• Register Today It's free!

My truck wont start....help

LUVMYTRUCK28

Reaction score
City, State
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT V8 5.0 AWD
I have a '97 that wont start. I have tried to boost it, the battery is good. When i turn the key once all the power comes on and when i proceed to turn it over it just clicks once. Im lost without my truck. Can anyone help thanks

if it's a single click without dimming the lights, that's the sound of the starter solenoid engaging and you may have a bad starter motor, if it's repeated clicking or a single click but your lights dim, you have a bad connection at the battery or the battery ground or the pos. to the starter, starter solenoid or starter relay or a bad starter relay. Try jumping the starter relay, if it starts, that's the problem.

if it's a single click without dimming the lights, that's the sound of the starter solenoid engaging and you may have a bad starter motor, if it's repeated clicking or a single click but your lights dim, you have a bad connection at the battery or the battery ground or the pos. To the starter, starter solenoid or starter relay or a bad starter relay. Try jumping the starter relay, if it starts, that's the problem.
when i try to turn it over it just clicks once and the power dies. But there is full power just before you turn it over(or try to). My neighbor tried takin a screw driver and touching the solenoid and there was power(the one at the top). The tow truck guy tried hittin the starter with a hammer and nothin.

This sounds like the same problem I had. It could be as simple as a relay, just switch a relay around and see if your truck starts.

Back