My X was keyed today | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My X was keyed today

Yes, it's said but true. My 2002 X was keyed today. Happened while my wife, son and I were eating at a McDonalds. I am frick'n pissed!!! The ******* who did this better thank God that I did not see/catch him doing it!! Anyway, I know nothing about getting paint/bodywork done (have never owned a new car before) and thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion; What should I expect to pay to get this damage repaired? The scratch is approx 24" long on left rear quarterpanel. I know that rates will vary depending on where you live, but some type of dollar amount (estimate) will prepare me better when I set out on getting estimates this weekend. Thanks for your help.

http://members.cardomain.com/scotts1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a bumper cover! Nothing more than plastic. Goes for the XLT/Limited's as well...plastic. That is how the Explorer's are made. The actual bumper (steel) is under the cover. When plastic parts are painted a flex agent is added to keep the paint from cracking/spiderwebing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....almost forgot, the bumper cover I mentioned does come in black...probably some type of primer or something. The cover will need to be painted.

i don't get it. so it would go over my xls bumper??

No. Your XLS cover would come off and the new one bolts on. I have a 2002 Explorer CD-rom repair manual and looked it up. There are approx 6-8 screws holding on the cover (sides) and 4 clips on the top that pop off when the cover is lifted up and off. Also I have taken apart the front end on mine (inner fenderwells & flares) and is just like the manual said. The mounts for your steel inner bumper and brackets are the same as a XLT.

that's what i was thinking because i looked at that before. i think i'll order one when i get a chance

Steps for removing the front bumper cover (right out of the tech manual):

1. Remove the inner fender front cover screws.

2. Remove lower splash shield.

3. Remove the upper bumper cover inner screws and nuts (repeat on opposite side).

4. Remove the lower front cover center support screws.

5. Rotate the bottom of the bumper cover upward.

6. Apply downward pressure on the top of the front bumper cover to release the 4 retaining tabs.

7. Remove front bumper cover.

Hope this helps.

Back