MyNameIsAric's 98 FULL width SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MyNameIsAric's 98 FULL width SAS

I will keep this first post updated with my progress so people don't have to weed through all the boring crap associated with these buildup threads.
So far I have:

Front axle:
Dana 60 35 spline kingpin high pinion from a 79 f-250/350
detroit locker
dedenbear knuckles
5.38 gears
alloy usa shafts
longfield u-joints
warn hubs (should have went with drive flanges)
high steer arms with full hydraulic steering

Steering:
2x8 double ended cylinder from surpluscenter.com
steering valve out of an old forklift
misc. hoses and fittings from surpluscenter.com

Rear axle:
Dana 60 30 spline low pinion from a 79 f-250/350 (should have went with a 14 bolt)
full spool
5.38 gears
Disk brake conversion

Tires/wheels:
16.5" hummer h1 8 bolt double beadlocks recentered with custom stazworks centers.
36x12.50 wrangler rt II 6 ply military bias tires(sucky but cheap)

Things I need still:
new rims and tires and hopefully she wont shake so bad at 60mph.

Got axles
IMG_0923.jpg

Got a new truck so i can dismantle the explorer and tow it around when i'm done.
Welded Diff covers
IMG_1817_1_.jpg

PIC-0127.jpg

Rear axle almost done
IMG_1818_1_.jpg

PIC-0124.jpg

Front axle almost done
IMG_1819_1_.jpg

Rear axle under truck
PIC-0183.jpg

Welding up rear driveshaft (yes, it is square)
Photo-0059.jpg

Photo-0058.jpg

Machined parts for the upper control arms
Photo-0060.jpg

Photo-0061.jpg

Photo-0062.jpg

Photo-0067.jpg

Photo-0069.jpg

Made coil buckets
Photo-0068.jpg

Made lower control links
Photo-0070.jpg

Photo-0072.jpg

Photo-0073.jpg

Photo-0074.jpg

Mocking up Front axle and welded up hydraulic ram mount.
Photo-0076.jpg

Photo-0077.jpg

Photo-0078.jpg

Photo-0079.jpg

Photo-0083.jpg

Got myself a forklift orbital for my hydraulic steering
Photo-0084.jpg

Photo-0085.jpg

welded on lower control arm mounts
Photo-0093.jpg

Dropped the front IFS
Photo-0094.jpg

Sent it to the scrap yard
Photo-0096.jpg

IFS gone
Photo-0097.jpg

Front axle starting to go in.
Photo-0102.jpg

Photo-0105.jpg

Photo-0104.jpg

off jackstands
DSC00186.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

Photo-0106.jpg

Took out the A/C system and cruise control. Also removed ABS brake controller, but I ended up having to put it back in later for the speedo to work.
DSC00193.jpg

Mounted new/slightly larger fluid reservoir for the hydro system.
Photo-0271.jpg

Mounted the stock power steering cooler for the hydro system
Photo-0272.jpg

Got this mounted in the engine bay where the A/C junk used to be
Photo-0085.jpg

Had to chop down this thing first though.
Photo-0275.jpg

Made some tie rods out of 100% grade A beef.
Photo-0280.jpg

Installed hydraulic ram and tie rods.
Photo-0301.jpg

View of the filter, and you can see the high pressure hose running from the pump down to the steering valve.
Photo-0302.jpg

This is how i connected the stock steering wheel to the steering valve. 3/8" swivel
Photo-0304.jpg

Better view of the steering valve.
Photo-0306.jpg

Poor planning caused track bar issues
Photo-0307.jpg

Made a new track bar bracket
Photo-0311.jpg

Cut off first track bar bracket
Photo-0320.jpg

Plated for good measure
Photo-0321.jpg

Welded on new track bar bracket. Still had minor interference so i move the axle forward another 1/2"
Also started putting on shocks.
Photo-0352.jpg

Photo-0356.jpg

Photo-0357.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

Tacked a tone ring to the rear d60 carrier
Photo-0360.jpg

Reinstalled tone ring sensor so i can get speedometer back
Photo-0361.jpg

blah blah blah tidied things up and poof.... an explorer that can only go 55mph now. If you have questions, just ask or PM me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i might, but the ground clearance and ring/pinion strength make me want the hp, and i dont want to spend all this money and regret ANYTHING. since the locker/carrier, shafts, knuckles etc. would all transfer over to a hp 8 lug, it doesnt sound like a bad idea, but then i would need a new ring/pinion, master install, setup costs and have to cleanup another housing, so i would rather find a hp to start with.

use ur lp to mock everything up...then ull have time to get a hp44...

I would use the LP D44! You've already bought it and got it for a good price. I would run it until you can find a Hp D60. There's really no reason to swap in a HP D44 in it's place, just go straight up to a D60.

I would not suggest using a spool in the front unless you want increased steering effort. A LockRight or Aussie locker would only be about $100 more than a full spool would be and the steering effort would be a lot less.

Good luck!

i am NEVER using a lunchbox locker again. both of my powertrax failed on me, and are the main reason i'm doing the SAS. This winter was a drag with one wheel drive. the rear never locks up and the front never unlocked(even with the driveshaft taken out) so i blew a cv shaft.. litererally. it went "POP!", grease flew everywhere and it just sort of clanked around until i came to a stop and then i got out and saw it dangling there. So I may use a detroit up front if anything. i was thinking about an ox, but i dont think i want to spend almost 1k on a locker. then again, whats another 300 hundred bucks ontop of a detroit when you're talking about a 5-6k buildup?

I just don't want to invest any money into an axle i'm not going to use. I plan to spend alot of money on this, and i'm not going cut corners, but i'm also not going to spend money twice.

looks like a good buildup.

Pimpin :cool:

To clean the "nooks" on my housing i just sandblasted the entire thing and it cleans most of those out. Just take the axle to your work and sandblast it.

sounds like a sick build but do you really want a spooled front if it is going to be a daily driver...?

hubs will take care of the spool while its on the road. if i go with the dana44, i will probably go detroit, but if i go 60, then i like the idea of a spool... just means i'll have to add hydro assist :D

gotcha...should have thought about that before...good luck on the build:thumbsup:

instead of the TJ radius arm deal, i saw the following images on JoshC's SAS #2 thread, and i really like this idea. It looks alot easier to fab up. Do you guys have any opinions on this setup? Whoever has this rig is using the rims and axles i want to use too.
6.JPG

drive8.jpg

thats a early bronco over on pirate. Post the pic over theere and im sure the owner will turn up. Its on hummer rims as well.

Curious, you want to do disk brake conversion, a detriot locker and an 8 lug rear. Why not 14b? You can get them for the same price as the 60, its stronger and detriots are everywhere for them. You can probably get one with one already in it.

well i already have the d60, and if i put it together, i know the quality going into it, and i'm sure a d60 will be plenty strong for my application. I'm only running 37 or 38's.

besides.... who wants cheby parts on their truck? :D

im only runnin 35s...and you read my thread...

If you put all the costs together, it would be cheaper to buy (and stronger) a stock d60 then to build the hell out of the 44. Occasionally some 78-79 60 housings go on ebay and sell for around 350-400. I would def go that route if i had to do it all again.

haha i already have one:smoke: :bsnicker:

I would use the LP D44! You've already bought it and got it for a good price. I would run it until you can find a Hp D60. There's really no reason to swap in a HP D44 in it's place, just go straight up to a D60.

I would not suggest using a spool in the front unless you want increased steering effort. A LockRight or Aussie locker would only be about $100 more than a full spool would be and the steering effort would be a lot less.

Good luck!

I agree with zainyD on the use of a spool in the front end. It makes the steering alot harder and puts alot more force on the drive line than it really needs. Aussie has a good reputation around and they are life time garunteed. I think your problem with your other lockers is they where in a full time 4x4 axle (cv shafts never had a way to unlock from each other) and they was always fighting each other even if you was not in 4x4.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you put all the costs together, it would be cheaper to buy (and stronger) a stock d60 then to build the hell out of the 44. Occasionally some 78-79 60 housings go on ebay and sell for around 350-400. I would def go that route if i had to do it all again.

you haven't done it the first time. lol:D

But i am definitely looking into a 60. I'm set on my 60 rear, so i at least have something to work on for now.

Anybody have any thoughts about that disc brake conversion kit on pirate? I think i will be ordering that shortly.

on another note, the weather around here isn;t cooperating. i have an operating temperature minimum of 45 degrees, and its still in the 30's around here. So as soon as it warms up a bit more, you will see more progress. I get paid friday, so i will probably order some goodies for the 60 then.

Back