MY TRUSTY 2002 Explorer Sport has been vandalized. Need some help patching her up please... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MY TRUSTY 2002 Explorer Sport has been vandalized. Need some help patching her up please...

howster01

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 2WD
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I posted here. I've been traveling for the past several years for work and now finally back home for a bit. Yesterday I found my beloved 2002 Sport torn and tattered by some obvious punk who tried to steal her away from me. For some reason he was unsuccessful, most obviously because she was still parked where I put her last, but also because there was blood and an igniton cylinder that he was unsuccessful at removing completely.

So a quarter window, PAT sensor, shrouds, and a new ignition cylinder will need to be replaced. Thing is the ignition cylinder will not accept the key because it is totally destroyed. There are metal fragments I am unable to removed and the slot where the key would go is bent and mangled. I was able to straighten it out some, but not enough to get the key inside so I could remove the cylinder the correct way. So I need some help.

I called a locksmith and they quoted me $375 without even knowing what needs to be done. So I am nixing that idea for now. So does anyone have any experience with removing an ignition cylinder without a key, and where the cylinder doesn't turn? I can push the pin in but because the key cannot be inserted it won't come out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've owned this girl from new and she's taken me across the country numerous times, towed things she should have towed, and has been there for us for over 162,000 hard miles. She is not the prettiest thing on the road, but she knows she is cared for, so I talk nice to her and take very good care of her inerds. I would love to keep her going for a few more years so any help would be awesome. Thanks for the assistance and everyone stay safe out there.

Cheers,

Howster01

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For some reason he was unsuccessful,

He was not successful because it's impossible to bypass PATS. You'd need 2 new keys and a programming computer to reprogram it from scratch (about a 30 minute process) to steal a vehicle with PATS.

As for repairs, if no comprehensive insurance I would look at salvage yards for parts. Did you file a police report? If they catch the guy the judge can order they pay for the damages. The ignition cylinder will need to come from the ford dealer or locksmith so that it's keyed to your existing key. A locksmith might be able to open it up and clean it out to salvage it.

He was not successful because it's impossible to bypass PATS. You'd need 2 new keys and a programming computer to reprogram it from scratch (about a 30 minute process) to steal a vehicle with PATS.

As for repairs, if no comprehensive insurance I would look at salvage yards for parts. Did you file a police report? If they catch the guy the judge can order they pay for the damages. The ignition cylinder will need to come from the ford dealer or locksmith so that it's keyed to your existing key. A locksmith might be able to open it up and clean it out to salvage it.
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. So my Explorer does not have coded key, at least that's what Ford says. I purchased a new ignitions cylinder and a new PATS sensor, along with the other pieces needed like side glass, etc.

I drilled the damaged cylinder out because I couldn't get a key inside. I installed new PATS sensor and everything cones, but it won't turn over or start. I even tried the trick I saw on YouTube where you secure the OEM key to the old PATS sensor and use the new key, but that didn't change anything. The Theft light still blinks.

I'll give Ford a call tomorrow to see what I can do next. This POS who broke in really messed me up. I've owned this girl since new and she is always reliable. Any other info now that I have the parts installed would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

If you did not have a PATS key then you would not have a PATS sensor...

All these vehicles came standard with PATS systems which includes the chip key except for very few specific FLEET models.

You need to use your original keys or it will not start, that is why the new ignition cyl has to be keyed to your existing keys.

If your new key contains a chip also that will keep your old key from working if taped to the PATS ring. If the new key has the PATS chip it might be easier to just program the new key to the vehicle rather than get a cyl keyed to your old key.

To do this without a ForScan programmer you will need BOTH original keys, A FLAT NON-CHIP COPY OF THE NEW KEY, and the new chip keys.

Hold the old key against the flat chipless key and try to start it, it should start. That confirms everything is working.

Now to program;

Hold the 1st old key against the flat chipless key and turn the ignition on, then back off.
Immediately switch to the 2nd old key against the flat chipless key and turn the ignition on the back off
Now immediatly insert the new chip key by itself and turn the ignition key on. This will add the new chip key to the PATS system.

Don't forget to replace your door lock to use the same key as the ignition.

All these vehicles came standard with PATS systems which includes the chip key except for very few specific FLEET models.

You need to use your original keys or it will not start, that is why the new ignition cyl has to be keyed to your existing keys.

If your new key contains a chip also that will keep your old key from working if taped to the PATS ring. If the new key has the PATS chip it might be easier to just program the new key to the vehicle rather than get a cyl keyed to your old key.

To do this without a ForScan programmer you will need BOTH original keys, A FLAT NON-CHIP COPY OF THE NEW KEY, and the new chip keys.

Hold the old key against the flat chipless key and try to start it, it should start. That confirms everything is working.

Now to program;

Hold the 1st old key against the flat chipless key and turn the ignition on, then back off.
Immediately switch to the 2nd old key against the flat chipless key and turn the ignition on the back off
Now immediatly insert the new chip key by itself and turn the ignition key on. This will add the new chip key to the PATS system.

Hello again and thanks for the ery helpful input.
So the nw cylinder I purchased does not have the coded keys. They are just plain keys was told by Ford the keys weren't coded. It was not expensive but still not free.

The original cylinder was trashed so I had to drill it out. Therefore the tabs inside were destroyed so there was no way to attempt to copy that to another cylinder. What I had tried to do was secure the original key to the old PATS sensor and start the vehicle with the new non coded key. Thing is the thief damaged the original PATS sensor so maybe that is why it wouldn't start.

I am going to remove the new PATS sensor and let it hang so I can attach the original key to it. Then I'll try and start it with the new key. I'll see where that gets me.

If that works then I need to get a cylinder that can be rekeyed but how do I get the old key and new cylinder mated without spending a ton of money at Ford? Even locksmiths are charging tons of money.

Any suggestions would be great. I appreciate your assistance. One other thing I could do is order an ignition cylinder with transponder keys and try your suggestion to see if they mate. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Howie

Now to program;

Howdy. So some good news. I removed the new PATS sensor and just connected it so it hangs. I ziptied one of the original keys on it and started it with the new uncoded key and it worked. So now I am moving it to the back so I can replace the broken window and clean up the mess. Now I just need to figure out who can rekey a new ignition cylinder as I ntonordernone that has all of the pieces. Any ideas would be swell. Thanks again for your help. Maybe if I get a cylindernwith coded keys I can do as you suggested. I just don't have all of the tools needed.

I’d fix your pats by purchasing the correct type of keys, or it will actually get stolen next time.

I’d fix your pats by purchasing the correct type of keys, or it will actually get stolen next time.
Oh yeah. I'm definitely not leaving it like this. I just wantet know the best way to get a cylinder that can be keyed to my original key. The vehicle won't be parked on the street again until this is fixed. Plus have the cameras and alarms set up now. Thanks again.

Exactly.

Just order some blanks off ebay, have the flat key copied to them. Then do the programming procedure I described earlier.

If you get factory keys, and have a factory PATSkey you can swap the radio chip from one key to another. Or, have a competent locksmith match the new cylinder to the original key.

Exactly.

Just order some blanks off ebay, have the flat key copied to them. Then do the programming procedure I described earlier.

So by doing this I don't need to have a cylinder matched to my original key? Buy blank Chip keys and program them to the new cylinder? I like that idea much better. I will give that a shot and report back.

I appreciate all of the assistance. Stay safe.
If you get factory keys, and have a factory PATSkey you can swap the radio chip from one key to another. Or, have a competent locksmith match the new cylinder to the original key.
I'm going to order te keys from ebay, the H92PT and attempt to program as previously mentioned. Cheers to TechGuru and Mbrooks420. Much appreciated.

So by doing this I don't need to have a cylinder matched to my original key? Buy blank Chip keys and program them to the new cylinder? I like that idea much better. I will give that a shot and report back.

I appreciate all of the assistance. Stay safe.

I'm going to order te keys from ebay, the H92PT and attempt to program as previously mentioned. Cheers to TechGuru and Mbrooks420. Much appreciated.
Hello all.

So today I received two replacement blank Ford keys and had them cut to match the two non chip keys that came with the ignition cylinder.

I came home and followed the programming procedure that came with the blanks, however after several attempts it did not work. So I went with the procedure TechGuru gave to me and it worked on both new blanks. So now I'm back in biluisnessnand just need to order door lock cylinders. I appreciate your help sirs and am very happy to get her back on the road.

Stay safe and many huge thanks for sticking with me on this.

Exactly.

Hello to all. So a few months ago my Trusty 2002 Explorer Sport was vandalized. With the help of a few good folks I ordered some key blanks as well as ignition stuff, window and other required items to get her back on the road. So far she is back to normal.

I did have two instances where she wouldn't start and the theft light was glaring at me. I played around for a few minutes and she finally started. Once I was away from home but I finally was able to get her to start. I have no idea what happened but am a little hesitant letting my wife drive it until I get it sorted out. The theft module was purchased at Ford but since it's been a few months I doubt they will do anything about it. Just not sure. If anyone has any ideas I'm all eyes.

I also decided I'm going to fix her up and get her painted, have some new black wheels installed, new carpet, front seats redone, new headlamps, etc. Any ideas or tips would be swell. I've had her since new and she is my go-to vehicle. I was even thinking about some kind of bar on the front with some nice lights. Also new side steps but since they are discontinued by Ford I need to find something that will easily replace the OEM ones.

Again any ideas on the intermittent starting issue would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all of the help before. Thanks TechGuru as well.

Cheers

side steps- can be found at local JY, texas doesn treally have rust to my knowledge :D ;)
the rest shouldnt be hard, when you pull the carpet, i installed sound deadening in mine, it made it a bit quieter, but thats up to you! theres plenty of brush guards on sites like ebay for these. check your local JY, these pop up every now and then! does it crank, or not?

Thanks. We will do it a few steps at a time. Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Howdy all. So I have ordered new side steps, headlamps. Carpet set getting ordered this weekend.om ordering from Stock Interiors.com. Has anyone had any experience with them soni can go elsewhere if they aren't the place to go?

i would also like to replace the plastic door trim pieces as well as some of the other exterior trim pieces. Can anyone suggest a good place to purchase those types of pieces?

Still looking at the wheel situation as mine have 163,000+ miles of oxidation and road wear. I don't want expensive or gaudy wheels, but they do need to be black. I went to get a paint quote today with Maaco as I think they will be the least expensive. They have good reviews here so but I will get one more quote just to have something to compare it with.

I won't get the OEM color as I wanted a matte paint, but instead I'll get something without the metallic finish. I'm looking at Bilstein shocks but not sure about the wheels yet. I would like to have as much black trim as I can but I don't want to paint the d stuff or plasti-dip or any of that. I'm sure aftermarket is the only way to go now as I'm sure Ford doesn't make this stuff anymore, and besides it would be expensive as hell.

i just wanted to do an update and see what others may have done to their Explorer, and to pick some brains on parts. Everyone have a nice and safe holiday and thanks in advance for the assistance.

Cheers,

Howie

havent used that site, but for plasitc pieces usually I go to my local JY, 99% of this stuff doesnt exist new anyways, so may as well pick the best on at my JY, and if need be i paint em. and let us know how the wheels go! look for a maaco thats doing a resto, usualy have better luck with those than dont, sometimes it can be a hit or miss

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually ordered the Rancho adjustable shocks and they were very reasonable compared to other sellers. I've read very good things about them and that they do last a very long time.

I'm still looking for a black wheel and body trim. Thank you.

Back