My Truck is finally trail worthy... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Truck is finally trail worthy...

Gopher

Reaction score
City, State
Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 2wd
On tuesday i'm taking it in and having 4.10's and an auburn pro diffie installed. I'm so stoked..now i'm ready to back out to truckhaven and be the driver instead of the driven. I'm curious to see how much i'm capeable(if i could spell) to do with only 2wd. THis is why i'm in college too...lol :p
Keep you posted..

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Brian, Pretty cool! Is that a locker?
We should get a trip together, when the weather ever gets better! Yucca valley is nice off the summer season too!
Later!
Wil

------------------
"Don't go where the road don't go." -Ringo Starr

Wil - '92 EB

Brian,

You'll like the Auburn. The Pro model does provide more bias than my standard model, which should provide you with great traction.

Don't know if you'd be interested, but a little trick to get the Auburn to lock up even harder is to NOT add the friction modifier to the gear oil. The additive's only purpose is to make the L/S quiet. I've been assured by the engineers at Auburn and by my own experience that you won't hurt anything by just running straight gear oil. I've put about 30K miles on mine and have had troublefree performance. Without the additive, the Auburn will occasionally creak and groan after running on the highway and then doing turns in a parking lot, but you get used to it. It's caused by the heat buildup in the diff, and the noise is the friction cones fighting to stay engaged.

Running straight gear lube is better on the gears also.

So if you'd like more bite out of your Auburn, and don't mind a little occasional noise, try using it without the additive. I think this is one of the reasons my rig does real well offroad. If you don't like it this way, you can always add it later.

Have fun with your new setup, I know you'll like it.

roadkill,

An Auburn is a limited slip, not a locker.

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift
"Downhill is just uphill in the opposite direction"

Dogman,
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm going to wait on changing the fluid. The place where i'm having this done said to make the auburn last, change the fluid once a year or 10-12000 miles. When i do that i'll change to the regular fluid. Dead Link Removed . I'm debating if i should change the girdle while i'm back in there too? Have any input on this? IF i dont do it now, i'm eventually going to do it. Thanks for the help Dogman. Think i'm gonna try and work on MOAB. See if i can make it back there.

Wil (aka:Roadkill),
Just need to find a convienent time to go. Have any ideas on a time? Think my dad will take out our 80' toyota 4x4 out there too. I know I know..its a To@!@$*%&$ta. Just have him park off in BFE :p We'll see what we can do Wil. Hey..also have you seen the thing for Baja? Trying to get a little grouo together for a run down there. Feel like a kid in a candy shop..hehe

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around

Hey Guy's:
been following this cause I'm in the market for a lmtd.-slip as well,but I am a little confused about the different brands out there. I was told from west cost diff. that an auburn could not be rebuilt,and that eaton was the one I should get,also that the auburn pro was not for street (city) driving,
that it was meant for the drag strip,then I called up Randy's ring & pinion,and he told me the same thing. can anyone give me some feedback.

Billy

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,auto
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

Bill, I have an Auburn Pro differential in my Mustang and have never had any problems driving it on the street. It is true as far as I know that the Auburn cannot be rebuilt, but I have driven it very hard and it still works perfectly. Traction isn't a problem and I plan on installing one in my Navajo someday. As far as the Eaton unit, I didn't think that they made any differentials for ford vehicles and as I understand it, the Eaton is very similar to the Auburn in design. I do way more street driving than drag racing with my mustang and the Auburn differentiates smoothly and quietly, but when the power is on, it's as tight as a drum. I hope this info helps you.

charlie

------------------
Charlie May
1992 Navajo LX 4x4

Back