My speedometer stopped working in my 2009 Explorer's cluster when I removed it to replace the light bulbs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My speedometer stopped working in my 2009 Explorer's cluster when I removed it to replace the light bulbs.

hessgary

Reaction score
City, State
Pocatello
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 ford explorer eddie
I have a 09 explorer the speedometer and have stopped working after removing cluster to change dash lights. If I change the instrument cluster is there anything special i need to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 09 explorer the speedometer and have stopped working after removing cluster to change dash lights. If I change the instrument cluster is there anything special i need to do?
Welcome to the group.
Before swapping out the cluster, check to make sure no pins got bent during previous work. BTW Hope your new bulbs are nice. It's very unusual for the cluster to just Stop.
I'm sure you've checked all the fuses, they can be fussey when messed with. Especially if battery not disconnected.

I believe the instrument clusters in 4th gen Explorers are coded to the vehicle. If you swap clusters I think it will have to be programmed specifically for your vehicle due to the odometer mileage is stored in the cluster. There are a lot of instrument cluster repair shops that will diagnose and fix them for a reasonable price. You might want to search in the 4th gen forum for places to use for cluster repairs. Depending on where you live, you might have to mail the cluster to a shop. Also, you should post your question in the 4th gen stock forum to get more responses than you will posting in the New Member forum.

I believe the instrument clusters in 4th gen Explorers are coded to the vehicle. If you swap clusters I think it will have to be programmed specifically for your vehicle due to the odometer mileage is stored in the cluster. There are a lot of instrument cluster repair shops that will diagnose and fix them for a reasonable price. You might want to search in the 4th gen forum for places to use for cluster repairs. Depending on where you live, you might have to mail the cluster to a shop. Also, you should post your question in the 4th gen stock forum to get more responses than you will posting in the New Member for
For instrument cluster replacement you will need to perform cluster to PCM IDS pairing procedure and to fix as build VIN code charts.then you will need to

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was renamed, and moved into the stock 2006 - 2010 Explorer section.
Mr. Bay, I see you have instructed folks to go to different areas in the forum for particular issues.
Is there a table of contents somewhere?? I am having a very difficult time trying to find these various areas. BTW, your replies are very knowledgeable!!

Replacement Instrument cluster could be paired via Ford IDS.should be the same part number or deeper as build file editing will be needed.

I will avoid to post mileage edit instructions since its illegal in several countries.

For instrument cluster replacement you will need to perform cluster to PCM IDS pairing procedure and to fix as build VIN code charts.then you will need to
Another reason to repair the original cluster is any replacement for 2008-2010 models have to be specific to the make, model and year. Even down to option packages in some circumstances. Otherwise, programming to a specific vehicle might not be possible. Good instrument cluster repair shops can repair about any issues with them. Both electronically and cosmetically.

Ive replaced and programmed junkyard Eddie Bauer 2010 cluster to my 2007 XLT by myself..

i mean, you can really do it with medium diagnostics knowledge and Ford IDS + Forscan as build editor...all the as build code editing policy totally similar to F150s for example.

actually any gen 4 Explorer and Mounty production years and makes can be electronically converted to each other using as build charts edit.as long as the modules have the same harness connectors you can pair between any vehicle version (to add fog lights,bigger screen cluster,4x4 control buttons,power seat memory,turn off led light erratic flasher etc).

Even 2010 production year PCM could be paired to any other 2007-2010 Gen4.

Of course dont try to touch or edit as build charts without proper diagnostic knowledge and equipment.

When it comes to things like this most people (probably high 90% range) don't have the skill set for a DIY fix of this nature. Plus, there are odometer tampering laws here in the USA to research and consider if one is doing a DIY instrument cluster swap.

Yeah
We have local odometer fix laws too.
My old and new cluster mileage checked in by MOT and by local ford dealership.they actually doesnt care who changed the cluster if the mileage readings checked acc. to the specs.

Ford OTIS server explains too how to perform and to mark legal cluster change.

Mr. Bay, I see you have instructed folks to go to different areas in the forum for particular issues.
Is there a table of contents somewhere?? I am having a very difficult time trying to find these various areas. BTW, your replies are very knowledgeable!!
The main forum page has all of the categories outlined for each generation. We have sections for specific things such as interiors, stereos, suspension systems, body work, etc.

Back