Mykey feature disappeared | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mykey feature disappeared

Post number 29 has been selected as best answered.

WickidMook

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer and I recently noticed that my Mykey settings, options and menu have completely disappeared. I have tried both keys incase I somehow got my admin key mixed up. My biggest issue with it suddenly not working is that now I cant go over 80mph, something I had set for my 2nd key only but now it doesnt matter which key i use. I went to a local dealership and they also determined that Mykey has disappeared and the only help they could offer would cost me over a hundred dollars and no guarantee that Mykey would come back. (I think they said they would try reprogramming?) However I am not willing to spend over a hundred dollars for a possible not guaranteed fix. They claimed they had never heard of Mykey disappearing. I had read similar stories online about Ford Edges after installing a new battery, I did first notice issues about the same time I had to jump my battery almost daily just prior to replacing battery. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread into our Stock 2011+ subforum where the right folks should see it.

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer and I recently noticed that my Mykey settings, options and menu have completely disappeared. I have tried both keys incase I somehow got my admin key mixed up. My biggest issue with it suddenly not working is that now I cant go over 80mph, something I had set for my 2nd key only but now it doesnt matter which key i use. I went to a local dealership and they also determined that Mykey has disappeared and the only help they could offer would cost me over a hundred dollars and no guarantee that Mykey would come back. (I think they said they would try reprogramming?) However I am not willing to spend over a hundred dollars for a possible not guaranteed fix. They claimed they had never heard of Mykey disappearing. I had read similar stories online about Ford Edges after installing a new battery, I did first notice issues about the same time I had to jump my battery almost daily just prior to replacing battery. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanx!

Do you have the "keyless" key (intelligent access) or standard key that you have to turn to get the car on? If you are using an IA key then you need to make sure that the other is outside the car, otherwise it will confuse the two.

You buy new? Get two keys?

Sounds like your admin key has been programmed to be a MyKey now. MyKey menu usually shows when you are using a admin key. I would think with it being gone the vehicle sees the key in the ignition as a Mykey.

Only way to fix this would be to either erase all keys and reprogram or program new key and use that to erase the mykey configuration.

BTW the dealer can scan the car and see how many admin keys/ mykeys are set before they do anything.

Also, you can program a 3rd key using the steps in your owners manual (starts at page 86). I don't see anything about the two keys required to program the 3rd having mykey or not.

I would think this would program the 3rd as an admin and then you can use that to clear the other two.

Also, take a look at this:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/15769-can-find-my-keys-option-in-settings/

Do you have the "keyless" key (intelligent access) or standard key that you have to turn to get the car on? If you are using an IA key then you need to make sure that the other is outside the car, otherwise it will confuse the two.

You buy new? Get two keys?

Sounds like your admin key has been programmed to be a MyKey now. MyKey menu usually shows when you are using a admin key. I would think with it being gone the vehicle sees the key in the ignition as a Mykey.

Only way to fix this would be to either erase all keys and reprogram or program new key and use that to erase the mykey configuration.

BTW the dealer can scan the car and see how many admin keys/ mykeys are set before they do anything.

Also, you can program a 3rd key using the steps in your owners manual (starts at page 86). I don't see anything about the two keys required to program the 3rd having mykey or not.

I would think this would program the 3rd as an admin and then you can use that to clear the other two.

Also, take a look at this:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/15769-can-find-my-keys-option-in-settings/

Thanks! I did buy my Explorer new with 2 standard keys and had both setup with different restrictions. However the menu option for Mykey does not show up at all anymore with either key. Im thinking i should try a different dealership since the one I went to today seemed more confused then me! I will check out that link in the mean time

My 2013 Explorer Sport has reciently lost the "MyKey" function in the cluster. The top speed of my explorer has aslo been locked at 80 MPH. I had no way of changing that myself due to the "MyKey" function no appearing in the cluster. I have search for a way to fix this problem myself and everything I have tried has not worked. So my Explorer is at the dealer that I bought it from, the service department is looking into the problem. They have told me that they have never seen this before and need my explorer all day. On a side note, they told me that my Explorer's speed is limited to 93 MPH anyway. I know this isn't true because I've had my Sport upto 120 MPH on long country roads. I have not modified my Sport in any way. Just currios to know if anybody else out there has had these same issues, if you have had these issues, did you resolve it. If so, how? I am need of some help here.

Thank you,
Geoff

My 2013 Explorer Sport has reciently lost the "MyKey" function in the cluster. The top speed of my explorer has aslo been locked at 80 MPH. I had no way of changing that myself due to the "MyKey" function no appearing in the cluster. I have search for a way to fix this problem myself and everything I have tried has not worked. So my Explorer is at the dealer that I bought it from, the service department is looking into the problem. They have told me that they have never seen this before and need my explorer all day. On a side note, they told me that my Explorer's speed is limited to 93 MPH anyway. I know this isn't true because I've had my Sport upto 120 MPH on long country roads. I have not modified my Sport in any way. Just currios to know if anybody else out there has had these same issues, if you have had these issues, did you resolve it. If so, how? I am need of some help here.

Thank you,
Geoff
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the handy "Search' feature (upper right). Not much that hasn't been discussed here.

Peter

I am experiencing the exact same issue. My Explorer is at the dealer today for them to look at it. My car is out of warantee now, it just ran out. What I'm getting at is that it seems there is a bug in the electical system that should be repaired by Ford at no charge. Please let me know your thoughts.

I have recieved a call from the service center today. They told me that I need a new cluster. The cost of this is $1200. Not sure if I am going to do this. I've been trying to get in touch with a Ford representative in this Forum, nobody seems to want to reply. Can anybody help with this?

I have recieved a call from the service center today. They told me that I need a new cluster. The cost of this is $1200. Not sure if I am going to do this. I've been trying to get in touch with a Ford representative in this Forum, nobody seems to want to reply. Can anybody help with this?
There are no longer any Ford reps on this Forum. It seems that they have been pulled from all forums. Best I can offer is to link you to a post with their contact info on it and see if you have any luck with that. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...bubble-issue-only.326943/page-26#post-3595640

Peter

I have two keys and one key will not allow the vehicle accelerate past 80 mph. (2014 Base) This is the only restriction on the key. I can not clear the one key with the other key as the manual instructs because I do not get the Mykey option in the settings, it just isn’t there! Maybe the other key is not an Admin? Checking the Internet for possible fixes I find the dealer is the only way to reboot computer and correct the “settings” issue. Have also heard this can be expensive.
Any more info would be nice and appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Being the only driver I have never had experience using or checking out MyKey. The MyKey option should be under "Settings". Whether or not the other key is an "Admin" key or not should not affect whether the setting is there. Curious as to how the speed restriction was set if the option isn't there. I'm guessing that you just acquired this Explorer?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Being the only driver I have never had experience using or checking out MyKey. The MyKey option should be under "Settings". Whether or not the other key is an "Admin" key or not should not affect whether the setting is there. Curious as to how the speed restriction was set if the option isn't there. I'm guessing that you just acquired this Explorer?

Peter
Bought the vehicle from the Subaru dealer. Have no idea why there is not a “my key” in the settings! Also, don’t know why it is just the speed setting that is affected. Maybe it could be a defective fob because I can unlock the doors but unable to lock? Still makes no sense as to why there is no “mykey” setting.

......... Also, don’t know why it is just the speed setting that is affected..............
MyKey allows you to adjust various functions. In this case it appears only the speed was limited.
If no one else has any ideas, perhaps you should visit a Ford dealership for some assistance.

Peter

I have this same issue. Bought my car from CarMax. It was a rental so I used the valet key (the admin key) to disable all the MyKey settings.

A couple years ago the battery died and when I jump started the car the MyKey setting menu was gone. If I use my main key, I cant go over 80mph. If I use my valet key I dont have that limit.

Sounds like your "main key" is actually the MyKey. Has the vehicle battery been disconnected since this happened? If not, you can try disconnecting the negative cable for a few minutes before reconnecting and see if the MyKey option is back. Keep in mind that you will lose some saved memory settings doing this.

Peter

Sounds like fleet max speed programming...nothing to do with mykey.

I have two keys and one key will not allow the vehicle accelerate past 80 mph. (2014 Base) This is the only restriction on the key. I can not clear the one key with the other key as the manual instructs because I do not get the Mykey option in the settings, it just isn’t there! Maybe the other key is not an Admin? Checking the Internet for possible fixes I find the dealer is the only way to reboot computer and correct the “settings” issue. Have also heard this can be expensive.
Any more info would be nice and appreciated.
I'm having the exact same problem. Exact!! Did you get any real answers other than dealer?

I own a Ford Escape 2017 1.5 Turbo Eco Boost 4WD but I mistakenly activated mykey and now I'm restricted to a lot of function in the car. MyKey does not appear on my setting screen. What can I do manually to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated. SEMPER FI!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We don't really cover the Escape much anymore. I moved your thread to the "2011-2017 MFT / In Vehicle Technology" forum with the hope that the system is similar to what is in the Explorer.

Back