My Sync Upgrade yet? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Sync Upgrade yet?

I agree.

I know everyone has different levels of success and frustration with MFT, but I'd like to state that I don't care if it's Q1 or Q4 when the update comes out. Ford listened to everyone’s complaints and saw there were some issues with their first attempt and is trying to address our concerns with this firmware update. And they are providing it for FREE. Yes it is frustrating if the navigation isn't always the most reliable or if a black reset screen appears when you want to change a temperature or radio station. But Ford is not telling us "Tough, learn to deal with it." They listened to our complaints and are working on getting us a solution. There are many companies that wouldn't do what Ford is doing. There are many companies that would charge users for an update like this or at the very least make the us all go to a dealer for the update instead of sending out hundreds of thousands of thumb drives in the mail.

So while I would love to see the update in my mailbox tomorrow, the fact a fix is on its way is enough to keep me a satisfied customer.

If Ford didn't step up to correct this problem their sales would tumble also they might have a massive law suits on thier hands. When the warranty runs out on our vehicles and need a fix for a faulty, broken MFT I hope you have deep pockets to pay for the fix. Maybe just too much technology?

just saying......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If Ford didn't step up to correct this problem their sales would tumble also they might have a massive law suits on thier hands. When the warranty runs out on our vehicles and need a fix for a faulty, broken MFT I hope you have deep pockets to pay for the fix. Maybe just too much technology?

just saying......

This firmware update is not a warranty covered item! People who do not have extended warranties and have more than 36,000 miles on their Explorer will still get this firmware update. If ford did not send out this free update I seriously doubt there would be a massive lawsuit against Ford because of the technology not performing per all users expectations. If a lawsuit of that type could make it to court, then I'm sure people would have brought lawsuits against Microsoft for their past blunders they called Operating Systems. Speaking of Microsoft, take note that when Microsoft comes out with a new OS, you get to pay $200+ for it and again you are basically a beta testers.

I paid for a Ford Explorer that was advertised heavily that it had MFT, a new look and all the high tech features I wanted that is why I bought it. You can decide what were important reasons to you when you bought it. It would have leveled the playing field more without the MFT and perhaps I would not have given it a second look but I was psyched by the MFT.

People saying this is bunk are just missing the boat and letting these companies screw the consumer, it isn't FREE we paid for it and have withstood months of problems because it sucked out of the box and they rushed it out the door to be first....just sayin.

Please feel free to have your opinion....I have mine.;)

I agree 100%

The MFT system isn't just a multi media system, it runs everything in the car.

The fact that some people think waiting a year to fix something that SHOULD have been fixed before the 2011 went on sale is mind boggling to me.

A few bugs is one thing.

But a system that is completely engineered wrong is unacceptable. A system that completely shuts down without notice, that won't allow HVAC controls to work sometimes, that requires owners to get on their knees and pull fuses is just unacceptable to me.

A few bugs is one thing.

But a system that is completely engineered wrong is unacceptable. A system that completely shuts down without notice, that won't allow HVAC controls to work sometimes, that requires owners to get on their knees and pull fuses is just unacceptable to me.

Amen!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If a lawsuit of that type could make it to court, then I'm sure people would have brought lawsuits against Microsoft for their past blunders they called Operating Systems. Speaking of Microsoft, take note that when Microsoft comes out with a new OS, you get to pay $200+ for it and again you are basically a beta testers.

A better example perhaps would be when Intel made the pentium and it calculated the wrong numbers or was off....there was major talk about lawsuits, they sent me a new chip at the time and it was done pretty quickly after the problem surfaced. With Microsoft stuff you can just go back to the old version, not so with Ford or Intel. You are stuck until the fix comes out.

This firmware update is not a warranty covered item! People who do not have extended warranties and have more than 36,000 miles on their Explorer will still get this firmware update. If ford did not send out this free update I seriously doubt there would be a massive lawsuit against Ford because of the technology not performing per all users expectations. If a lawsuit of that type could make it to court, then I'm sure people would have brought lawsuits against Microsoft for their past blunders they called Operating Systems. Speaking of Microsoft, take note that when Microsoft comes out with a new OS, you get to pay $200+ for it and again you are basically a beta testers.

The firmware update IS a warranty covered item. If they refused to FIX the BROKEN MFT under warranty, they'd be fighting off twice as many lemon law suits as are probably already in arbitration from MFT in it's current state.

As a consumer we have a right to get a product that works as advertised. MFT rebooting on a regular basis, slow, clunky, and unusable is considered a warranty concern, it's not just an update, it's a FIX to a known widespread issue with the system. Ford has fended off a class action lawsuit by announcing the update, had they not, I'm sure there would be federal and state suits filed already. I know our lawyer has taken on 4 or 5 clients related just to MFT failures, I'm not one of those clients, but you're silly if you think that MFT in it's current state isn't a warranty concern.

Your comparison to windows OS isn't relevant. If an operating system doesn't work to your needs, you have options for downgrading to previous version of an OS that are more stable, changing to a different OS, etc. In our vehicles, we can't take back the car because of MFT, and we can't change to a different OS or downgrade it to a more stable one (it doesn't exist). It affects the ability to use the car as advertised, therefor it is a warranty concern, and HAS to be FREE. In fact it's not just a warranty concern, it should be considered a recall campaign and even vehicles out of warranty are covered on it

Everyone has their own opinion and I have stated mine and I hear and understand yours. But software that is run on the MFT hardware is not covered under warranty that I can find in my documents or extended warranty documents that came with the Explorer. This fix sent by Ford is not replacing any hardware that may not be functioning properly. It is a firmware update that fixes how the software responds and how stable it runs on the hardware. Plain and simple.

Using the arguement that you paid $45-$50K for a broken product, eh. If you think you paid for a defective product you still have the option of downgrading to other products that do not relay on the MFT system.
epr13_models_detailflip_AMFMsinglediscCD.jpg

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, we all have different levels of frustration and problems with MFT. But if you are that upset with how your Explorer works and you want to send a real message to Ford... sell your Explorer and buy something else. There is no louder statement you can make than doing that. My opinion is, I am happy Ford is providing a firmware update. I am happy they are not charging us and am glad they are taking their time getting everything fixed instead of rushing a fix (with more bugs) out to the users.

Everyone has their own opinion and I have stated mine and I hear and understand yours. But software that is run on the MFT hardware is not covered under warranty that I can find in my documents or extended warranty documents that came with the Explorer. This fix sent by Ford is not replacing any hardware that may not be functioning properly. It is a firmware update that fixes how the software responds and how stable it runs on the hardware. Plain and simple.

Using the arguement that you paid $45-$50K for a broken product, eh. If you think you paid for a defective product you still have the option of downgrading to other products that do not relay on the MFT system.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, we all have different levels of frustration and problems with MFT. But if you are that upset with how your Explorer works and you want to send a real message to Ford... sell your Explorer and buy something else. There is no louder statement you can make than doing that. My opinion is, I am happy Ford is providing a firmware update. I am happy they are not charging us and am glad they are taking their time getting everything fixed instead of rushing a fix (with more bugs) out to the users.

This is not an opinion. You clearly don't understand what MFT is. MFT isn't a computer with hardware and software. It's an embedded/integrated system. It isn't something you can replace with a "lesser" version after you purchase the vehicle. It's tied to diagnostics, hvac, etc, you can't "downgrade it". You can't tell me to take a 40,000 car and go "sell it" for 30k or less because it doesn't work as it was sold to me. You want me to lose 10,000 dollars because something was sold to me that doesn't work? This is why we have lemon laws, this is why we have warranty, and recalls.

If we owned the hardware, and the software was "optional" then you may have a point, but we don't. The hardware is locked, we can't install our own software on the system. The hardware and software in an embedded system is ONE. You are CLEARLY not concerned with consumer rights.

I don't think you get it....but like you said you are entitled to your opinion. :)

Lets hope it gets fixed. If I am not mistaken the people who originally put this out are no longer with Ford and some new fresh blood was put in place to get it right. I really hope they do.

btw.. in reference to your "If a lawsuit of that type could make it to court, then I'm sure people would have brought lawsuits against Microsoft for their past blunders they called Operating Systems."

You must be forgetting the plethora of personal and class action suits they endured when vista was released, and performed less than advertised on "Vista Ready" hardware

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Vista-Capable-lawsuit-against-Microsoft-now-a-1265319.php

If you advertise something, it must meet the reasonable standards of the promised performance. Otherwise you must allow for full refunds, or FIX the problems within a reasonable amount of time. Given that the MFT in the explorer was released at the end of 2010, this is a particularly long development cycle to correct the problem

These MFT defenders are like the people that blame women of demestic battery for not doing the dishes more often

These MFT defenders are like the people that blame women of demestic battery for not doing the dishes more often
wow! You really don't know how to make a good analogy.

epr13_models_detailflip_AMFMsinglediscCD.jpg

So how exactly do I downgrade to a lower tier version of MFT?

Your attached photograph is of the base model Explorer multimedia/HVAC instrument panel that's not offered in the Explorer Limited.

Suggesting we sell our vehicles for a loss and purchase a lower "Less technically advanced" version of the Explorer (or another brand) is probably the most ignorant suggestion I have seen on this forum.

I bought an Explorer with MFT because Ford said it would be able to perform a specific set of functions. MFT did not perform these functions.

If your driving down the road and MFT goes into a Scheduled Reboot you loose complete functionality, that's not a software update issue that's a design flaw.

Ask the owner who had his young children in the vehicle and it was 100F+ when he lost complete use of MFT. That means no A/C.

Waiting over a year to provide a fix is not a "generous offer" . If Ford would take the vehicle back today and I wouldn't suffer a loss, I would do it.

I'm with you. I got mine on Dec. 30 2010 and am still waiting. I can't understand how they are now making 2013's with the (new and improved ?) version and we are still waiting. I'm sure an arbitration panel would find Ford guilty of not living up to what was promised and advertised to us when purchasing this vehicle.

I have a 2011 ex ltd and i love all about it, i have had my issues with the mft, a pillar, brakes. The a pillar and brakes have been taken care of the mft works great 99% of the time but it could and should be better and it will be better but never perfect and that is to be expected with technology. I think ford should have gone with apple but we know that apple is not easy to convince to join ford or other's, i do feel ford rushed the mft and the explorer to save the explorer from dyeing and they also used us for beta testing, sad right yup but i still stand behind ford for many reasons, and i trust that they will fix the mft. And when we buy first year models this happen most of the times. So maybe via this forum we can all get together and get ford to fix this asap. I don't want to sound double talk but i feel for those who have gone thru hell and back. So lets get some unity and tell ford hey we like your explorer style in and out but fix this mft know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I guess I should have listened to my gut and never posted my original comment that I was happy to receive a free firmware update. What a can of worms I opened. As I've stated, I know we all have had our own troubles and frustration levels with MFT. Perhaps I have been lucky with the few number of times I've had issues. I'm sorry for anyone who has ever had temp issues or lost navigation while in route to a location they are unsure of. I can't imagine how badly that sucks. I've been lucky and only lost things like navigation a few times and other than that its been stuff like phone pairing and music stuff. no big deal to me.

So how exactly do I downgrade to a lower tier version of MFT?
My comment to buy a base model was simply in response to others stating that when they make computer OS upgrades, they can always go back to a lesser version. They would have lost the money invested in the upgrade, but they would go back to a more stable system. Same with the Explorer. It would suck to take a loss on the Explorer, but there are options if someone feels that strongly about it. It sucks waiting, but if Ford can get everything working perfect, I think when it's all said and done it will be worth the wait.

Suggesting we sell our vehicles for a loss and purchase a lower "Less technically advanced" version of the Explorer (or another brand) is probably the most ignorant suggestion I have seen on this forum.
:eek:

Really? Even with this comment on the forum? I need some time to reflect on my life. BTW oakjefferson, I fixed it for ya!
These MFT defenders are like the people that blame women of domestic battery for not doing the dishes more often

OK maybe your right on that one.

Plan and simple america stands for quality products, at it should, this what's wrong with today. Just saying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I guess I should have listened to my gut and never posted my original comment that I was happy to receive a free firmware update. What a can of worms I opened.

It's not that you said you were happy to be getting the update, it's that you implied we should all just be happy to get the "FIX" for free, you basically said we should stop voicing our concerns about MFT regardless of the fact that it doesn't work as advertised.

You made wrong comparisons of an embedded system to a home computer, and misstated that we have a choice about having MFT in our cars when we obviously do not. You can't downgrade it, and selling a car at a massive loss is not comparable to losing your investment into a 200$ operating system from Microsoft. There is no reasonable alternative to using MFT in a broken state where it is at most times infuriating.

You are defending Ford who has for over a year left their customers to just live with a less than advertised system that regardless of how you feel, costs us an upwards of 40k or more. It's an integral part of the car and cannot be exchanged.

Back