Mysterious cut wires (1 red 1 white) under seat. What are they? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious cut wires (1 red 1 white) under seat. What are they?

RedBolide

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Howdy! I have a 2000 explorer sport (which is back on the road thanks to this forum!) that I'm trying to sort out. Whenever the car is on, the dash beeps as if something is not right, although there is no seat belt or air bag light on. I looked under the seat, and found a wire that had been cut and taped over. It sits directly under the driver seat. The driver seat belt plug sits next to it. It runs into the driver door jam and goes on the floor toward the back. Does anyone know what this wire goes to, if it's necessary, and whether that could be the source of the beeping from the dash? I've attached some pics. Any response is greatly appreciated!!
IMG_20191106_112820.jpg

IMG_20191106_112825.jpg

IMG_20191106_112825.jpg

Wiring appears factory. The various wires that are typically found under the driver's seat (and passenger seat) are for...

1) The seat belt reminder switch that's located inside the belt buckle receiver
2) The side airbag delete resistor (yellow plastic plug and cap fastened to the rear of the seat frame)
3) The Power supply and ground for power seats

When you first turn your ignition switch to the ON position (not the START position) all the warning lights on your dash should illuminate briefly. This is the "bulb check".. During the bulb check dose your fasten seat belt symbol and air bag warning lights come on? IDK the wire colors, but I think your mystery wires are probably for the seat belt or air bag resistor.

Note: There is the option to not have a chime sounding if you haven't fastened your seat belt. Most find this very annoying and many people turn it off (see how to do this in your owner's manual).

If someone has removed/disconnected the side air bag resistor (most Explorer's don't have side airbags, though I think it might have been optional). Often the resistor that fakes-out the airbag warning light has a poor connection and causes a 3-6 or 3-7 flashing on the air bag warning light. IIRC this will also cause a chime to go off.

Does either of these sound like your problem?

Back