My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD.... | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD....

I just wanted to show off my DIY remote build. The truck is an AWD 2000 5.0 Explorer. - I like to think of it as an AWD SUV Mustang:) This truck actually was lifted with tube bumpers, safari rack, and 32" ATs on 20" wheels just a few months ago- it has undergone a big transformation here lately. It is now lowered slightly in the front with the rear at stock height(with sagging springs). I kept the same wheels but put smaller tires on them and added 2" spacers. Now onto the turbo...

The Turbo is a T04E 57trim which turned out to be perfect for remote mounting. It is a little small if one wanted 10psi+, but I planned on 6psi max and fast spool. I am using the stock exhaust with muffler delete to the turbo, then a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. In the tailpipe is my AEM wideband o2 sensor. For charge pipe, I bought a 2" mandrel bent intercooler kit along with some 2" pipe from my local muffler shop. For couplers, I am using cut pieces of 2" ID radiator hose. It can be bought from Advance Auto pretty cheaply- I got one piece that was a large 90 for $13 and had some left over. I just cut it into the desired length with a bandsaw. The charge pipe goes to a 2" to 2.5" steel adapter, then into a 2.5" to 3" silicone coupler from AutoZone. This coupler feeds into my 3" BOV adapter then into the 3" mandrel bend aluminum pipe leading into the engine bay. I brought the 3" down pretty far to try and eliminate turbulence in the MAF.

I am using an STS oil pump to return the oil back to the oil filler neck. I got the pump from an STS dealer who upgraded a customers car to their high volume pump. I am using the nipple that originally had the vent hose to the intake for the oil return fitting- I am using a vented push in oil cap to make up for it. It was alot easier this way than tapping the oil cap like STS does.

I haven't had it tuned yet but it will break the tires loose from a rolling start in 1st gear(remember, I am AWD), and I have full boost almost immediately. I already have a 6psi spring for the wastegate that will go in when I put on the 30lb injectors and Cobra fuel pump.

Here are the pictures and it you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 8,990
  • IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 8,128
  • IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 8,116
  • IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 11,900

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

HAD... ;)

I swapped to return to support maximum horsepower.

True and for your application I would highly recommend it. I was just making a comparison. Rocket...Good to hear from you!

True and for your application I would highly recommend it. I was just making a comparison. Rocket...Good to hear from you!

Yeah I figured, I just am happy because I finally got it all done and into the tuning phase.

I ordered my fuel pump today- I went with the GT40 supercar pump. It was actually only $100 from my local dealership. I could find it cheaper other places, but after shipping I would have paid the same..

So, I just have to get a warm day so I can drop the tank, and get the injectors and MAF installed. Then comes tuning!

I ordered my fuel pump today- I went with the GT40 supercar pump. It was actually only $100 from my local dealership. I could find it cheaper other places, but after shipping I would have paid the same..

So, I just have to get a warm day so I can drop the tank, and get the injectors and MAF installed. Then comes tuning!

Dang Justin. Good job. You just might put a whooping on rocket! hehehe. Just kidding rocket.

Dang Justin. Good job. You just might put a whooping on rocket! hehehe. Just kidding rocket.

With that AWD I can guarantee he will put a whooping on me for at least the first 30 feet. :D

With that AWD I can guarantee he will put a whooping on me for at least the first 30 feet. :D

Its going to be hard for you to keep from spinning considering how fast boost comes with that twin-screw. Are you going to run slicks?

Are you going to run slicks?

Either slicks or at the very least ET Streets. I should not spin much if I can drive well enough to stick the launch. I don't suspect I will have too much a problem with that.

Yeah, but you don't want to feather-foot off the line. I want to see that thing pop-a-wheelie!!!

the only reason I talk crap is because I'm the slowest.

Yeah, but you don't want to feather-foot off the line. I want to see that thing pop-a-wheelie!!!

With ET's or slicks I definately will not be feathering it much off the line. Good luck on the wheelie. I might pull the front left tire with a dead hook but even that is very doubtful. Now late 08 season I will be pulling something off the ground. :D

Either way... Back on topic.

With ET's or slicks I definately will not be feathering it much off the line. Good luck on the wheelie. I might pull the front left tire with a dead hook but even that is very doubtful. Now late 08 season I will be pulling something off the ground. :D

Either way... Back on topic.

Yeah, back on topic. It sucks having A.D.D.

Any updates ?

Not much- I bought another turbo to experiment with. It is a little smaller than the one on the truck now. The turbo on now is capable of 600+hp, and my new one is good for about 475WHP. It is smaller and will spool alot quicker. I moved into a new apartment and dont really have a place to work on the truck anymore- so it is just sitting until I can find a place to tear into it.

I have all of my parts,I just need to get them in the truck. I need to swap MAF's, injectors, and my fuel pump.

Not much- I bought another turbo to experiment with. It is a little smaller than the one on the truck now. The turbo on now is capable of 600+hp, and my new one is good for about 475WHP. It is smaller and will spool alot quicker. I moved into a new apartment and dont really have a place to work on the truck anymore- so it is just sitting until I can find a place to tear into it.

I have all of my parts,I just need to get them in the truck. I need to swap MAF's, injectors, and my fuel pump.

What injectors, MAF, and fuel pump are you going with now?

So I knw this is an old thread but I didn't want to open. A new thread for one simple question. I was wondering if one could use electrical conduit which is galvanized instead of exhaust tube as the charge pipe leaving the Turbo to the intake

Could you...probably.

But if you are going to cheap out on this portion of the build, what else are you going to cut corners on?

Ryan

Everything really. I'm by no means a rich man. So the Turbo will be a used hx35 and all the couplers will be new. As well as the oil return pump. I said electrical conduit because of the galvanizing. May last longer than exhaust tubing. That's the only key point to use the conduit.

Back