My X on 265/75/16 BFG's

Rammer24

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, Saskatchewan,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681705

Love the tires. I want to go get into some mud but they look so good I dont want to get them dirty. LOL

2681705_1_full.jpg

2681705_2_full.jpg

2681705_3_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks awesome. Can't wait to get mine...

Thanks. So far they have seen some dirt but no mud. Go figure we get a shat load of rain and lots of mud. I buy the tires and barely any rain. Little bit of a drizzle or it rains at night and by morning dry. LOL It has to rain sooner or later. But for now I'll just have it look'n good.

looks great... just added some 32s myself and i couldnt love it more

2456765_46_full.jpg

btw did u change the springs on ur front suspension? the front of urs seems awfully high for stock... i changed my front two and thats wut it looks like^... the front is high and i love the look and urs looks quite similar

Nope I haven't touched the springs thats stock. I will be changing my corners tonight when I get home from work. I got the clear corners in the mail today just before I left for work. When I get them on I'll get more pics up.

Nope I haven't touched the springs thats stock. I will be changing my corners tonight when I get home from work. I got the clear corners in the mail today just before I left for work. When I get them on I'll get more pics up.

hmmm... must have just been my eyes then... well thats cool too dude.. i wanted some corners but i just dont feel like paying unneccessary money... i mean, itd be cool but its not a need... post pics though... i wanna check it out

Well I have the clear corners on but I didnt have time to take the photos. I will have them on here by tomorrow.

Rammer24, I just got a screw in the side wall of the tires my X came with. Now, I need at least 1 new tire. I was thinking of buying 4 Yokahoma AT/Ss as I hate the cheap goodyears it came with. My question is have you noticed any bad wear with your 265/75R16? If it does were does it wear? The salesman was very reluctant to sell me that size for my 2003XLS.

would those tires fit on my 2005? I really like them but I thought that they might be to big and rub when I turned or hit a bump

I have only had them for about 3 weeks. I haven't noticed any wearing issues. I finally noticed that when fully turned I had a bit of rubbing on the plastic liner. A couple of zipp ties fixed that problem. No more rubbing that I can hear. I haven't noticed any rubbing when hitting bumps either. All salesmen I talked to tried to tell me that they will not fit. BUT THEY DON'T KNOW SHAT. lol I would think that regular rotating will make sure proper wearing.

Rammer24, I just got a screw in the side wall of the tires my X came with. Now, I need at least 1 new tire. I was thinking of buying 4 Yokahoma AT/Ss as I hate the cheap goodyears it came with. My question is have you noticed any bad wear with your 265/75R16? If it does were does it wear? The salesman was very reluctant to sell me that size for my 2003XLS.

the salespeople r retarded... the reason theyre so relunctant is all about liability issues... if something messes up, they dont want it traced back to them... the 32s will wear like any regular tire... just keep them rotated back to front and front to back to get as much life out of them as u can

I don't know why all of the tire shops want to tell us that a 265-75 won't fit. I went looking for some tires the other day and the guy told me that a 255-70 would rub every time I hit a bump or turned. I told him " No they won't, go check out Explorerforum.com you'll see guys running tires up to a 265-75 with no problems at all." He then informed me that he had been in the tire business working at this shop for over 5 years so he KNEW what would and would not fit on my Explorer. I then told him to go to HECK cause I've been working on cars all my life!!!!! I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway sorry bout the ranting. Your tires look great! Let us know if they rub when you off-road. If you can flex it out and see if you can make them rub. If you can't then that's the size I want to go with.

Yankee............OVER AND OUT:salute:

I don't know why all of the tire shops want to tell us that a 265-75 won't fit. I went looking for some tires the other day and the guy told me that a 255-70 would rub every time I hit a bump or turned. I told him " No they won't, go check out Explorerforum.com you'll see guys running tires up to a 265-75 with no problems at all." He then informed me that he had been in the tire business working at this shop for over 5 years so he KNEW what would and would not fit on my Explorer. I then told him to go to HECK cause I've been working on cars all my life!!!!! I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway sorry bout the ranting. Your tires look great! Let us know if they rub when you off-road. If you can flex it out and see if you can make them rub. If you can't then that's the size I want to go with.

Yankee............OVER AND OUT:salute:

i agree man, retarded tire shops... i did some decent offroading this past weekend... just a little riding in some sand and such... no rubbing at all when the wheel is completely cut so im thinking thats not too big of an issue

Took the Plunge

Well I took the plunge and got the tires I wanted. :D This is the first investment of many to improving the looks and functionality of my X.
Library - 3821.jpg

Defiantly needs a running board or fender flairs to protect from the stones the new tires pick up.:eek:
Library - 3825.jpg

Not much room in there.:confused:
Library - 3826.jpg

Quick question. Has any one with 265/75R16's tried towing anything? Is there any rub? Also does the that tire fit in the X's storage area?

Good call on the BFG's. they look real good. i put some on my 02 after Christmas and i love them. Sam's club told me the same thing about them not fitting, so i got someone i knew to put them on. anyways, i love it. looks great.

the salespeople r retarded... the reason theyre so relunctant is all about liability issues... if something messes up, they dont want it traced back to them... the 32s will wear like any regular tire... just keep them rotated back to front and front to back to get as much life out of them as u can

In the manual says that getting bigger tires will cause issues in the transmission..., is that true or it's just to save their ... from the previous model reputation??, I just paid 1000 Can$ to replace the solenoid body!!. And what about the speedometer?? does it cause a big impact on that??

Your speedometer will be out a few clicks at low sped and more like 6 at 100km+. I plan on getting the truck programmed in the next few months so the speedometer will be back to normal after that. As for the Tranny I noticed it shifts a bit later but it seems to be jsut fine. the shift points can be tweaked with the programmer and I'm told it can actually set the tranny up to work better and last longer than stock. I'm no pro at that so I can 't say for sure but thats what I was told by a guy here that has been chipping/programming cars and trucks for many many years.

In the manual says that getting bigger tires will cause issues in the transmission..., is that true or it's just to save their ... from the previous model reputation??, I just paid 1000 Can$ to replace the solenoid body!!. And what about the speedometer?? does it cause a big impact on that??

it will have a small eeffect on ur shifting points since ur vehicle is covering more ground with a full rotation with a bigger tire... ull only be off a bit when u get into bigger numbers... idk if ur in a metric area, so idk if i could tell u how far ud be off in kmph... if ur used to mph, its about 2 or 3 off at 70... that has to be mentioned or the people who give u the bigger tires would be liable for ANY transmission problem because there r people out there who would take something like that to court... ur transmission will only get the usual wear and tear, nothing extra

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, guys!! and what happened with the extreme off road on that size?? Some pictures would be great!! No rub at all with solid parts??

Regards,

Back