• Register Today It's free!

My X sounds like a 747

Abominous95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Salem MA or Troy NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
No this is not a good thing. I am not happy but my X has all of sudden started sounding like an airplane. It happens when im just cruising on the road. It stops as soon as i stop moving. I have checked the differentials and its not that and all my tires are fine. im going to check the transfer case buts raining right now. Im sure to most of you this sounds crazy but maybe someone has had the same problems and knows what it is. Until then I will be in a holding patern waiting for final clearence.

Thanks

Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL.

So it's a high pitch whine?

sorry i cant help but that is one of the funniest ways of describing a truck noise that i have seen..

LOL...

Kyle, did you put a jet engine in your X?? haha...I was kidding. Could it be the axle boots??

Check this out.

Yeah, I know it's a Chevy S-10, but I'm willing to forget that with this truck. It sounds kinda like a jet too.

Dead Link Removed

so what exactly does it sound like. i know you said like a 747. do you just mean it's loud?

bad bearings or brakes

Re: Check this out.

Originally posted by DocVijay
Yeah, I know it's a Chevy S-10, but I'm willing to forget that with this truck. It sounds kinda like a jet too.

Dead Link Removed

In the first second I just saw the Cherokee with the flames behind it, and I was like, "Damn!" :D

ever seen those in real life.... standing behind one (at a safe distance) at night? those things are loud and fast.... one guy did a licensing run and didnt go full throttle and ran a 3-4 second (i forgot) 1/4 mile at 305 mph !!!!!!

Originally posted by jimabena74
one guy did a licensing run and didnt go full throttle and ran a 3-4 second (i forgot) 1/4 mile at 305 mph !!!!!!

I want, I want :D :D

I had a wine on mine when it would accelerate and decelerate and it was part of the 4wd system omewhere. the dealer fixed it before i would even consider the truck. It just sounds like really loud rumbling like on a cement road or somethin?

actually, my autohubs sounded like that when they were not properly disengaged and i was driving on the pavement......

Its very hard to describe. It happens once I stop accelerating and just cruise. It isnt VERY loud but my girlfriend can here and she can never hear the wierd sound of the week my truck makes. It just sounds like your sitting in a 747 that is cruising along. Im betting its drivetrain.

By the way, last night, went to check the transfercase. Pulled the wrong plug simultaniously emptied 3/4 the fluid into my driveway and threw the rachet into my eye. I thought I was fine till the blood started dripping into my eye. I got a nice shiner this mornin and huge scab where my eyebrow should be... SO if your workin on your transfercase remember there are two holes. The TOP one Fills it, the Bottom one Empties it...

I'm thinking it's either your IAC valve, PCV valve, or a gear or something in your tranny. Try cleaning your IAC and replace your PCV and tell us what happens.

Back