My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD.... | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD....

I just wanted to show off my DIY remote build. The truck is an AWD 2000 5.0 Explorer. - I like to think of it as an AWD SUV Mustang:) This truck actually was lifted with tube bumpers, safari rack, and 32" ATs on 20" wheels just a few months ago- it has undergone a big transformation here lately. It is now lowered slightly in the front with the rear at stock height(with sagging springs). I kept the same wheels but put smaller tires on them and added 2" spacers. Now onto the turbo...

The Turbo is a T04E 57trim which turned out to be perfect for remote mounting. It is a little small if one wanted 10psi+, but I planned on 6psi max and fast spool. I am using the stock exhaust with muffler delete to the turbo, then a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. In the tailpipe is my AEM wideband o2 sensor. For charge pipe, I bought a 2" mandrel bent intercooler kit along with some 2" pipe from my local muffler shop. For couplers, I am using cut pieces of 2" ID radiator hose. It can be bought from Advance Auto pretty cheaply- I got one piece that was a large 90 for $13 and had some left over. I just cut it into the desired length with a bandsaw. The charge pipe goes to a 2" to 2.5" steel adapter, then into a 2.5" to 3" silicone coupler from AutoZone. This coupler feeds into my 3" BOV adapter then into the 3" mandrel bend aluminum pipe leading into the engine bay. I brought the 3" down pretty far to try and eliminate turbulence in the MAF.

I am using an STS oil pump to return the oil back to the oil filler neck. I got the pump from an STS dealer who upgraded a customers car to their high volume pump. I am using the nipple that originally had the vent hose to the intake for the oil return fitting- I am using a vented push in oil cap to make up for it. It was alot easier this way than tapping the oil cap like STS does.

I haven't had it tuned yet but it will break the tires loose from a rolling start in 1st gear(remember, I am AWD), and I have full boost almost immediately. I already have a 6psi spring for the wastegate that will go in when I put on the 30lb injectors and Cobra fuel pump.

Here are the pictures and it you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 8,990
  • IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 8,128
  • IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 8,116
  • IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 11,900

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything really. I'm by no means a rich man. So the Turbo will be a used hx35 and all the couplers will be new. As well as the oil return pump. I said electrical conduit because of the galvanizing. May last longer than exhaust tubing. That's the only key point to use the conduit.

It'll work but I don't think you'll find good mandrel bends with conduit.

They sell pretty cheap aluminum pipe made for this on Ebay. Just search for intercooler piping and bingo.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

thanks for the input guys

i would say there are ways of doing things real cheap and still making power. just don't ghetto rig it to much, i have seen plenty of people use stock exhaust pipe from the junk yard to make there turbo kit, but i would use new pipe to run the cold side.

...if you won't buy the good stuff...you probably won't pay to have it tuned, and you will just end up blowing the motor.

Ryan

Galvanized pipe releases toxic fumes when it is heated- I wouldnt recommend using. Although I did use one piece in my setup because I had it and it was the perfect angle.

And since this is my thread, I have an update. My truck is currently in the shop having the headers installed. I sold the black wheels, and I am probably about to order some ADR M Classis in 20x8.5.

Galvanized pipe releases toxic fumes when it is heated- I wouldnt recommend using.

Ding ding we have a winner. I was hoping someone else would chime in on that. The fumes are odorless and can cause lifelong damage. I used un-galvanized ( bare sheet) for the inner walls of my oven for just this reason.

Although, you can blast off the coating and powder-coat the bare metal. ;)

But he’s talking about the cold side. He's not talking about the exhaust side that heats up.

But I'm with you guys. I wouldn't use conduit for the cold side pipe simply because you can get aluminum mandrel bends for a good price. Also, aluminum is lighter. (not a big difference but in theory)

Justin - Why in the world are you having a shop install your headers? Are you getting lazy on us?

Justin - Why in the world are you having a shop install your headers? Are you getting lazy on us?

I just have too many other projects and I am not driving it because of the exhaust leak.

This is how it looks right now...

DSC01435Large.jpg

And behind it is this....

STA71224Medium.jpg

And I am also building this....

DSC01389Large.jpg

And this, getting ready for summer.

DSC01411Large.jpg

wow that truck is crazy thatsa a huge ass turbo

Justin - I understand what you're saying completely and these other projects are the reason you haven’t seen anything new from me.

But you will…

...if you won't buy the good stuff...you probably won't pay to have it tuned, and you will just end up blowing the motor.

Ryan

Yeah your probably right. I won't call Henson tuning for an sct tuner or I probably wont go to si performance and have it dyno tuned because I'm using electrical conduit. Are you a detective? Nice assumption there Ryan

The problem is that tuning is expensive and can cost a 1000 when done after buying tuner and getting dyno time with paying tuner thing really add up. If you go true eBay junk yard cheap then most won't get it tunned.

The problem is that tuning is expensive and can cost a 1000 when done after buying tuner and getting dyno time with paying tuner thing really add up. If you go true eBay junk yard cheap then most won't get it tunned.

Considering my father is a diesel tech for freightliner and a person who does in house dyno tuning for freightliners I understand the importance of tuning
While some might opt out of tuning to save a few i actually want to spend money in this portion of the build. Plus I believe I will be shunned by my father If I was arrogant enough not to tune a n/a motor after Turbo or supercharging one. But thank you for your concerns.

Justin, congrats on the fun projects. It's good to have several things going on in your life, take it easy.

Hey in was not saying you won't tune it. I was simply pointing out what alot people do it because in is the last part of the build. Hey I am a tuner and I feel bad charging for my own labor. Make sure you get with your runner before you finish the build to make sure the mass air and setup is done right. Nothing worse then tuner who say your mass air and setup is back wards and won't tune it.

Hello everyone... new here... New explorer owner... I actually bought Justin's XLT yesterday... So... Hopefully I can keep her chugging along :D

What?????

Justin sold the X?

WOW!

Good to have you here....

Ryan

Haha, yeah he did.. Got tired of it and moved on to new projects and what not :D

I have a 2003 SVTf zx3 and now the X..

Getting some of the kinks worked out now... all new fluids, plugs, etc... Going to replace all the tubing and couplers for the most part, and fix the PCV valve that went out it seems... Pukes some oil out of the vent... and need to get the exhaust manifold removed (couple broken bolts) and the headers put on to stop the exhaust leak...

Thanks for having me!

Welcome, and keep that truck running, we like it.

That's the plan! It was nice meeting him and I will try to keep up the good X tradition on this one!

Actually blew a coupler off the IC today on my way to work, lol.

Going to place an order for all new aluminized piping from after the pipe after the MAF and all new couplers and bands and what not this weekend and try to get the X into a good local shop to get my mani off and put on the FMS headers that Justin gave me and then run a new exhaust to the turbo...

He recommended something like 2.5" off the headers to a Y pipe 3" back to the turbo... Should I go straight or throw in a muffler and/or resonator somewhere? Suggestions?

Also, what coolant do you guys recommend on the X, I looked over the coolant tech article and they didn't mention a preference... The stuff in it now is OLD and rusty from sitting so long, going to clear it out this weekend when I do the oil/plugs/wires... and try to find a new PCV so she stops puking! lol.

Thanks!

Back