle Spark Plug Removal tool. I was still freaked out about breaking a plug, as my wife told me I was talking about breaking a plug in my sleep haha! My dad did have a mechanic, but given some of the issues I've been having, I was questioning if he did the job.

Anyway, this past Saturday I did the job and happy to report that everything went well. No broken plugs! All plugs came out nicely, with the exception of a few that squeaked and creaked out. However, I found the problem with the number 1 spark plug. It wasn't tightened in at all, and the electrode in the plug actually shot out of the spark plug and welded itself to the plug. Either way, his mechanic did replace them.

After I put all the plugs in and tightened them down to 25 foot pounds per the Haynes manual(I did not use Anti-Seize as a lot of posts I read said not to use it or risk over-tightening), fired up the truck and it sounded smooth and brand new! Also, that ticking sound thats been driving me crazy for the last few months I've owned the truck went away.

Just want to list what I did in case someone needs it:

• Did this from a cold engine. I did not heat them up.
  • Had to buy a 9/16 spark plug socket. Got a cool one from Advanced Auto that was magnetic.
  • Used an air compressor to clean out the holes after I pulled the boots off
  • Used PB Blaster to loosen the threads. Sprayed around all the plugs and let it sit for 15 minutes
  • I used a long 1/2 inch torque wrench to remove. Set it to 30 foot pounds so I wouldn't "force" a plug removal. Some were a little over tightened, but I was able to get them all out.
  • Wiped out each spark plug hole and then put the new Autolite HT1's in
  • Torqued them down, put it all back together and fired it up (used dielectric grease in the boots)
Thats all! Next I have to replace its water pump. However, my dad's mechanic over tightened the fan clutch and I can't get that damn thing off. I have a spare used fan clutch I could use. However, I'll have to take the water pump, pulley, and fan clutch off as one whole unit (without breaking the radiator). I think I should be able to pull that off (no pun intended).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good job, I know I was sweating a lot when I did mine.

And I broke 2, lots of bad words came out of my mouth that day :)

No anti seize? Everything I read/watched said to smother the whole plug, pretty much from the threads down to the tip, to prevent the plugs from bonding to the engine. Even more so on the earlier 4th gens.

Good job!...I have a brand new Ford/Motorcraft water pump for sale with a couple small coolant hoses I’ll throw in for free.
Click the link in my sig...I have a bunch of Ford/Motorcraft parts for sale for 2006-2010 Explorer!

No anti seize? Everything I read/watched said to smother the whole plug, pretty much from the threads down to the tip, to prevent the plugs from bonding to the engine. Even more so on the earlier 4th gens.

Yeah, I've always used anti seize. To be honest, I read a few posts that said no anti seize, and when it came down to it I was being lazy lol. I was so anxious to start pulling the plugs out, that by the time I had everything out, I didn't feel like going back to the store for the grease. Either way, the change on the plugs is just buying me some time until I get a new truck in about a year or 2. So, by the time (or hopefully way before then) its time for a new truck, I'll be trading her in... it'll be bitter sweet. Certainly runs like new with the new plugs though!

I'm not surprised that you didn't break any plugs.
If your father changed the plugs recently, he likely used the 1-piece version. The electrode shield won't separate from the main threaded body.
Then again, maybe he used the OEM 2-pc. Hopefully, you put in the 1-pc plugs this time.

If your father changed the plugs recently, he likely used the 1-piece version. The electrode shield won't separate from the main threaded body.
Then again, maybe he used the OEM 2-pc. Hopefully, you put in the 1-pc plugs this time.

Thebrakeman, how does one know they've purchased the updated plug design? When I did mine, I just punched in my vehicle info and grabbed the Motorcraft brand plugs.

Yes, my dad put the 1 piece plugs in. At least thats what I could tell lol. They looked very similar to the Autolite HT1's I put in to replace them. But yes, 1 piece plugs all the way. Can you even get the 2 piece design plugs still? You'd think they'd do away with them given the breakage issue.

Back