• Register Today It's free!

My trans temp gauge...

dirtyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona and Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4dr
This weekend I installed my transmission temp gauge. This is not a write-up but hopefully will inspire some people. After going to every parts store in town at least twice, I decided to go with the Faze temp gauge and pod from Autozone. I have read here that the best place to mount the sender is on the pan so I had a welder braze the brass fitting to the pan. While I was down there I also changed the filter and the fluid. The universal pod didn’t fit whatsoever so I heated it up with a propane camping heater. It ended up fitting pretty good. I think I will try to paint the pod this summer so it matches the other plastic. Another cool thing about the gauge is it lights up with my instrument panel for at night. So far it works really well, the average temp is 170 degrees and that’s with 35" tires and 7.73 gears going uphill at 50 mph! The total cost was around $90 after the filter and the fluid.

Here is the gauge in the pod...

HPIM0982.JPG

The sender in the pan...

HPIM0985.JPG

HPIM0984.JPG

Does anyone know if there is a type of plastic "bondo" I can use to make the pod and the pillar one piece? thx

HPIM0984.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can fiberglass it with some ressin. It is very easy and it doesn't make too much of a mess as long as you pay attension to what you are doing.

fiberglass should do it ....nice job BTW....how much was the guage and such? hows it hook up?

The gauge was $40ish and the pod was $25. I was worried about the wiring but it wasnt to bad. The gauge needed switched power (so I wired it into the same circut as the radio) and the illumination I wired into my dash's illumitaion circut. (I tied in all the wires into the fuse panel under the dash) Then the sender just had one wire from it to the back of the gauge. I hope that made sense?!? lol. Took me around 3 hours not inlcuding the welding

You can fiberglass it with some ressin. It is very easy and it doesn't make too much of a mess as long as you pay attension to what you are doing.

So the resin sticks to the plastic? do I have to prep it at all?

So the resin sticks to the plastic? do I have to prep it at all?

It should just stick to it after a thurough cleaning. If you are worried about it the you could scuff it up a bit then it will really stick.:D

This weekend I installed my transmission temp gauge. This is not a write-up but hopefully will inspire some people. After going to every parts store in town at least twice, I decided to go with the Faze temp gauge and pod from Autozone. I have read here that the best place to mount the sender is on the pan so I had a welder braze the brass fitting to the pan. While I was down there I also changed the filter and the fluid. The universal pod didn’t fit whatsoever so I heated it up with a propane camping heater. It ended up fitting pretty good. I think I will try to paint the pod this summer so it matches the other plastic. Another cool thing about the gauge is it lights up with my instrument panel for at night. So far it works really well, the average temp is 170 degrees and that’s with 35" tires and 7.73 gears going uphill at 50 mph! The total cost was around $90 after the filter and the fluid.

Here is the gauge in the pod...

HPIM0982.jpg

The sender in the pan...

HPIM0985.jpg

HPIM0984.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a type of plastic "bondo" I can use to make the pod and the pillar one piece? thx

What pod did you use?

I can't tell from the pic, but that looks like it might be the autometer one..

autometer 15308 is the dual gauge pod and autometer 15309 is the single gauge pod.

Summit page for the single one..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-15309/applications

The application only lists down to 1993, but 1991-1994 is the same a-pilar.

~Mark

Back