• Register Today It's free!

My Sport with HID 8000K's

NY1PR2012

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I know that I wrote another thread concerning the few problems that some of us with the Explorer Sports have encountered while installing some of these HID kits where when the light switch inside the car is set to "Auto" and having both the mains and fogs lights on and when you turn the car on some of these lights are either flickering or at least one of them will not turn on. It has also been suggested that we may need a "time delay relay" or a "capacitor" in order for the lights to work as they should without having this problem at all and some of us have gone as far as doing so and the problem is gone.

I purchased last week two HID kits from Coolbulbs.com, one was the 9005 for the mains and the second one was the H11 for the Fog lights both in 8000K. I was a little skeptical at first about installing these lights because of the problems that some of us have had and most of all I didn't want to go and ad another relay to the kit so I called Andrew at Coolbulbs.com and spoke to him briefly and explained to him that I was thinking about returning the kits back to him and I also explained to him why. He understood my concern and at the same time talked me into at least trying the lights and if I was not still satisfied I can always return them and he will refund me the money.

Well let me tell you that I thank him so much for talking me into trying them at least. Today I took both HID kits to my local shop and they installed them within half an hour and the best part of it is that I did not need a "time delay relay" nor a "capacitor" to have both the mains and fog lights work when the light switch is set to 'Auto". There is no flickering at all nor any light was off when turning the car on. In fact the guy that did the installation said to me that "those are the best HID kits that I have ever seen or installed in any car" "Those kits and truly High End Quality" . And trust me that this guy has been installing HID kits for over 10 years so I know he knows his stuff.

So for those future or current Explorer owners that are looking to convert those stock hallogen lights for good HID kits without having any problems please try Coolbulbs.com . I am in no way affiliated with them nor I am putting any other brand of HID kits down. This is based solely in my own experienced with the kits that I purchased from them and that I am extremely happy with their performance. I will highly recommend Coolbulbs HID kits to my family and friends.

Below are some photos of both HID kits installed in my Explorer in my garage.

ExplorerSport12_zps56ec7dca.jpg

ExplorerSport13_zps7cb6979f.jpg

ExplorerSport14_zps033d4a60.jpg

ExplorerSport15_zps5237e08f.jpg

ExplorerSport16_zpsa5bb142e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that Part # G1K-9005 for the mains and G1K-H11 for the fogs?

Sorry,
G1B-9005 for the main and G1B-H11 for fogs.

I was looking under 6000

Sorry,
G1B-9005 for the main and G1B-H11 for fogs.

I was looking under 6000

If you are looking for the ones that I purchased for my Sport in 8000k then the numbers are;
G1B-9005 for the mains and the G1B-11 for the fog lights.

If you want them in 6000K then the numbers will be as follow;
G1K-9005 for the mains and G1K-H11 for the fog lights.

Hope this helps!!

So glad you are in love with them. We have them installed on our 13 Explorer Sport and 11 F-350! We will not purchase any other HID kits from any other company. Andrew has helped us and explains things to help understand his kits better! We returned from Jamaica and tried running them on auto and have no issues.

So glad you are in love with them. We have them installed on our 13 Explorer Sport and 11 F-350! We will not purchase any other HID kits from any other company. Andrew has helped us and explains things to help understand his kits better! We returned from Jamaica and tried running them on auto and have no issues.

Thanks wvusport , I hope you guys had a great time in Jamaica. It's good to have you back in the forum. I'll be leaving to Aruba with the family in May to my time share over there. Those lights are amazing and Andrew have make me a believer of his hid kits and lights. Those kits are truly high end quality. Coolbulbs.com is highly recommended.

You have a HUGE garage!

Just kidding, they look good and I'm happy they worked out for you!

Wow!, NY1, your 8Ks look a lot whiter [which is a good thing, IMO] than a lot of the 8Ks I've seen in person. My opinion of the ones I've seen was that they tend[ed] to just look too blue...but not yours. I figured 6Ks to be the sweet spot between the 4300s & the 8ks if I was gonna do HIDs; but now, I'm not so sure.

Your confident relaying of your positive HID experience and success in beating the flickering, non-starting issues helps me to sell the whole HID upgrade idea to the wife [the primary driver of the ex, too].

Regarding the flickering; Do the coolbulbs kits have something else in the harness to address the flickering or is it something extra your installer added or did that others don't or haven't?

If given the greenlight, I hope I can find a dealer/installer near me that's as accomplished & straightforward as yours. Was it your friends at Ultima you've mentioned? Did they do your LEDs, too?

Would you mind sharing how much you paid to have them do the HID install [heads/fogs]?

If you can get the chance, I'd be great to see photos of the clean install your friends did with the coolbulbs kits; like where they placed the ballasts and any relays, how they ran the wires to the headlight housings, etc. Anything would be appreciated.

BTW, I like where your EXPLORER hood lettering starts, heightwise. Just that smidge higher makes all the difference. I've seen some Sports in person that have them lower/closer to the hood edge, like the Sports in Ford's marketing material. [That badge's position sure seems to get the most variety off the assembly line!]

Thanks, Mike [isiwibi]

Wow!, NY1, your 8Ks look a lot whiter [which is a good thing, IMO] than a lot of the 8Ks I've seen in person. My opinion of the ones I've seen was that they tend[ed] to just look too blue...but not yours. I figured 6Ks to be the sweet spot between the 4300s & the 8ks if I was gonna do HIDs; but now, I'm not so sure.

Your confident relaying of your positive HID experience and success in beating the flickering, non-starting issues helps me to sell the whole HID upgrade idea to the wife [the primary driver of the ex, too].

Regarding the flickering; Do the coolbulbs kits have something else in the harness to address the flickering or is it something extra your installer added or did that others don't or haven't?

If given the greenlight, I hope I can find a dealer/installer near me that's as accomplished & straightforward as yours. Was it your friends at Ultima you've mentioned? Did they do your LEDs, too?

Would you mind sharing how much you paid to have them do the HID install [heads/fogs]?

If you can get the chance, I'd be great to see photos of the clean install your friends did with the coolbulbs kits; like where they placed the ballasts and any relays, how they ran the wires to the headlight housings, etc. Anything would be appreciated.

BTW, I like where your EXPLORER hood lettering starts, heightwise. Just that smidge higher makes all the difference. I've seen some Sports in person that have them lower/closer to the hood edge, like the Sports in Ford's marketing material. [That badge's position sure seems to get the most variety off the assembly line!]

Thanks, Mike [isiwibi]

Hi Mike, The two HID kits that I purchased from Coolbulbs had everything that is needed to do a complete conversion. I remember that it came with two HID bulbs,two ballasts,two igniters, custom Wiring Harness matched to OEM connectorsfor each set, 3M double sided tape and a set of twist ties. In fact i remember that there was something written on the ballast that said "Advanced German Technology" Trust me that each kit has everything that is needed to do a perfect HID conversion. That is why the guy that installed them told me that this was a high end kit because usually he has to ad a relay or a capacitor and that cost $50 more per set. In my case he said that the technology used in these kits from Coolbulbs makes them a high end kit because everything in built in into the ballasts avoiding having to ad anything extra.

Last night I had notice something really nice about the HID lights. When I start the Sport I notice that that the lights throw a quick bright flash and then they seem to start on a low beam warming up for about 5 to 10 seconds until they reach maximun brightness. This is very cool and I have read that this is how true HID Xenon lights are supposed to work. So please don't panic!! There is nothing wrong with this. This is exactly how they are supposed to work.

Here is a link to a youtube video for reference of how these lights work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u0ulQJLKFA

I paid Ultima Sound and Security $100 to have both kits installed. The guy that did it did such a nice and neat job that everything is tucked in so good that you can't hardly see it but I will do my best to take pictures and post them here.

You are right about the Explorer letters on the hood of the car. I have seen other Explorers on the streets where the lettering is right at the edge of the hood. I am not sure if this was done from the factory of they just tried to do it themselves. Mine came like that directly from the factory.

Just curious what color Ford uses in stock in the Limited? I wanted to match stock as close as possible in my Sport. It still seems the 6000k may have too much blue in them.

Just curious what color Ford uses in stock in the Limited? I wanted to match stock as close as possible in my Sport. It still seems the 6000k may have too much blue in them.
The manual shows the HID as being a trade number D3S.
If you want the brightest light go with the 4300 k. They are as close to daylight as you can get. As the 'K' number goes up, the light becomes bluer and the actual light output (lumens) decreases.

http://www.hidoutlet.net/d3s-hid-bulb-single.html

Peter

I know that I wrote another thread concerning the few problems that some of us with the Explorer Sports have encountered while installing some of these HID kits where when the light switch inside the car is set to "Auto" and having both the mains and fogs lights on and when you turn the car on some of these lights are either flickering or at least one of them will not turn on. It has also been suggested that we may need a "time delay relay" or a "capacitor" in order for the lights to work as they should without having this problem at all and some of us have gone as far as doing so and the problem is gone.

I purchased last week two HID kits from Coolbulbs.com, one was the 9005 for the mains and the second one was the H11 for the Fog lights both in 8000K. I was a little skeptical at first about installing these lights because of the problems that some of us have had and most of all I didn't want to go and ad another relay to the kit so I called Andrew at Coolbulbs.com and spoke to him briefly and explained to him that I was thinking about returning the kits back to him and I also explained to him why. He understood my concern and at the same time talked me into at least trying the lights and if I was not still satisfied I can always return them and he will refund me the money.

Well let me tell you that I thank him so much for talking me into trying them at least. Today I took both HID kits to my local shop and they installed them within half an hour and the best part of it is that I did not need a "time delay relay" nor a "capacitor" to have both the mains and fog lights work when the light switch is set to 'Auto". There is no flickering at all nor any light was off when turning the car on. In fact the guy that did the installation said to me that "those are the best HID kits that I have ever seen or installed in any car" "Those kits and truly High End Quality" . And trust me that this guy has been installing HID kits for over 10 years so I know he knows his stuff.

So for those future or current Explorer owners that are looking to convert those stock hallogen lights for good HID kits without having any problems please try Coolbulbs.com . I am in no way affiliated with them nor I am putting any other brand of HID kits down. This is based solely in my own experienced with the kits that I purchased from them and that I am extremely happy with their performance. I will highly recommend Coolbulbs HID kits to my family and friends.

Below are some photos of both HID kits installed in my Explorer in my garage.

ExplorerSport12_zps56ec7dca.jpg

ExplorerSport13_zps7cb6979f.jpg

ExplorerSport14_zps033d4a60.jpg

ExplorerSport15_zps5237e08f.jpg

ExplorerSport16_zpsa5bb142e.jpg

Carlos, thank you for the above info. I placed my order yesterday for the 6000k kits. Looking forward to having them installed.

Fog/Driving Lights

With 8000k in the fog lights I would think that they woould no longer be of use as 'fog' lights since they would be too bright and cause reflection. Probably more suited to 'driving' lights now resulting in more light pollution on the roads. There are times when I feel like flashing my lights at some drivers that run with fogs and headlights on. In most cases there is absolutely no need to have both on in normal conditions.
Anyway, that is my opinion and I feel better now for posting it.:rant:
My personal opinion not withstanding, the pics of the Ex look good.

Peter

Carlos, thank you for the above info. I placed my order yesterday for the 6000k kits. Looking forward to having them installed.

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help you with anything I can. Once you are finish doing all the installations of the accessories you want for your sport it will be nice to see photos. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

With 8000k in the fog lights I would think that they woould no longer be of use as 'fog' lights since they would be too bright and cause reflection. Probably more suited to 'driving' lights now resulting in more light pollution on the roads. There are times when I feel like flashing my lights at some drivers that run with fogs and headlights on. In most cases there is absolutely no need to have both on in normal conditions.
Anyway, that is my opinion and I feel better now for posting it.:rant:
My personal opinion not withstanding, the pics of the Ex look good.

Peter

Hi Peter, your opinion is highly respected and understood. I live in New York City and having these lights in cars and suvs is very common. I haven't had yet anyone flashing their lights at me and on the contrary I have been given a lot of compliments from people that are also interested in knowing where to purchased these lights for their vehicles. My lights although 8000k's as you know they are not as bright as the 5000k's or less. I think they are the perfect match for the Sport. Thanks for your compliment on my Sport!

Were the installers able to balance the lamps, or can you only do that on the projector type lamps? My Ltd has a different pattern light spray then my Sport. it cuts off on the drivers side, this aids in not blinding oncoming drivers.

Were the installers able to balance the lamps, or can you only do that on the projector type lamps? My Ltd has a different pattern light spray then my Sport. it cuts off on the drivers side, this aids in not blinding oncoming drivers.

They didn't have to balance the lights . They were exactly at the same level of the stock halogens. They fit perfectly. I have been driving around without anyone flashing their head lights at me. They look amazing!!

They didn't have to balance the lights . They were exactly at the same level of the stock halogens. They fit perfectly. I have been driving around without anyone flashing their head lights at me. They look amazing!!
I have met many vehicles with the blue lights which I assume are 8000k and I don't find them distracting because their overall light output (lumens) is less than the 4300k which is what you want if you are looking for brightness. The 8000k do look nice though.
Nice looking Ex.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I just ordered as set from coolbulbs. Can anyone post up a pick of where they put the ballast and how they secured it. I had the hood popped and there seems to be a couple of places where there are already threaded holes for mounting. I'll take some pics to show where I am talking about.

Back