• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

my v8 is starting to sound like a diesel

Pemerling

Reaction score
City, State
Boston MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT V8
my 98 v8 has about 122000 miles on it.. the engine lately has started to sound like a diesel. its also been very cold up here in vermont and have noticed it more recently. ive been meaning to change the spark plugs.. the last time they were done was at 70000 miles... any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CougarX

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT

Pemerling

Reaction score
City, State
Boston MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT V8
under load a little bit but its consistent with the rpm s

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Time for some headers! Sound like a passenger side exhaust manifold leak??

Jake's Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, AWD 5.0 302
I was thinking headers, too. Does the sound get any quiter as the engine gets hot?? Sometimes just bolting down the headers can be the fix.

Just me .02 cents.

JD