My Truck and my plans...

my80chevette

Reaction score
City, State
Zanesville Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
7b9ve6

Hello all!! Well bought a 4wd 2001 Explorer XLS last January as a replacement for my 2wd 1997 Ranger that is pushing 303K miles. The Explorer worked fine for a month or so but started having issues with the four wheel drive not disengaging on dry roads. I ended up parking it until this spring after which I removed the front drive shaft so I could get it back on the road. The Explorer runs and drives great but I still have to work out its issues.
My plans for the Explorer are to make it a sort of Road Warrior.... I want it to handle, accelerate and stop with a lot of nicer looking and more expensive cars. I'm getting into the planning stages right now but would like some input from those who have gone before me. My thinking is handling, braking then engine work. Here's my list:

1. Get the nose outta the air. I think I only really need about an 1- 1 and a half inch drop in the front. Any shops in the Ohio area that do lowering well?
2. Shocks. What ones should I be looking at for a well controlled ride?
3. Wheels/tires. I have the factory 15inch aluminum wheels but not sure what the weight on those are or what the max width tire they can hold. I would like a larger/wider wheel to help increase the track width and provide a more aggressive look but don't want to increase the weight. Any ideas on offset and size?
4. Brakes. Looked at factory size slotted rotors and better pads but not sure what bigger rotors or more powerful calipers might be out there that would fit this. Anyone with an upgrade route using factory or aftermarket parts?
5. Motor mods. I'm not really looking to open the engine up any time soon but I think a tuner, better injectors, filter/intake, and maybe a progressive nitrous system. Brands, experiences???
6. Misc. Would love to get rid of the factory column shifter and put in a floor model but not sure if any would work with the five speed auto. Maybe Mustang shifter?

I will be keeping the looks ratty as it is for the most part but a few subtle changes wouldn't be out of the question.
Any opinions and links to info appreciated!!

any updates about your ride? have you started upgrading the suspension?

Back