• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

MyFord Touch iPhone 4 Pictures

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. I just installed the new MyTouch software upgrade that has come out in recent weeks.

Everything seems to working fine though the profile pictures don't appear on video screen when calling or receiving phone calls through my iPhone 4. The pictures do display on my iPhone but not on the vehicle screen.

Is there a setting that I need to change to make that happen or could it be an unsupported feature on the iPhone? Or...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Welcome to the forum!

It has been my observation, here and with several internet searches about this topic, that very few phones support the phonebook picture feature. I'm pretty sure the iPhones fall under that category.

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
iphone does not support that feature or messaging via MFT

spitfisher

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Does the android software? I getting rid of my iPhone - long story

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Depends on the phone, lol. :)

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Feedback

With the info you provided I did a fair amount of web investigation on the problem and found that it relates to the iPhone. It became clear to me that iPhone does not support the technology Ford is using to transfer this sort of data to the MyFord Touch System.

It sounds like the industry standard technology for this sort of thing is something called Message Access Profile (MAP). And that is the technology MyFord Touch runs on.

Apple at this point in time has chosen not to support MAP as part of its operating system. So contact pictures on iPhones will not be transferred to the MyFord Touch system until they do. Or maybe comment should be if they do. The iPhone also won't interface with any other devices built on MAP.

To be honest I am not surprised. I have found many industry standard applications Apple chooses to not include in their operating system. The well known one is they don't support Flash in the web browser on the iPhone.

It is not that the phone couldn't do it...it is that Apple doesn't want it to do it. Why? Because they feel it is not a good technology for them. Which I find really frustrating given that 29% of Internet websites have some form of flash applications implemented on their websites.

That is only the big example. I have run into the same sort of thing in other areas as well. Android here I come!

Thanks for the info you provided.

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
ezridermn said:
Why? Because they feel it is not a good technology for them..
Translated...Jobs got into a P'ing contest with Adobe and put the mark of death on them...not to mention the control aspect of not allowing Flash. W1kedz will be along shortly to tell you what crap Flash is.....

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
translated...jobs got into a p'ing contest with adobe and put the mark of death on them...not to mention the control aspect of not allowing flash. W1kedz will be along shortly to tell you what crap flash is.....
lol :D

Rocketfan

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
With the info you provided I did a fair amount of web investigation on the problem and found that it relates to the iPhone. It became clear to me that iPhone does not support the technology Ford is using to transfer this sort of data to the MyFord Touch System.
I don't know whose fault it is (Ford, Apple, Microsoft), but I just wish Ford would be honest and say that its MFT features are NOT compatible with one of the most popular smart phones in the market. Ford knows that MFT will appeal to this kind of consumer (techies or people willing to overpay for the Apple brand) and providing charts in websites and brochures that check off all manner of iPhones (3GS, 4, 4S) as being compatible with MFT's feature sets is misleading (a term some advertising execs may confuse with the term marketing).

Ford can even blame Apple saying that because Apple does not support the industry standard MAP (or whatever), certain features such as bluetooth audio, USB audio, ____, may not work in accordance with the specifications and features.

lexrid

Reaction score
City, State
Holly Springs, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
It is not that the phone couldn't do it...it is that Apple doesn't want it to do it. Why? Because they feel it is not a good technology for them.
It could also be because Adobe products are constantly riddled with security holes. Eliminating Flash also eliminates a gigantic vulnerability for exploits. I prefer PC over Mac any day, but there's something to be said for security.

GeekLegion

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited Explorer 301
I'm not a fan of Apple nor do I dislike them - but I think Apple was right on Flash.

Adobe (who makes Flash) has even decided to discontinue the product for mobile devices.

Do a quick search on "Flash no longer supported" for an interesting read.

There are companies who do not allow Flash to be installed on their workstations, although they are getting more difficult to find.

Slimhaven

Reaction score
City, State
Lansdale, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
IPhone 4 pictures

Has anybody tried jailbreaking the iphone to see if that would then connect?

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
Has anybody tried jailbreaking the iphone to see if that would then connect?
Rooting an iPhone will not add MAP capability. It is a feature that will not work with Apple devices.

Slimhaven

Reaction score
City, State
Lansdale, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
It was a thought hopefully someday they will all play nice together

Rooting an iPhone will not add MAP capability. It is a feature that will not work with Apple devices.
;)It was a thought hopefully someday they will all play nice together;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B MyFord Touch help fix 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
R Factory MyFord Touch OEM GPS Navigation Upgrade Kit 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 11
R MyFord Touch Suggestion (IVT Team) 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
gdecamp MyFord Touch Gets Better Voice Control 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 19
G MyFord Touch: Some Questions about hardware Directed at Ford's IVT team. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
L 2013 myford touch voice recognition does not work with ANY contacts from my iphone4s 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 19
K MyFord Touch (Canada VS USA) 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 11
1 Nav-Tv MyFord Touch VIM module 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 11
P Playlists on USB - myford touch 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 22
B MFT - MyFord Touch Update received at home 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 61
M MFT - MyFord Touch performance update 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 9
D I Selected Advanced for the MFT - MyFord Touch Voice Command Menu Setting 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
P MFT - MyFord Touch Sync2 First Poblem 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 15
B *OFFICIAL* MFT - MyFord Touch v2 Software Bugs and Fixes Thread 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 166
2 Freshly Installed MyFord Touch - MFT Performance Upgrade 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 45
D *OFFICIAL* I Received My MFT - MyFord Touch Software Thread. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 126
1 MyFord Touch, MyLincoln Touch upgrades shipping this week 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
F A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 859
C Just got this email: Update your MyFord Touch. Get the latest software today. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
B MyFord Touch Upgrade Inbound 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 83
C I've had it with MyFord Touch. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 15
S MyFord Touch Screen Blacked Out/Audio Off. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 9
B How to put MFT - MyFord Touch into diagnostics mode 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 57
K 1,100 Miles and MyFord Touch Already Dead 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 81
E MyFord Sync compatible phones 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
B Navigation Standard on MyFord / SYNC? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 27
S Adding One Touch to rear windows 2018 Explorer Sport? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
BobbyMarks THIS IS LIKE BEATING A DEAD HORSE, but any info regarding any updates on My Ford Touch? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
J Touch screen not responding 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 10
1 HELP! Capacitive Touch Sensor / FCIM 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
N MY ford touch black screen again! 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
K Touch screen intermittently not responsive and backup camera issues 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
T MFT Screen touch points unusable 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 9
N My Ford Touch - 3 little quirks... is it fixable? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 24
V Adding Nav to My touch what is needed? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 10
L 2015 My Ford Touch latest Sync software? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
H Updating SYNC/My Ford Touch with a Droid or Iphone 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
V Touch screen not selecting what I am trying to select 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 12
W No touch screen beep 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
M My Ford Touch Problems- Software Update 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 13
B My Ford Touch 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
W Difference between 2011, 2012, 2013 My Touch/Sync systems 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
S MFT have no Touch 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
M Touch Screen Beeps 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
B My Ford Touch 2014 Sport 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 8
S U.S. driver safety group sues Ford over touch-screen systems 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 72
D Good Review of the Ford Touch System 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
K Ford Sync (Not My Touch) verison 3.1.1 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
E My Ford Touch 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 22
jcerrion My Ford Touch - Rebuild PDF- Very detailed 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 54