My transfer case cracked like an egg! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My transfer case cracked like an egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
I went under the pug shuttle this morning after 3 days of Vegas rain. It's going rain later tonight and tomorrow. My case is leaking and all the electronics are wet with oil. I cleaned it down globs of white silicon covering case cracking about 25% of the bottom and front nose cone area. My factory manual says the case is magnesium. Has anyone had a case welded. I've been looking on line bone yards want $1,200-1,500. And limited Dana 28 are around. If the case is bad can the front drive shaft be pulled and I drive it in rwd mode. Explorer transfer cases are less could I bolt in an explorer case. And how would the computer work. Or do I look for an explorer 2speed manual case. I don't have $1,500 now. I need options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Filled to max

I just put 2 qt & pt. so it was bone dry almost empty is 4.4 pints so I just made it I'm surprised it did not seized. Anyone with some answers 11 of your read my post.

Yer out of my league or I'd help. Magnesium welding sounds like pretty touchy stuff. I'd hafta find a replacement somewhere. Lots of scrapyards around.....check em all within a 500 mile radius. don-ohio :)^)

Magnesium burns with the right heat.

You might be able to TIG weld and ear back on but joining 2 parts together is next to impossible.

I use to be a welder 30 years ago did a lot of tig for the navy. But magnesium a strange duck. Back in the 70/80 eather sabb or Volvo had magnesium cases and the amount was dangerous. When a car cought Fire the engine block burned like a flair. When I google the crackes about the case an article said ford had almost 100% recall on transfer cases and that's the reason for the extra brace to prevent any future problems.

WW II Japanese Zero Fighter was magnesium frame.

When it was hit with a tracer round is would do the same thing.

When they hit the water the salt water would dissolve them in no time.

You can find one at a junkyard. How much does the part weigh that you need? do-ohio :)^)

Um I just checked ebay.com and two are in stock. One for about $450.00 or so and it's brand new. Check for Ford Aerostar AWD...As for fixing it, just step away from the T case and a welder please....T-case + welder = flame and fire....Just as the sailors from the U.S.S. Forrestal aka the forest fire found out that it's not a good idea to activate a flare in the flare locker. Nor without a lot of skill should you try to weld magnesium... I know most flares have a lot more magnesium but this stuff will burn underwater.

Thank I did eBay in Nevada I'll do USA. I would have to skim coat with jb weld. My concern it's leaking between the case. Someone used white silicon had to be the wrong type because the cracks that are covered are soft and gummie. Who ever cracked the case used a pry bar big groves between the gasket. And some of the gasket is hanging out of the bottom were the seal should have been. I found a master rebuild kit on line for $250. i don't want to lay out good money to find out the case will still leak. I'm going to go to a tranny shop tomorrow to get a price from them. The manual says once the gasket is replaced reseal the case with an ascid resident white silicon but it says this must be put together in less than 2 minutes. Can the case be separated with out special tools. For $50. They sell a reseal gasket and front rear seal kit.
Thanks for all the help. My drive shaft is aluminum in the rear why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back