My weekend project.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My weekend project..

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 225:1!!!!!!!!!

couldn't you walk up a hill faster than that???

Yes, you can. The zuk will idle in gear, and I've walked alongside it, just adding input to the steering wheel.

It's all about applying torque to traction.. By going so slow, I have the ability to apply massive amounts of torque to the traction I have.

I also never worry about a burnt clutch, or bouncing off stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is just too unbelievable! I can see some instances where you may need to get on the pedal to get over something and avoid a slow offcamber situation.

Well I guess if you have such low gearing you can get over just about anything and not need to goose the pedal. WOW!

Originally posted by tdavis
By going so slow, I have the ability to apply massive amounts of torque to the traction I have.
clappy.gif

Sorry Tom, but the idea of an engine producing 76ft-lbs somehow converting that to "massive amounts" just makes me laugh!! All props to your rig!! 225:1 is just friggin nuts!

Update!

Ok, so I'm slloooooooooowww..

cage-10-10-2003.jpg

Just the hoops, and some spacers done.

I hope to finish the upper half on saturday, and start on the seat mounts.

Looks like you have a good start though :D

Yea, that front hoop is a royal PITA.

It's got to turn down AND in.

It took 4 tries to get it right. Try #2 is the rear hoop now. :D

Didn't get much done on it over the weekend, too busy doing other crap..

But I did get this done in a couple of hours tonight

cage-passenger-1.jpg

and

cage-passenger-2.jpg

Another update..

Still more work to do (two more spreaders for the front half of the cage, two more spreaders for the rear half, another spreader for seat belt mounts, tabs are on order for seat belt mounts.

But it's getting there:

cage-seat-1.jpg

cage-seat-2.jpg

Lookin' good Tom:thumbsup:

Looks good Tom! I gotta do that to my Zuk one of these days.......

John, a cage in a zuk is very important thing to have. :D

There are several good vendors for cages - no, not me. rockrat's and dave sport cages look pretty good, and they are reasonable.

So I got even more done today:

tube-drivers.jpg

tube-passenger.jpg

Also removed the old shock hoops, pulled the steering box and started the prep for moving the front axle forward using my Alcan YJ's with 2.5" offset.

Nice sheetmetal trim!!! Are you putting the lights back on, or is it no longer street legal?

I have new dune buggy style headlights to install. (one of those "detail" things..)

Update!

Well, got it running:

thaven-flex.jpg

Tried to play "Get the Orange Pumpkin" stuck game with it, and almost won. (got a 2nd place prize - rear driver's tail light) :D

Sweet looking. And coming in 2nd to the Orange pumpkin is no Boobey prize.

Damn that winch looks huge on that thing. It's probably more powerful than the engine :D

Looks good Tom! Now my Zuk has a "big brother" to look up to! :D

Thanks guys! It's been a long 18 months to get it to this point, where I can now just hit trails and not worry about tearing tires/fenders and other crap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one word:

*****IN

Back