• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Mysterious coolant leak. Experts needed.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone thanks for taking the time to read this post. My X is leaking coolant once again. First it was the radiator and one of the hoses, they were replaced along with the thermostat about a month ago. A new leak started a few days ago, it seems to be coming from the drivers side, right below the water pump but not from it. It's leaking pretty bad and I plan on taking it to the shop on Monday but till then I wanted to know if anyone on here has dealt with this before. So far there has been no overheating. Thanks for any info.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_U6hB...ch?v=a_U6hBqzipA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Lefty2053

Reaction score
City, State
Lazear Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
It's not from the heater core is it?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I'm not sure, I thought it was coming from the water pump weep hole at first but I can't find it anywhere.

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
i had similar issue it looked like slightly to the drivers side of the water pump but i just bought all new hoses, clamps, water pump, t stat, and coolant for under a hundred bucks.. put everything in and thankfully no more leaks... only other thing i could think of is the timing chain cover could be leaking which is a pain to get off since it is connected to the oil pan

R1dd1cK

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport V8 4406 4X4
Did you check the freeze plugs?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I took it to the shop where I get all my work done. The mechanic told me its definitely coming from the timing chain cover. Says I should have the timing chain assembly changed while he's in there too especially since my truck has over 170k on it. He told me he'd charge me a set price of $550. Is this a good price? He also said if I just get the gasket fixed to stop the leak the price would only drop by $50 so I think I'm gonna get the chain/tensioners replaced. :thumbsup:

Lefty2053

Reaction score
City, State
Lazear Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
I took it to the shop where I get all my work done. The mechanic told me its definitely coming from the timing chain cover. Says I should have the timing chain assembly changed while he's in there too especially since my truck has over 170k on it. He told me he'd charge me a set price of $550. Is this a good price? He also said if I just get the gasket fixed to stop the leak the price would only drop by $50 so I think I'm gonna get the chain/tensioners replaced. :thumbsup:

If I could have my timing chain changed for that price I would be all over it. My TDI runs $1000 for a cheap job and for someone that knows what they are doing with the VW's it is around $1400.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
If I could have my timing chain changed for that price I would be all over it. My TDI runs $1000 for a cheap job and for someone that knows what they are doing with the VW's it is around $1400.

I've know the guy since before he opened his shop so he gives me good prices. I didn't explain that I thought it was the timing chain cover leaking and he confirmed it. He knows his stuff. I'll be happy when my X doesn't leak anything at all anymore :D