My truck vibrates | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My truck vibrates

james5272

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer
Hello,

I have a 91 Ford Explorer (totally unmodified). Between the speeds of 40km/h and 70km/h, my truck develops a nasty vibration that causes EVERYTHING to shake. The wheel, the seats, my body, the mirrors... EVERYTHING! I am a newbie to mechanics, does anyone have any ideas on this? If it's something that can be fixed, how hard is it? About how much would it cost to get someone to do it for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Do a search using the tool at the top of the page. There is lots of info here for this type of problem. There are multiple things that could be causing this, wheel balance, loose/worn wheel bearings, etc.

Mike

Or it could be the normal 55mph shake most 91-94 Explorer's have. And as such may not be fixable. But yeah search it's been covered.

Does it shake or is it more of a vibration? Does it do it when you're on the gas, or when you let off the gas or slightly let off the gas and coast. Or is it the same regardless?
Could be read driveshaft u-joints starting to get sloppy. If it does it regardless of coasting vs on the gas and doesn't get smooth again at higher speeds, then could be tire out of balance or other things as mentioned above.
I'm have a vibration problem - I'm going to post a question on rear driveshaft u-joints so maybe check it out if that's your problem.

Ball joints or bearings. Either way, jack up the front one tire at a time, then see / wiggle tire to look for play. If it moves when you push / pull with hands at 10 & 2, or 4 & 6 stick your head in the wheel housing. Push / pull again with head behind tire. You might see the upper & lower ball joint wiggling a bit. If so there is the issue. If not, then it's bearings.

And bearings are another issue.

On a side note.... have you inspected the drive shaft u-joints? I'm assuming your in 2 wd so just check the one from the tranny to rear.
Walter

mine did same thing between speeds of 50 and 75 i changed the u joints and it stopped.you want to fix that soon cause mine was into the driveline had to replace it.you can take the driveline out your self then take it in to a shop to have the u joints pressed out and in

have you recently had your tires changed or anything? wheel balances may have fallen off or maybe they were never put on?

Check the u-joints, bearings, brakes, driveshafts, tranny, tires, wheels, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, RA busings, body mounts, springs & shocks. All that can cause shakes. But if it's like mine, none of that will fix it. I went through all of that & still the entire truck shakes at 55-65mph.
I've drove 3 94's that shook as well, but my old 94 sport I used to have did not shake 1 bit.:dunno:

I had a shake that started at 60mph. The RA bushing were replaced and now the shake begins at 70mph. I just avoid the highway since I don't do much driving anyways. Although now that I think about it, I get the same feeling shake (not as noticeable though) at lower speeds.

Get your wheels balanced. Most times, that's the cause of speed-sensitive vibrations.

Another tire problem is seperated belts. I had a nasty shake at the same speed range. Seperated belts was the culprit. Try swapping the front for rear tires to see if it goes away.

New Guy with the same old shake

Hello All,
I'm new to the sight and posting for the first time. I too have a stock 94 XLT that shakes like mad at 65 mph. All front end parts are tight, Ujoints replaced on rear drive shaft, tires rebalanced (twice), and recently replaced shocks. I'd appreciate any help with this before it drives me crazy.

When they took off the driveshaft, did they mark it as to ensure it went back on in the same position? They're specifically balanced (with little weights on the shaft)....if it went on in a different position, it could possibly cause a vibration.

If the shop re-balanced the drive shaft, it would not matter which way you put it back on.

Thanks for the tip with the driveshaft balance. I didn't do the U-joints myself so I don't know if the shaft was marked when taken out. I'm not against dropping the shaft again to send it for rebalancing if it will help.

Back