My very brand new Explorer... already hit!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My very brand new Explorer... already hit!!

stormborn_girl

Reaction score
I have to vent here because I am soooooooo upset. I had placed an order in late September for my bronze with pecan 301A limited, received it a week ago, and some old man who should NOT be driving, ran into it as he "parallel" parked next to me - he didn't even know his mammoth Cadillac had hit my car. I was in a store, glanced out the window, saw the rear of his car 1 inch from mine and knew in an instant that I was doomed. I am so depressed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to vent here because I am soooooooo upset. I had placed an order in late September for my bronze with pecan 301A limited, received it a week ago, and some old man who should NOT be driving, ran into it as he "parallel" parked next to me - he didn't even know his mammoth Cadillac had hit my car. I was in a store, glanced out the window, saw the rear of his car 1 inch from mine and knew in an instant that I was doomed. I am so depressed.

Ouch.

Yeah - if you aren't aware enough to realize you have hit something you probably shouldn't be on the road.

Was probably two stepping the gas and brake. Sorry to hear that.

So sorry to hear that!

I had my Limited six weeks before an 18 year old kid plowed into the back of it. $10k in damage. They had to cut out the floor pan and weld a new one in. Good thing I leased it! It was in the shop for 7 weeks!

Now I just hope the 2013/14 has a heated steering wheel!

So sorry to hear that!

I had my Limited six weeks before an 18 year old kid plowed into the back of it. $10k in damage. They had to cut out the floor pan and weld a new one in. Good thing I leased it! It was in the shop for 7 weeks!

Now I just hope the 2013/14 has a heated steering wheel!

3 months old, Hit in rear, $7k and 6 weeks

A buck came crashing into my car last week on a busy interstate, while I was going about 60 mph.
I was lucky that nobody got hurt and walked away with "only" $3300 in damages.

Sorry to hear about the old guy running into you :( it's unreal that so many of these elderly, incapable drivers get to remain on the road.

As for that painted bumper and trim on your ex, that looks amazing Baxter! Congrats on that. Wonder if I could find a local shop to do it in the price range.

Yeah - if you aren't aware enough to realize you have hit something you probably shouldn't be on the road.
I was driving in suburban traffic a couple weeks ago around lunchtime (Noon-ish) and a Taurus was in the curb-lane just sitting as if stalled. A Dairy or other food semi truck had made a wide turn out of a business after the lady had passed the establishment. Anyway, she claims he clipped her when he was finishing his turn. Ironically, he was about 1 1/2 inches form her car, but there wasn't any damage. I pulled into a nearby business while the trucker was standing by his rig, and the lady was still in the driver seat "zoned". I left the business and traffic could only get around using the turn lane, so I called the police. I could hear in the background the dispatcher relaying the message, "Woman claims semi hit her". How do you not know? Could you hit such a big bump that you think you were struck?

That sucks, very sorry to hear that.

My wife just messed up mine yesterday. took a corner in a parking garage too sharp and scraped and dented rear passenger door.

One thing about the old guy in a the Cadillac, if it is a pre-1978 - I have driven those and to be honest they are tanks, and depending on speed could be hard to tell you hit something.

I work with old people and most of the ones I know have done pretty well knowing when it is time to quit driving.

The old folks tend to annoy me driving super slow holding up traffic, but here in LA I think I prefer them to the teenage girl who can't stay in her lane because she is texting.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

3 months old, Hit in rear, $7k and 6 weeks

Ours was about 6 weeks old and was rear ended - 1900 miles. About 7K in damage and 10 days in the shop.

They did cut out and replace the floor. That part was about $2500 IIRC and about 20 hours in labor. The original estimate called for pounding out the well - the body shop no way on a new car. They also replaced the exhaust from the cat back.

The car that hit it went right under and crushed the spare tire well. I had hoped the bumper underneath was damaged so I could've upgraded to the tow bumper at little cost but alas, it didn't happen. But the bodyshop did put the tow bumper cover on so if I decide to upgrade, it'll be ready.

I'm curious as to how everyone is making out with their insurance in regards to paying for the repairs. My auto body shop told me that my insurance company will most likely only pay for after-market parts. If I want OEM, I'll have to pay the additional myself. I'm still waiting on my insurance company to inspect the damage though.

Every time I buy a new vehicle I always think about someone running into it. I had an encounter a couple of months ago that was hard for me to believe it really happened.

I was returning home after completing a couple of errands and was traveling down a busy street. There was a vehicle ahead of me that turned onto the street I was turning on. I followed it around the turn and the driver slammed on her brakes and came to a stop. There was no reason to stop where she did so I thought maybe the driver was sick, etc. I was just about ready to get out of my ex and check when she put her vehicle in reverse and started backing up. I had to check my rear view mirror to make sure I didn't have someone behind me before I backed up. She hit me before I could even move. The damage was limited to my front license plate holder and my dealer's body shop fixed it for "no charge". I asked the driver and her navigator husband what the h___ they were doing. They were visiting yard sales and took the wrong turn. They were senior citizens and so am I.

Every time I buy a new vehicle I always think about someone running into it. I had an encounter a couple of months ago that was hard for me to believe it really happened.

I was returning home after completing a couple of errands and was traveling down a busy street. There was a vehicle ahead of me that turned onto the street I was turning on. I followed it around the turn and the driver slammed on her brakes and came to a stop. There was no reason to stop where she did so I thought maybe the driver was sick, etc. I was just about ready to get out of my ex and check when she put her vehicle in reverse and started backing up. I had to check my rear view mirror to make sure I didn't have someone behind me before I backed up. She hit me before I could even move. The damage was limited to my front license plate holder and my dealer's body shop fixed it for "no charge". I asked the driver and her navigator husband what the h___ they were doing. They were visiting yard sales and took the wrong turn. They were senior citizens and so am I.

WOW! What a bunch of old turds!

I'm curious as to how everyone is making out with their insurance in regards to paying for the repairs. My auto body shop told me that my insurance company will most likely only pay for after-market parts. If I want OEM, I'll have to pay the additional myself. I'm still waiting on my insurance company to inspect the damage though.

Depending on your policy, it may require the use of recycled or aftermarket parts. Here in MA, OEM parts are required for the first 20,000 miles. After that, they can use aftermarket parts.

Often aftermarket parts are not available for newer vehicles or can be shown to be of inferior quality. A good body shop has relationships with the adjustors and can get things approved because of that relationship.

All OEM parts for mine. No aftermarket available. Thank goodness. Floor pan only had a small dent that they pounded out nicely. Did have to replace entire rear lift gate, bumper, tow hitch, the stuff between the bumper and floor pan, and some reverse sensors.

State Farm got in a lot of trouble for demanding and then, I believe, falsifying that non-OEM parts were actually placed into customer vehicle's after an accident. I don't see how a company can get away with putting non-OEM parts back in, but we had a situation with my wife's Ford Edge a couple years ago when we leased and she was T-boned by a guy in an Infiniti who ran a red light. Anyway, the damage was a crease where the driver's door meets the front side panel, so when the door is opened and closed there is a crunch. Also, the wheel was nicked (and required replacement), and the estimate was for a new OEM door and side panel, but a used wheel/tire combo. I went to a local Ford dealer (not the dealer we got the vehicle from) and asked if that was legal to replace her wheel with a used one. The gentleman I spoke with said, "Absolutely. They might not have access to a new wheel. Remember, you're vehicle already has 17,000 miles, or whatever, and the insurance obligation is to replace with like equivalent, so some parts are allowed to be used". He was nice, and he had a legitimate point in this case. We received a brand new side panel and door (which needed painting since we have the burnt orange color). Who knows where the wheel came from -- maybe inventory at a dealer, maybe brand new from the factory. Never thought about it before, and the shop we dealt with has had our business before. Thankfully, everything worked out, and we ended-up buying out our lease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back