My weekend project.. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My weekend project..

Originally posted by tdavis
Thanks guys! It's been a long 18 months to get it to this point, where I can now just hit trails and not worry about tearing tires/fenders and other crap.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is where I'm gonna have to go too, for the same reasons. On 31's, I had no body/tire interference issues. Now that I'm on 32's with more offset, my tires occasionally hit the body. Next time I go wheeling, I'm probably gonna mark the spots as I hit 'em and try to figure out how to improve the fit. Bump stops and Dr. Sawzall come to mind :). I wanna keep it road legal, so I can't go quite as far as you did....

Tom, are you running teraflex shackles (or something similar), and if yes, did they add any lift?? That may also be a way for me to get better clearance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JDraper
Tom, are you running teraflex shackles (or something similar), and if yes, did they add any lift?? That may also be a way for me to get better clearance.

I am running a shackle reversal kit on the front, and YJ springs on all four corners. The front YJ's are from Alcan; they are 5 leaf, military wrap, center pin offset 2.5". The rear are combo YJ's, built up from a 4 leaf and 5 leaf pack for 6 leafs.

It is also SPOA, 1985 toy front axle, ARB, 5.29 gears, allpro spacers, and a 1987 IFS rear, high pinion electric locker, 5.29 gears.

Mine's currently SPOA, on stock springs and axles, with Rocky Road spacers, a 4.16:1 Xfer case regear and rear Powertrax. I've been looking at doing the YJ spring conversion, but just haven't gotten there yet.

tom.. refer to this pic..

Attachments

• tube-drivers[1].jpg
    tube-drivers[1].jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 241

Jason, that area is almost un-repairable. It's about the one part you want to see no damage (rust or dents) in.

Took this picture tonight of the zuk, almost ready for Moab2004, The Wedding.. I'm in the process of moving the two radios (2m and CB) up into the cage, and adding a dome light (found one for a jeep, that attaches to the cage..)

Attachments

• zuk-moab.jpg
    zuk-moab.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 254

Tom,

That thing is awesome, you did a great job. I really like the new front end and cage.

Moab2004, The Wedding

Hahahaha Starring Gerald Garret as "THE HERC!"

Coming to a theater near you! They will be lined up around the block!

Zuki looks AWESOME! See you next week!

Back